The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TBT #7 Tenn. Waltz
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2021 10:11 am    

TBT #7 Tenn Waltz
https://soundcloud.com/bill-hatcher/tennessee-waltz-lap-steel-solo

this is from 2011. the tune and a few variations. 14 string guitar i made from a piece of maple i found one day when i was buying some wood. it was destined for the trash and i noticed the nice tight grain in it and the guy just gave it to me. it still has the carriage bolt holes in it where it was bolted to something. i must have had it laying around the shop for 30 years or so. when i wanted to make a 14 string, i used it. i also made the keyless tuner. i dont have a 14 string pickup yet so i just ganged a couple of pickups together to cover all the strings. there is no vol/tone control. no need for them. i just plug direct into the console and set all the EQ/vol.

thanks for listening to all these old recordings. maybe someone will get something out of them. i actually only learned and played these arrangements one time and never played them again, so they still are fun for me to hear what i did. i sometimes feel like i am listening to things that someone else recorded!

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 9:55 am    

Very impressive, Bill - both the instrument and the rendition of Tennessee Waltz. I have just started on a pretty basic version (in C6) of that song (one my wife loves, by the way), and I find your version to be a glimpse of the upper bounds of what is possible with it, intimidating, and inspiring all at once. Bravo!

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 10:09 am    

That was wonderful... can you please post the tuning you used on your 14 string for that recording?
Thanks
Dom

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 10:46 am    

Dom Franco wrote:
That was wonderful... can you please post the tuning you used on your 14 string for that recording?
Thanks
Dom

sure.

E A C# E G A B C D E F G G# A low to high

the two low strings i usually tune to whatever will help me as per the key i choose to play a tune in. if i need a low note i can just change one of them to fit.

if i havent done it already, i will probably drop the entire tuning down a step or two. keep it from being so "chimey" sounding and let me increase the string sizes for a bigger sound.

Travis Brown

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2021 3:33 pm    

Beautiful as always. When I used to gig with my dad, we did that song every night, and I always loved it.