The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Mustang Micro Headphone Amp Modeler
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 6:25 am    

Headphone amplifiers have a 1/4" input plug, a small box for batteries and controls and a 1/8" stereo headphone output connection.

A friend of mine uses a Vox headphone amp modeler to great effect in his guitar instrumental recordings so I know headphone amp modelers can be used to record.

The strength of the Fender Mustang Micro headphone amp modeler is supposed to be it's emulations of classic Fender amplifiers so I thought some of you might be interested in this review:
https://www.engadget.com/fender-mustang-micro-headphone-guitar-amp-hands-on-130035742.html
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 12:54 pm    

Thanks for posting this, I'm going to see if two local big box music shops can let me demo on 7 string. I'm pretty happy with the headphone outs on my 3 mini amps, Blackstar fly and coreID and Katana mini, but always looking to get more portable.

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 1:35 pm    

I just got one and I think it will be a great practice tool. Tweed Twin and 65 DR models sound pretty nice, and being able to stream songs from the phone is very handy. It sounds much better than those Vox Amplug things and effects adjustment is pretty easy. My setup is: Clinesmith lap steel->Mustang Micro->headphones. On the iPhone, I use Anytune to grab songs or backing tracks and stream that to the Mustang Micro to play along. Anytune’s great for changing speed and pitch, and being able to mark and loop on sections of a song.

The headphone amp has a bunch of high-gain things I’ll never use, but it does clean and reverb better than anything I’ve tried.

Thanks to Jim for posting this.
(Gene, American Music in upper Fremont has them)

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 May 2021 9:24 am    

I have one and it's a great private practice tool when combined with wired Noise-canceling ear buds. It does require wired earbuds/phones due to sync issues.

It also connects to my iPad via Bluetooth for practice tracks. Very cool.

It also can be used as a USB input to a computer for recording, but I've never tried that. It's only 12 bit and I have better interfaces.

Amazing device for only a hundred bucks.

I'm moving this to ELECTRONICS.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 26 May 2021 6:27 pm    

I got one as well! It’s pretty fun for practicing. I can’t imagine I’ll use the heavy distortion settings, but the deluxe and twins sound pretty good to my ears.

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 8:09 pm     Mustang micro

Does the clean 60's British amp sound anything like the Vox AC30 amp? And does this actually sound decent when used with pedal steel and lap? I have 3 of the Amplugs including the Vox AC and they sound awful to me when used with my steels, almost as if they don't like the pups on the steels maybe??. I too would probably only use the clean settings. I really like my Yamaha THR10 but always looking for a good mini micro amp.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 4:58 am     Re: Fender Mustang Micro Headphone Amp Modeler

Jim Fogle wrote:
Headphone amplifiers have a 1/4" input plug, a small box for batteries and controls and a 1/8" stereo headphone output connection.

A friend of mine uses a Vox headphone amp modeler to great effect in his guitar instrumental recordings so I know headphone amp modelers can be used to record.

The strength of the Fender Mustang Micro headphone amp modeler is supposed to be it's emulations of classic Fender amplifiers so I thought some of you might be interested in this review:
https://www.engadget.com/fender-mustang-micro-headphone-guitar-amp-hands-on-130035742.html

Jim
No issues with sync when using Bluetooth to stream music from your phone?
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2021 9:02 am    

Latency only on the streamed Bluetooth. You hear your guitar on the wired phones. They’re out of sync, but not to your ears!

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2021 12:28 pm     Fender Mustang Micro

Okay, I just received mine and I must say I really like it. Far better than the vox headphone amps I have.
So far I used it with a lap steel, sounds wonderful to my 80 year old ears.
Next will use with a pedal steel.
Dick

James Greer

Davenport, Iowa
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2021 7:09 pm     Fender Mustang Micro

Just got the final shipments for my Brisco Bud. Setup tonight to start going through the Paul Franklin Method. Mustang Micro right into the volume pedal. Headphone jack and then bluetooth to the laptop. Really happy with it. Simple tone setting I used to get started was white, white, red, white.