The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Little Wing
Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 5:11 am    

I started learning PSG 3 months ago. After the 1st month I posted a video so my friend in Oklahoma could hear what it sounds like. I had just learned how to make a minor chord with the A pedal 3 days before I made the video and worked out the chord progression for Little Wing. It took me 3 days to figure out the sound levels on the Video camera. I sent a link to my friend and 4 of my Jam Buddies here in Florida, since we haven't been able to Jam much since the onset of the pandemic. I didn't expect to get 56 views of that video and to tell the truth I was not very proud of my feeble attempt.

Since then I have learned the minor chords using the B+C pedals and I made a backing track to practice with. Here is a link to my progress so far. A few mistakes but I'm workin' on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W_W9zIRPpY

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 8:13 am    

Edward, Playing steel guitar is tough to say the least. Just keep playing and you will improve even more as time goes alone. I am just curious why you use a grooved bar and not a bullet nose bar.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 8:46 am    

It's what I got used to on the resonator. The one in the video is a RR2 from Shubb. It's bigger/heavier than what I use for resonator (LapDawg) and it's easier to lift off the strings than the round bars.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 10:38 am    

That is ok I just noticed it was not a bullet nose bar.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 6:01 am    

I' been trying to use a round bar but it sometimes slips away from me. I'm not giving up on it, just not there yet..

I hope to someday be able to do something like Larry Hutcherson does in this video of Little Wing at the about the 3:12 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvKbbDBeBNo&list=PLWhsR34W6rfQn0mlAI4sFCWx-BRfeaFN_&index=25

Also looking for more examples of licks to add to the mix.At this point I have only been focused on chord changes with/without the pedals. Knees are next om my "things to learn" list.