The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar player John Bonvillain's steel guitars for sale
Alessa Massey

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 4:07 pm    

UPDATE: The white 10-string MSA is still available for $1600. I will not be shipping. If you are local to the New Orleans area or are willing to meet at a reasonable distance please let me know.

I am John Peter Bonvillain's granddaughter. I know a lot of people in Steel guitar circles knew him or had heard about him.

I found these links about him on Facebook that someone posted on Facebook around the the time of his death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ54f8zCalA (Johnny Bonvillain wrote the 1950s "Cajun Pete" Dr. Tichenor's jingles, which can be heard here and also feature Bonvillain on steel guitar.)

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php… (steel guitar forum discussion of Bonvillain)

http://www.lapsteelin.com/…/conversation-with-lee-jeffriess/ (steel guitarist Lee Jeffriess discusses meeting Bonvillain -- see last paragraph)

This is also a brief history of his career when he was inducted into the Louisiana West Bank Musicians's Hall of Fame:

http://westbankmusicianshof.com/2003%20Inductees.html#name41

John Peter Bonvillain was born on November 26, 1931, in Ashland, Louisiana, raised in Houma and New Orleans, and now resides in Gretna, Louisiana.

He's been playing steel guitar for 61 years. His first job was with Irvin Tuttle and has played with many bands around New Orleans, Houma, and in Mississippi. He played on WWL radio with Bill Cason from 1948 til 1955 and at that time recorded with many bands at the Blue Room of the Roosevelt (Fairmont) Hotel. He wrote and played on the Dr. Tishner commercial, and made the first Charman Tissue commercial at WDSU radio. He has played with Elvis Presley, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams, Tex Williams, Sam Butera, Joe Jones, Barbara Lynn, Johnny Horton, Jeannie Pruitt, Little Jimmy Dickens, Russ "C.J. Cheramie" Wayne, Vin Bruce, Leroy Martin, Russ Russell, and Billy Fayard. He also wrote and recorded songs for "Gyp the Jitter Bug" and Russ Wayne (aka C.J. Cheramie,) and recorded on Capital records.

Mr. Bonvillain played just about every club on the Westbank. He wrote and recorded campaign songs for Vernon Wilty, Assessor of Jefferson Parish, Jack Riley, Sheriff of St. Bernard Parish, and played and campaigned for Earl K. Long, Governor of Louisiana.

From 1963 till the present, Mr. Bonvillain has taught music and operates his music store located on Lafayette Street in Gretna, Louisiana.

In the summer of last year, we unexpectedly lost my father, John Edward Bonvillain, also a musician.

We are now sadly in the process of selling some of the items we have left, and I came here to sell my grandfather's two steel guitars.

Pictures are included:

Please contact me if you are interested. The prices are $1,400 and $1,600 obo. We want them to go to someone who can love and appreciate them.

Thank you,
Alessa Bonvillain Massey

Last edited by Alessa Massey on 4 Dec 2023 11:03 am; edited 3 times in total

Rex Lindsey

Ellisville, MS USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 4:39 pm     Msa

Are those both MSA steels

Do you have more pictures

Chuck Spears

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 7:27 pm    

I'll take the brown 12 string. My phone number is 903-340-9674. Thanks

Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 8:14 pm    

Message sent!!

Jeff Rady

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2021 8:04 am    

Message Sent!

Charles White

Louisiana
Post  Posted 27 May 2021 1:27 pm    

Is the e9th still available. I live in Albany, LA. Please let me know at fiddlesawer@yahoo.com thank you