The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Lashley LeGrande II - Need Changer Parts
Gary Samuelson

Granbury,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2021 5:17 pm    

The 4th String popped, stung the %^$#$#^ out of my finger and also BROKE the string peg off!!! . I take it this is the control finger for an all pull changer. I need this part or if necessary the entire changer. Where can I get this and I need in ASAP in the DFW, TX area. Thanks in advance for any help. Smile

Emmons LeGrande II SD10, GFI Ultra SD, Quilter Steelaire, Quilter 202, Tommy Huff Cabinet w/ Eminence TT15, Sarno Black Box, Sarno Earth Drive, Fender Tele 52 Hotrod Reissue, CF Martin 0-21, CF Martin 000-28EC, Taylor 314ce, Fender Champ 40, Fender Princeton 65 ,Bose L1 Compact, Yamaha MG10XU

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 4:47 am     changer

You might take the split raise bar off and carefully drill the roll pin out that's left and replace it. You can get them at hardware. and then polish groove in finger finger

Gary Samuelson

Granbury,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 8:52 am    

Thanks for the info. Talked with Billy Knowles also... no easy way to fix it... will take a little time. Sad
Emmons LeGrande II SD10, GFI Ultra SD, Quilter Steelaire, Quilter 202, Tommy Huff Cabinet w/ Eminence TT15, Sarno Black Box, Sarno Earth Drive, Fender Tele 52 Hotrod Reissue, CF Martin 0-21, CF Martin 000-28EC, Taylor 314ce, Fender Champ 40, Fender Princeton 65 ,Bose L1 Compact, Yamaha MG10XU

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 1:02 pm     Re: changer

Bob Cox wrote:
You might take the split raise bar off and carefully drill the roll pin out that's left and replace it. You can get them at hardware. and then polish groove in finger finger

Bob and Gary,

Emmons used solid steel 1/16" dia. dowel pins, not roll or spring pins, which are not nearly as strong. Of course it's best to replace the changer finger but in a pinch I have successfully drilled a new hole below the broken off pin and pressed in a new one.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Gary Samuelson

Granbury,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 1:59 pm    

That's what I am going to attempt and if I fail .... and I can't find a complete finger assembly, I'll end buying a new changer I guess. Bobby Knowles told me you cannot get the rivets for the assembly.

Thanks for the input guys.... wish me luck. Smile

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 2:26 pm     Changer Finger Repair

Gary,

Check your email and give me a call before you attempt this.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2021 6:57 am    

Should you attempt to do this try to drill up at an angle so that the string ball won't slip off when pulling.

Gary Samuelson

Granbury,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 2:14 pm    

SUCCESS!!! I want to thank all of these guys for their help. I drilled a new hole, in an upward angle, used JB Weld to make sure it stayed in, and so far all is well.

Drilling a 1/16" hole with hand drill l into stainless steel is no easy task. The bit will wobble a bit and caused the hole not to be snug, hence the JB Weld. would have been much easier for
a machine shop!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2021 3:50 pm    

Hopefully it was polished aluminum Smile - congrats n a job well done!