The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BMI Pedal Steel Guitars - Show Us Yours!
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2021 2:33 am    

I'm thinking early 70s. Not sure. Don Fritche at BMI could give you a fair estimate from the photo or description of the changer end.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 May 2021 11:57 am     My BMI S-10

Here are a couple of poor photos I took with an Android tablet.

The guitar was built for me in 2015, 3 pedals and 5 knee-levers. It plays well and sounds great, even with a hack like me playing it!

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2021 3:57 pm    

Jeff - With that style endplate but the later model changer housing, you're probably looking at late 1978.In 1979 they did away with the individual pullrod holes and just used a full window opening.
PRR

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 10:59 am    

Here is an early S12 I rebuilt and set up as extended E9. SN 0073. It's probably from around 1973. Notice the neck rails going all the way down and bolting to the changer. It also had a coil tap on the pickup.

Great sounding rig and super easy to work on. I only had issue with the strings being spaced a little too close for me. Sold it to a touring player out of Oregon who seemed happy with it.

Didn't have any vinyl so tried out some cowhide. It was missing the BMI decal, so I just put one of my microphone stickers in place. Not trying to take any credit for BMI work. Just needed something where the BMI decal used to be.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 3:51 pm    

Even though I really liked my BMI, I sold it. I put an awful lot of time into refurbishing it. However, due to the weight of the guitar and some problems with my shoulders, I decided to sell it. It's now in good hands. I put my money in a GFI S-10 Expo, which I really like - a lot. I think it's going to be a keeper.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 4:35 pm    

Ken, after all that beautiful restoration work I would have been hard pressed to ever let it go. Glad you're liking the GFI. I haven't sat behind one so no clue to it's sound or feel. They are made here in Missouri about 4 hours from me. Maybe in the future I will take one home.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 6:53 am    

I understand, Larry. Sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. I don't regret getting the GFI at all. I couldn't get the GFI until I sold the BMI. This GFI only weights 26 lbs. I like to polish stuff, so I worked on the GFI legs - I can see myself in them. Very Happy

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 1:54 pm    

Ken, that's one job where you can realize your rewards at the end. I tend to clean and polish as well but fatigue usually stops me from overkill.

Ron Bailey

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2023 9:11 pm     Bmi D-10 8x5

this in my 1978 BMI D-10 8X5 rosewood Mica

Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2023 2:59 pm    

This is my 2017 BMI, Cowboys tuning ! It’s been an amazing guitar, I’m actually going to have it up for sale at the end of the year ! They are definitely underrated!

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2023 4:05 pm    

Add me to the list! I picked up this S10 (1980s??) used last fall in preparation for a fly date in March. I had been planning to have a new steel built by another maker, but the BMI was so good I cancelled the order. It plays smoothly, it's easy to work on, and it sounds great. Even with the GeorgeL E-66, it has a nice vintage bite to it. I had given up on playing S10s a couple of years ago, but this one feels and sounds so good that I've been forced to reconsider.

Kudos and thanks to Don, who was very helpful with parts and advice for adding a fourth pedal and a vertical knee.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2023 4:15 pm    

As mentioned above, Don built my S-10 for me in 2015.

I really enjoy playing it and love the tone.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Ron Bailey

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2023 7:47 pm     Bmi 1982

My 1982 Customized BMI S-10 3X5

Jared Ruari

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2024 5:42 pm    

Here's my BMI push/pull U12, setup with a 7x5 Eddie Long Copedent.

I believe at least a couple other forum members have owned this guitar in the past. You'll be glad to know that it's in good shape and I play it most every day.

Dan at BMI was really helpful as I was researching this guitar before buying it locally off of Craigslist.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 8:39 am    

Bought my BMI from an attic collection in 2022. Never had heard of them but the price was right($500).Never had played before and knew NOTHING about PSGA.

Needless to say it needed a lot of rework in order to play right.

Being knid of a mechanical guru I set about to virtually rebild it. Now not knowing anything about them I joined this group....WHEW what a smart decision.

The people on this group readily jumped in and guided me through all the problems and resolutions. I can't thank you all enough.

This guitar plays well and does not require adjustments except for changing strings and occasioanl cleaning and oiling.

To me, BMI guitars are an excellent made instrument and should share the write ups with all others.

Sam

PS.... The guitar plays well BUT I don't