The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy Dodd - Inside His Transplant Journey
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 2:31 pm    

Mrs Dodd, you are an incredible lady, and thank you for sharing that beautiful story, my heart is with you.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 5:27 pm     Tommy

Donna, our prayers are still with you. You and Tommy are very special people. I remember in Mt. Vernon steel show telling Tommy of my Eye surgery of which I was legally blind. My surgery went really well, and Tommy said to me, You had help from above. I will never forget that talk he and I had.. Much love and caring to you Donna. Larry and Jean

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 6:47 pm    

What a journey. We wish so much that it had turned out differently. God bless you Donna. Please stay with us on this forum. We need you.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 6:56 pm    

I also never met Tommy, but saw him in Dallas. You can tell he really enjoyed himself.

Donna, you're a Saint and will have a special place in Heaven also.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 7:51 pm    

Hi Donna.. just have to say Tommy was a very lucky man to have such a great lady in his life! Thank you for being you! I’m so sorry for you’re loss .. just lost for words here... thank you. Ron

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2020 6:51 am    

God Bless You, Donna Dodd. Thank you for sharing the journey you and Tommy have been on together. Sure does touch the heart.

As I read through, I was so happy to read how Tommy knew and loved The Lord. With that in mind, we know how great a place he's in right now, with The Lord. Praise God..!!

Again, thank you and God Bless you.

Chris "Tiny" Olson

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2020 7:20 am    

Thank you for sharing your story. Prayers for you and yours.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2020 10:03 am    

Wow...what a journey. I knew it had been rough, but wow. To be honest, I'm not sure I could've gone through what Tommy did. I have a new found respect for his grit & determination. And the same goes out to you, Donna. God bless you both.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Duane Brown

Reno,Nevada USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2020 10:25 am    

Dear Donna,
Thank you for sharing yours and Tommy's story.Praise God he had such a relationship with Jesus. Your story really got me. We know God places special people where they are needed most. You were and are one special lady.
Cyndy and I always enjoyed seeing you and Tommy at steel shows and I was looking forward to seeing you this year in Dallas. You are and will continue to be in our prayers.
Cyndy and Duane

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 6:41 am    

Donna, thanks for sharing your journey with Tommy. It was so touching and I could feel every word you have in your heart for Tommy.
God bless you.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 7:30 am    

Donna, Thanks for sharing, I know it is hard to lose someone like Tommy. Our prayers are with you.
Thank you for all you do for the bunch of us.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2020 7:55 am    

So sorry for your loss Donna. Thanks for sharing your well-written story about Tommy's fight and struggle.

Marlin Gengenbach

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2020 9:59 am     Tommy

Thank you for sharing Donna. I can relate somewhat thinking back to when I lost my life's partner in 2008...and also with my present wife who had a liver transplant in 2013. I so admire the faith you and Tommy shared. So happy I had the chance to visit with Tommy on serveral occasions at the steel shows...what a great player he was, with so much modesty. God Bless you, Donna!

Joel Johnston

Mead, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2020 10:45 am     RIP Tommy

Donna - Thanks for that loving insight. I don't believe anyone in the world of steel guitar ever had as much fun cranking out a tune than did Tommy Dodd! I loved watching him work! His immersion in a song was total and unique.

I recall sitting in front of him in one of the jam rooms at the Phoenix show two or three years ago - it was recent because he had lost a ton of weight. He played Dancing Queen and Billy Jean, certainly a couple of trademark TD tunes that few players would even think of carving out on the steel guitar. Then he played "So Sad To Watch Good Love Go Bad" by the Everly Bros and gave everyone in the room goose bumps.

I will miss seeing and hearing Tommy at steel guitar events. Sending you deepest condolences Donna.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2020 2:38 pm    

Donna, I can't help but be inspired by Tommy's strength and courage, and your dedication to one another. God bless you.

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2020 8:56 am    

Donna, God bless you and hold you in His arms.

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2020 8:44 am    

Donna, you are such a great lady. I am so shocked at this lose of a great player. I hadn't heard of Tommy's passing til now. Didn't know Tommy, but had met him at a Debary, Fl steel show several years ago. In conversation I mentioned that I was only a student of the Pedal Steel. He so graciously said he also was still learning about the steel. - God be with you.
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2020 7:48 pm     Tommy

DONNA, OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. IT'S BEEN A REAL PLEASURE KNOWING YOU BOTH AND ALWAYS ENJOYE DOING BUSINESS WITH YOU BOTH. TOMMY LEAVES A MEMORABLE LEGACY...GOD BLESS...CLARK AND LUCY

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 7:54 pm    

Someone once told me that when an individual's personality and presence are larger than life, the absence of that presence leaves a huge void. Tommy's personality and presence were just that...larger than life. But Donna, know that had the tables been flipped and Tommy was the one left standing, the void would have been just as large for him. Your personalities were matched and together you two were a huge presence at every steel show I saw you attend. I know you fought with all you had to keep him here, and I know he fought with all he had to stay here. Beyond that, it is knowing you two made every second count for each other. It is quite evident you were his angel through all of this, and I want to share in everyone's thanks that you kept us all informed of Tommy's journey. When so many are sharing in thoughts and prayers, it transcends what we initially feel is a small circle around us. Pam and I were touched so many times by your words that you so graciously shared with everyone.

Joe Rogers

Bill Nicholson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2020 12:15 pm    

Donna - I finally decided to write a few words on the "gone home" part of the forum to express our feelings and sorrow ....as well as our love and appreciation for you. You wrote a wonderful description of such a very difficult time in life that really only you and Tommy know the details of what you both went through. We are so grateful that Mary Ann and I were able to visit Tommy in the ICU at Duke University Hospital in January. Thanks for letting us stay with you and visit. We were so worried at that time and we saw first hand just a glimpse of the difficult daily process Tommy and you endured at Duke. 
I want to add a little bit to Tommy's journey you described. Only a few close friends and family were aware of the start of the IPF disease back in 2014. I was riding  with Tommy to the Dallas show and Tommy said something like " I still got this nagging cough" and  "I need to get this checked out when I get home". I called him a few weeks later and he had been to the doc.  Tommy said the X-rays showed spots on his lungs and they were going to do a biopsy. We kept in touch. Then, Tommy told me he had this awful disease IPF (Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis) which I had never heard of.  I immediately read about it and learned that most people do not survive beyond 5 years. Tommy asked us not to discuss his illness outside of the very few close friends that he confided in. We all respected his wishes and watched him perform his music like a champion for the next 4+ years, never mentioning his illness.  He was outstanding at the big shows as well as the smaller ones like our Georgia SG Association. He continued to play all over Atlanta, Ga., and many steel shows elsewhere.  I admired his courage. I admired his strength to go through the lung transplant process and the following complications. He was courageous in facing what life presented and he was able to do that knowing his faithful and loving spouse was at his side all the way. Remembering....the special song you guys shared...." Surely the Presence of the Lord".  Donna -  Thank you for everything. We love you guys.

Bill Paisley

Athens, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2021 12:27 pm    

May God's Comforting Love be with you

Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 5:15 am     " I`m Still Around" Bishop Ronnie P. Hall"

To Donna The Dearest of friends,
I find myself unable to write to you that I`m speechless, to the time of loss of "he who spent his love, an his life with you," and "you, with your life with Him." It is an arena that cannot be spoke of, for the both of you. I truly am still in shock, but "He" above all things "knows" and yet can sooth all our pains and sadness, {if needed}. At this time, I want to say I`m praying for you and the both your families!
From The Hall Families
With Love
Ron

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 1:09 pm    

Donna, you and Tommy have always been very special to us since we met. God gives us what we need which is not always what we want. You'll be reunited with Tommy at the time HE intends it to be. You both have been a Blessing to us and I thank God for the love you so unselfishly showed us through this difficult time. Your reward will be Heavenly!

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 4:31 pm    

Donna, thank you for sharing this. He was such a great musician - I remember seeing him play at the ISGC in St. Louis in 2012; he was playing an Emmons LeGrande, and I thought, "Oh, that's the tone I want to have" - he sounded so good (I was thrilled that you and Tommy came to see me when I was in Atlanta a dozen or so years ago). I'm glad that he had love and happiness (and you!) in his life. I'm picturing the two of you singing, dancing, and laughing.

You both have had such a journey. His is over,he's at rest, but yours is continuing, and I know that he is living in your heart, in your sons, and in all of us who were recipients of his wonderful music.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 15 May 2021 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 2:50 pm    

Donna ,
What a beautiful story told with such love. We all care about you both. So sorry for your loss.