The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone ditch the D-10 for an S-10 + C6 Lap Steel??
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 6:39 pm    

Just curious. I got a GFI D-10 recently that I'm digging........but part of me enjoys playing C6 on my non-pedal Fender 8 more. Something about the tone and immediacy of the non-pedal speaks to me.

I'm not making any rash decisions, but it's something that got me thinking.

Anyone else?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 3:23 am    

For all indents and porpoises, I have. The D-10 hasn't been out of its case in months (years?). I play E9 on an Emmons student model, and C6 (and G6 -- among others) on 6-string, and A6 on 7-string lap steels.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 3:54 am    

Jim,
Just a suggestion, tune strings 2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 on your E9th to a C6th. This gives you 8 strings of C6th. I put this change as a pedal on 2 guitars so I could cover a few songs as needed. After having it I realized how much music is available, especially if one weaves their way in and out of that pedal. Plus it saves me from carrying an extra lap guitar.

**Note: For several years I entertained trying this, but I was convinced to do it once Mike Sigler put a partial change on his GFI and blew us away.

Good luck!!

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 11 May 2021 3:58 am    

Jim,
Just a suggestion, tune strings 2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 on your E9th. This gives you 8 strings of C6th. I put this change as a pedal on 2 guitars so I could cover a few songs as needed. After having it I realized how much music is available, especially if one weaves their way in and out of that pedal. Plus it saves me from carrying an extra lap guitar.

**Note: over several years I entertained trying this, but I was convinced once Mike Sigler put a partial change on his GFI and blew us away.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 12:08 pm    

I use the Sigler pedal on my SD-10. It's a lot of changes on one pedal but it works really well on my GFI Ultra.
Turns into 8 strings of C6th. Pretty cool! Cool

Marty Broussard

Post  Posted 11 May 2021 1:12 pm    

Garry is correct about lowering string #3. I forgot to mention that you could do what he’s doing and have your choice between the D or G note with 9 strings.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 2:14 pm    

I'm not gonna ditch pedal steel C6 - having the pedals available is important to me on some stuff.

But my current primary band does a lot of proto-rockabilly, very early electric country, and western swing, and I think the nonpedal sound often works better. So I sometimes also carry an 8-string lap steel or a console D8. On the D8, one tuning is high (G/G# on top), another is lower (E on top). This gives E13 with 3rd on top or C6 with 5th on top on the front neck, and C6 with 3rd on top or A6 with 5th on top on back neck, with other small variations possible with a tuning tweak. With just the single-neck lap, I generally go with the E on top.

I go to rehearsals mostly with my aluminum Clinesmith 8-string. Of course, it's a lot easier to haul. But it also forces me to figure out more stuff with just the bar, which I think is also good for my pedal steel playing. I even played my last two gigs last year with just a console. But I usually have a pedal steel at gigs. Usually D10 or Universal 12.

John Ely

Minneapolis Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 8:57 am     Sigler Pedal

To those of you who've tried out the "Sigler Pedal" change to convert open E9 to GECAGECA C6, what pedal did you put it on? Where does Mike put it? Thanks,
John

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 9:09 am    

I've got 5 floor pedals on my SD-10 so I put it on pedal 5. Not sure where Mike has it but he also uses the E & F knee levers with it. I just hold down pedal 5 and grab a "handful" like Jeff Newman taught me. Laughing

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 9:50 am    

I do a similar thing on my SD10 pedal 5 but based on A6

Tab:

F#   F#
D#   D#
G#   G#
E   E
B   C#
G#   A
F#   F#
E   E
D   C#
B   A

Adding to this my B to A# lever splits the C# to C creating a C6 pedal 6 voicing and Es to D# lever is a segment of C6 pedal 5.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 10:06 am    

C6 can be as simple or complex as you want. you can play all day long and never touch the pedals or levers, they simply allow you to get far more chords and intervals than is otherwise possible.

if you just want a straight 6th tuning, there's several ways to get that on E9. most common is lowering your Es a halfstep, which gives you a 6 chord on every string but 9.

C6 at the first fret:

G
E
A
E
C
A
G
E

C

John Ely

Minneapolis Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 10:34 am     Sigler Pedal

Yep you're right Scott. Can use AB for a 6th tuning as well. Using those two methods, and still having access to E9 voicings, gives you all kinds of sounds. I like playing F6 for example with E's lowered and 'home fret' being 6th fret, then F at 8 with AB, then simple move to Bb7 at 9th fret 8,6 and 5 with E's raised, on up to C7 at 13th fret with ABE levers engaged, etc. All kinds of fun!
John

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2021 5:26 am    

Following this thread with interest. Lately I have been playing mostly non-pedal Stringmaster D-8, also play E9th but don't take it to gigs as often.