The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Imrovisation Blending Major, Minor & Pentatonic Scales
Johnny Pal

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 10:07 pm    

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A DVD, COURSE ETC ON THE METHODOLOGY/TECHNIQUE ON IMPROVISATION/SOLOING ETC i.e. BLENDING MAJOR, MINOR & PENTATONIC SCALES ETC. THE CLOSEST TUTORIAL I'VE COME TO IS MICKEY ADAM'S INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO ON YOUTUBE ENTITLED "BEX 27C Pentatonic Excercise" @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzvcPuRseI&t=14s

It'S an EXCELLENT TUTORIAL and covers not only the Pentatonic, but also blends the major and minor scales. It's really good and I'd like to learn more about this subject. Thanks!
Johnny Pal (Looking to graduate from beginner to intermediate!)

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 7:30 pm    

Both Travis Toy tutorials and Paul Franklin’s course on Music Masters will give you exactly what you’re looking for, and a whole lot more.

I guarantee it, from having taken lessons with Travis and seen his course, and having done a year on Paul’s - very very good stuff, in my opinion as a professional player and having taught music for over 30 years.

Good luck - just asking this shows you’re absolutely asking the right questions!

Johnny Pal

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 8:46 pm    

Hi Christopher: Yes, I always had a good sense after watching Travis Toy's YouTube videos; clear headed, straight talkin guy. Don't know what his rate is but will check it out. Also investigating PF's course. Looking for an immersion course in improv, is that something that you found in his course? Anywho, much thanks for the steering and thanks for your comment about being on the right track!
Johnny

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 9:03 pm    

Absolutely found that immersion from both of them - they are very into improvisation of all kinds.

I’ve been a pro jazz guitar player for a long time, so improvisation is something I’m used to, and my reasons for taking lessons and doing the course was much more about playing the instrument better, however, I could see the ideas and the depth both of them were presenting were top notch. I think you’ll be very satisfied!

Johnny Pal

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 10:54 pm    

Totally gotcha Christopher ~ given your background, you're coming from a good place to qualify your recommendations. Thanks again for taking the time to give a referral!
Sincerely
Johnny

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 5:00 pm    

Hey Johnny

There’s another option I should mention, that I didn’t think about earlier since I’m not sure if he’s teaching right now, but Buck Reid is a really good teacher and a frighteningly good improviser (scary in a good way!). I took a two hour lesson from him on Skype that was a real eye opener, and he’s a master player on both E9 and C6.

Anyway - good luck on your musical journey, all 3 of these have helped me a lot, and are great people, which matters a lot to me also...

Johnny Pal

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 8:44 pm    

Aloha Christopher, I fastened my seat belt as I watched Buck Reid blaze through Alabama Jubilee ripping through it at a hyper fast and endless scalar speed. "Frightenly" is a good word to describe his mach two speed. Consequently he's now also in my bucket list thanks to you.

Tanx again Christopher!
Johnny