The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has Covid Zapped all the fun out of playing steel?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 8:50 pm    

As some facilities are opening up now, and I am once again getting called to play more gigs, I find it harder to get excited about playing my steel guitar.

I had to really push myself to rehearse for my performances the last two weeks. I procrastinated and put very little effort in it.

Up until the pandemic shut everything down last year, I was continually working on new songs, and making BIAB backing tracks and enjoying the process.

I don't know if I just became lazy (old age setting in) or if the joy of performing has left me forever?

This year has become a time of reflection, frustration, concern for family and friends and re-evaluation of priorities... Am I just in a funk? Anyone else feel like this?

Dom Sad

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 12:34 am    

A common theme, from what I've been reading. If you practise acceptance, which we've all had to do lately, it works by reducing your excitement!

I'm getting old too. Our band has some dates in the book and I'm now practising again in cold blood. I have to work hard as I'm the weakest player. We're all experienced performers, but they have all played their instruments since childhood whereas I'm an eight-year novice on steel. I have to swim hard to stay afloat.

I don't doubt however that once I'm back in front of some sort of crowd the buzz will return Smile

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 1:10 am    

I have been happy playing at home. I haven't lost my love of learning new material and new tunings. I have no desire to play in a band anymore. Maybe it's temporary, but I just don't. I've been in some band since I was 15 yrs old and always got excited for gigs. Now I dread them at 61. I prefer to spend my time just playing and recording by myself. Love the steel guitar and music, just don't enjoy the "scene" anymore. Confused

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 1:16 am    

I have had ZERO Steel gigs since March 2020. I refocused all of my time to the Telecaster and B Benders. I have been playing duo gigs almost non stop thru 2020 and into 2021.

I dare say I am on guitar 100 % of the time now. The full band gigs we have booked for 2021 we are bringing in young ace Brett Crisp for Steel duty. Brett , if you don't know him, is the nephew of Terry Crisp. He lived with Terry for a few years in Nville and toured with Terri Clark for a few years as well . He's an Emmons Push Pull nut ! We've know Brett for a long time, before he moved to Nashville way back , he played with us on and off for quite a while. I was able to play either Tele or Steel on our shows. I use all 3 sides of my brain to remember all the parts to all the songs !

YES, I miss the Steel and my previous 2x month gig with the other band. I was on that show for 5 years non stop. Covid ended that and many other things as well.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 14 May 2021 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 1:54 am    

Give it time. We're all experiencing some level of PTSD, and only some semblance of normalcy and time to ease back into it will be the cure.

Don't do what I did when the pandemic hit........sold my steel, thinking "This is it. I'm done."

I've since bought TWO pedal steels and 2 lap steels, to make up for it. Guess I wasn't done!! Embarassed

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 4:03 am    

I don’t feel that way at all. In Florida I’ve been able to play outside the whole time. Fewer gigs, yes, but enough.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 7:07 am    

Nope.

As far as playing goes, I think it comes down to "Why am I playing this contraption?". If it's not primarily about the pure joy of playing, then a year like the last one certainly has to take a toll. More specifically, if the rationale for playing is primarily about playing out, making money, socializing, and so on, then the last year has been a massive downer, for sure.

For me, the process of and time spent in "reflection, frustration, concern for family and friends and re-evaluation of priorities..." has been a useful thing. Something I think I have always tried to make time for, but was frequently too bloody busy to really do. So the last year and a half has been real challenging for me. But I think I'm coming out of this mess in better shape than I went into it. Lord willing - it ain't all up to me.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 7:18 am    

Hey Dom, Maybe join or start a band? I did a midi solo on weekends for about 4 or 5 years when I was going through college. I sold all that gear when I moved to Portland in '95, joined a band, and have had alot of fun playing with other players.
Another idea, maybe change your venue focus to restaurants and coffee shops? I think in the current gigging climate a solo show like yours could do well.
Just a thought.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 8:49 am    

It’s only natural for a life passion to wane here and there. The pandemic did put things into perspective. There have been other similar posts recently. Along with some of the other excellent suggestions here for how to get a kick start, how about going out to hear what other local players are doing? Or, if you live in a live music dead zone like I do, just spend a few hours with Spotify or Napster and listen to something old something new something blue.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 10:24 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 16 May 2021 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 10:33 am    

Not me.
Doing our 6th show of the year the 22nd.
I feel like im at my best right now.
Hope it will get better for everyone.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 May 2021 1:56 am    

I sat down behind the Steel yesterday for a good bit of time, apparently I haven't lost all that much after a year.

It appears that NC Gov Cooper has lifted all indoor restrictions ( we think, its not really clear ) so its remotely possible we may get called back to the bi- monthly gig. Last we heard was the restaurant does want us to come back. So, we'll see.

Many here in NC are still confused by the lastest order by Gov Cooper.

Anyway, I'm back to some daily Steel sit down .

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2021 11:24 am    

It's s'posed to be fun?
Who'd a'thunk it!

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 16 May 2021 2:42 pm    

Not the Covid-19 epidemic, but what it did to the already anemic paying-gig business. It strikes me that the guys posting on this thread who are still regularly playing live are the ones who are jazzed about music.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 19 May 2021 11:58 am    

I finally had the time to rebuild the steels, amps, band room, book and write charts…we got a lot of the gigs back in Feb-Mar (limited bandstands and attendance)here in Kauai….tourists are let back in slowly….locals were happy to hear live music again!! Very Happy

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 5:46 pm    

One thing I have noticed is that gigs are paying much better after the 'Rona year...only thing that kills playing for me is the lack of musical sophistication of the audiences here in Florida...you can play anything you want, as long as it's Southern rock, which I hate.
So, I formed my own band & we are doing really well now...classic country, 50s,60s, & British Invasion.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 5:57 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that gigs are paying much better after the 'Rona year..

Really?!?! Here in the Philadelphia area, almost every venue is asking musicians to take a pay cut to help them out, after a terrible last year (those that survived)......

......which, as we know, will never get raised back up again later. At least, not willingly. Rolling Eyes

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 6:51 pm    

It's been a time of re-invention for me, for sure. I'm back in a local/regional market, so I'm working up a Vocal/Acoustic/Solo set, and trying to find the right couple of gigs that allow me the sideman / steel satisfaction. Like anything in life, it's all about bringing the right attitude and work eithic.

I'll figure out with a little time, which paths are the best forward for me. By all means guys, create and work to find those outlets. We all need them.

Sincerely,

David Spires

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 7:36 pm    

June 3rd 2021 update: I just played another gig today and I am able to ask for more money at most venues now that they’re opening up I just say because of Covid I need more money. and my joy of playing the steel has returned somewhat especially after learning a few new songs and revisiting old ones I hadn’t been performing. Today I didn’t even need to wear a mask while entering the building, setting up or playing. It was very nice Winking

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 10:06 pm    

I play dobro at acoustic jam sessions and will play steel at home so I can try out more songs for steel. My plan is to keep my Jackson steel set up at home, and play dobro for jam sessions and church band. I still love playing steel and always will. The virus didn't take the fun out of playing steel for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2021 10:03 am    

I've continued my lessons practiced steel just a bit more during Covid than before. However that probably is also due to the drying up of bass gigs and me departing both of my bass groups.

Right now I'm jamming on steel with some fellows nearby and working toward a gig-ready set.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 8:57 pm     For every Reaction there is an.....

The plague the covid whatever you want to call it redefined many people: goin out to movies stores and other outward bound activities. It may never come back and i say that with a heavy heart... there is something addicting about being in your own bubble your own world and then it seems like your default position.... they whoever you want to blame have stolen and redefined American culture in a very negative way. When i saw Biden on a skype call to Russia wearing a mask it seemed like the perfect example of the political mindset those monitors could transmit foreign cooties...

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2021 9:27 pm    

Peter, I know this is a frustrating time for all of us, and I'm sure everyone has a political spin on what's going on. But could we please all follow b0b's rules and keep politics off the forum? This is a vital, interesting topic for working musicians, and it would be a shame to get it closed down. Thanks, bud!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 7:26 am    

What with the enforced cessation of paid work (pretty much all of 2020), my ill-judged move back to the UK last Summer, as well as a general lethargy that's beset me with some worsening health-issues, I'm struggling to find any motivation.

Yes, my steel and my guitars are set up and ready to play (albeit purely for my own edification just now), but I cannot find a vestige of touch or even a decent tone.

The way I'm sounding, I can't believe that anyone ever paid me to play at all.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2021 11:39 am     It was not "political"

It was what it was he was wearing a mask on a skype call, now I cannot say that without the PC police.. why is a fact a political position ?