The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Still looking for someone to repair a pedal steel.
Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 10:45 am    

I live in the Panama City, Fla area and I am still looking for someone that can repair a Sierra U 12 pedal steel guitar. Does anyone know of anybody, that can work on this. I was doing a complete re-string as the strings went sour, shortly after Hurricane Michael and now I have a popping noise when I depress my "C" pedal. I don't know about anywhere else, as I stopped, based on the advice of my friend, Jack Goodson, who has passed away. The guitar is sitting in it's case since and I'm about ready to think about just selling it and getting rid of the headache.

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Johnny

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 11:17 am    

Jim Palenscar in California is your man for the job…

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 1:01 pm    

I can certainly help you if you’re willing to ship it.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 1:13 pm    

good luck Johnny. I know that Kelcey has been getting rave reviews and also that Jim Palenscar is an expert with the older Sierras.

I'm very sorry to hear about Jack Goodson. he loved his Emmons and Sierra guitars, didn't he? (among others) I bought a Sierra Session from him a few years ago and got to see him perform in Gulfport some time after that, both steel and fiddle, with his sweet Martha singing a few as well. I don't know if I've met two nicer people.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 2:21 pm    

Yeah, I miss Jack, believe me. I enjoyed sitting and talking with him, picking his brain for tips and tricks, and many things like that. He was also good with U12's, even the Sierra brand plus he had a couple at his home.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 2:25 pm    

I have talked with Jim, on a couple of things and he helped me figure out how to fix a tuning issue with the tuning head. I haven't ruled him out.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 4:45 pm     Kelcey Oneil

I would recommend Kelcey Oneil
He does very good work on all repair work.
He has done several rebuilds and builds for me and did a great job on all of them.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 7:52 pm    

I will be talking with him tomorrow, I hope. Still looking for someone much closer though, if possible. Thanks everyone.

Philip Mitrakos

The Beach South East Florida
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 1:48 am    

Send me a video of the problem to :
pittsburghphil@hotmail.com

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 4:59 am    

I'm in Austin and not only can fix your problem, I can go through it and get it set up so that it plays as good as or better than factory.

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 1:27 pm    

Johnny Bondz is in Wildwood, FL. Quite a drive but great folks.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Johnny Baker

Southport, Fla
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 1:28 pm    

I want to express my gratitude to all those that attempted to help me find someone to repair my guitar. For some strange reason, today, I bought a can of Rem Oil, for firearms and lightly sprayed all moving parts underneath the guitar's carriage. After setting for a bit, I finished assembling it and tried all pedals and levers. BINGO, #3 is no longer popping and everything is operating very, very smoothly now. So, I have to assume it needed a little bit of lubricant and that quite possibly, that Hurricane Michael ride, that it took may have been the issue, all along. I just don't know. I now know where there are repair shops, albeit not very close to me but, close enough that I could take a short weekend trip to drop it off and then another to go pick it up when done.
Thanks again guys, I really do appreciate it.

Johnny.

PS: Let me know if your ever in the Panama City, Fl area, I'd like to meet you and at least have a cup of coffee or something with you. Take care and please be safe.