The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Grateful Dead - Slipknot!
Sam Norris

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 5:30 pm    

https://youtu.be/tPHUvZ3EFsE

This is a short video, but it sure took me long enough to get it (almost) clean.

Adam Payne

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 5:54 pm    

A tough one on any instrument, well done sir! Sounded great... No Franklins Tower? Cool Wink

Sam Norris

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 6:14 pm    

I'm saving it for the live sessions when there is ample time to jam!

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 10:40 pm    

Nicely done!

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 11:28 pm    

Nice. For various reasons I took a lot of the last year and actually studied some of the Jerry lines. On six string I’m talking. I learned how to play guitar out of a Grateful Dead song book so they always have a place close to my heart. And learning all of the diminished lines in slipknot was fun on guitar. Probably a fun exercise to do on steel as well. Maybe I’ll dive into it as well! Well done sir!

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 11:30 pm    

I will also say that that is a very interesting way to hold the bar in your left hand. Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone hold it quite that way! It sounds like you are going direct into your computer or something yes?

I could be wrong it just sounds like that. What do you normally play through? Why you are playing live?

Sam Norris

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 5:47 am    

Hey Josh,
Agreed, this one is super fun on 6 string and it will have a permanent place in my practice regimen. For the bar, that's just the way I figured it out, it's comfortable and makes it easy to lift it. Maybe I held it differently before I started playing Dobro, I can't remember. Also, I like to choke up on it and use my thumb to mute strings.

For this one I recorded direct out of a Revelation preamp, and I used an impulse response in the DAW with a little reverb. I record direct for the most part these days since I live in an apartment and don't want to bother people late at night. This one was just mixed pretty dry to maintain definition for the notes. What do you mean with the last question?

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 9:18 am    

Very fine picking, sounds great. I was looking up Dead PSG covers a few days ago because i saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoK_6QOVKg

can I ask what tuning you're using?

Thanks.

Also, Travis Toy had a video about a somewhat similar bar grip, how he can reasonably control the bar using index finger only (but I think you have to subscribe to his lessons to hear the reasoning behind it).

Last edited by Gene Tani on 13 May 2021 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam Payne

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 10:07 am    

Sam Norris wrote:
I'm saving it for the live sessions when there is ample time to jam!

Love the sound of that idea. Perhaps we can hear it then 😎

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 10:14 am    

Ha! yea sorry... auto correct I guess... was supposed to say "WHAT" are you playing live.

Smile

Was just wondering if you would record it through a tube amp as some point.

Anyways... all good and yea if the grip works for you it works for you! I pick up the bar some on pedal steel but obviously not remotely as often as on dobro. Do you use an actual bullet on DOBRO?

That would just destroy my hand. Smile

Anyways... this is at extreme least a good exercise on diminished lines.. maybe i'll take a run at it some time... cool idea!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 12:42 pm    

cool stuff. I worked this one out a couple years ago with my GD tribute Ton Of Hay, a challenge for sure! I've had a lot of fun working the steel into songs that didn't originally feature it. we worked up Unbroken Chain for our last gig (over a year ago) which worked out great using both necks of a D-10.

I believe our own Pete Burak (Steely Pete) also has some instructional guitar videos on youtube, including Slipknot. I've got one of the only renditions of Sage & Spirit on youtube as well.

and I've always used a bullet bar for dobro... I played steel first so it never felt weird. I also play 8-string dobro so the bullet is better both in length and I use the round nose for fretting 2 strings against open strings.

I also use my barring thumb to mute strings and always have!

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 3:05 pm    

Awesome Sam. Very clean and melodic. Keep em' comin'!

Sam Norris

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 6:32 pm    

Answering a few questions:

Gene, this is is a universal that keeps the low D (string 9) from E9. I also have a half step lower on the B (string 5 on E9) that is used in this video. At this point my tuning is approaching similarity to Reece Anderson's E9 universal, but it's my own thing overall, out of necessity due to a shortage of pedals and bellcranks.

Josh, live I have been using either my Revelation with a Mosvalve 962 for bigger gigs or a Boss GX-700 going direct for smaller ones. The Boss actually sounds pretty good, but it's difficult to adjust and can be improved. Can't drive a speaker either, but it's sure lighter than my main rig. I'm going to try out a SWR Strawberry Blonde for a show this weekend, and the new Quilter Superblock is catching my eye as well. I don't know if I'll record this one again, but the only usable tube amp I have right now is an old Champ that needs preamp tubes, so I'll make do with what I have that's convenient. And yes, I use a bullet bar for Dobro, just because that's what I had and didn't feel like paying for a contoured bar. I'm not sure if I can get one long enough for my liking anyway.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 8:36 pm    

Thanks for coped insight, i was thinking of something like this to keep the e9 grips.

I had a Strawberry bass amp for ... 1 day, it was great until i had to haul it up and down 2 flights of stairs. Now i have a 15" SWR bass cab (Lil bertha), sounds monstrously good for steel. The piezo horn/crossover is annoying, disfunctional but makes nosie, I think that's pretty common in these cabs.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 7:08 am    

Love Slipknot! Nice job!
I have never tried it on Steel.
I saw another Steel player named Ryan Barwin has a vid on Facebook playing Slipknot on a D10 C6th neck:
https://www.facebook.com/ryanbarwin/videos/10157301301111458/

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 5:51 am    

I really need to learn this. 🙄 Too many times I’ve had to play “air guitar” on the bandstand. 😂 Seems to be a favorite among bands and musicians around here in Grateful Dead Land. (Marin)