The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thinking of selling my old Kline D10 on order MSA 10-6
Tomas Enguidanos

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 2:44 pm    

I see a lot of players with multiple guitars. I have owned a Kline D10 since the early 1980s. In fact, it is the only pedal steel I have ever owned. bUT as a utility player who also plays resonator guitar, fiddle, and mandolin at gigs, it is very attractive to have the reso and steel covered by one instrument.

Wondering if I should hang on to the Kline, or is there a market for this guitar?

Wondering which pickups to get for the MSA 10-6? I like old country? I also wonder how different I'll sound on the MSA?

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 3:31 pm     Thinking of selling my old Kline and ordering an MSA

I played a Kline U-12 for close to 20 years and sold it. Biggest mistake I ever made. My advice is keep the Kline. MSA's are fine guitars, but heavy. I know a local guy that has a beautiful Williams wood grain U-12 if you would be interested. If you decide to sell the Kline, I may have a buyer for it. He sold his black mica Kline and is having seller's remorse.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 4:09 pm     Sell it/ Keep it

Since you only have this one D-10 , I would keep it so you can continue to play C6 which you won’t be able to do with the 10-6, however you will be greatly impressed with MSA mechanically and sonically! I would suggest starting with a Bill Lawrence 705 reissue pickup, it really works with the Legend XL guitars.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 4:23 pm    

If you would consider a Universal tuning E9/B6, perhaps MSA would build a U12/6? That would be my ideal situation.

Yes, it would be a little bit heavier and bulkier than a 10/6, but that way you would have both the steel tunings + your resonator sim neck.

There are a lot of Kline lovers here. I expect the market would depend on the sale value you might place on it.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 4:32 pm     Kline

I know they’re making a 12/6 for someone, can’t see why they wouldn’t make it universal because they also make them...bet they would!

Tomas Enguidanos

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 4:56 pm    

Code:
yeah, I think you are right, especially if I get in a Western Swing band the C6 would be missed

Tomas Enguidanos

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 6:39 pm    

Interesting idea getting a 12/6. Is it a difficult transition from a 10 to a 12 string?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 6:55 pm    

There's an adjustment period for sure, but it's not that steep in my experience. I went from D10 to Universals without any problems....and back, but that's another story... Biggest change is a couple different string placements and string grips.

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 2:46 pm     10-6

I’ve got a 10-6 on order. Was told last August it would be this August but haven’t heard anything. You know anything ?

Play nice.

They is none else.

Aaron Brownwood

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2023 4:13 pm    

Tab did you get your guitar? I'm curious how people like them. I'm really interested but the price and wait time is pretty rough.

I also wonder how the battery maintenance is for the voltage regulator and if you have to replace with fresh batteries to keep the dobro tone going? I've never seen a guitar equipped with so much electronics under the hood. Makes me weary that something could malfunction.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2023 5:21 am    

I play an MSA E9th/B6th Universal and use a Tom Bradshaw Resonator with a Keely compressor. It gets pretty close in a band setting.
I really like the new Pedal steels but I wouldn't sell the Kline due to the wait time at MSA. A dedicated 6 string neck is an expensive upgrade.
After playing a friends new Mullen I was so impressed with the action I sold my Push Pull and Carter.
At that time Mullen was not making S-12s so I went with an MSA and have settled on the XR-16 pick up.
A new PSG set up at the factory is a wonderful thing and I am Very happy with my MSAs.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2023 2:59 pm    

If you play a real resonator guitar I don't think you will be happy with a pedal steel version. It's not even close...at all. The Kline is a gem. Don't let it get away. You will not save any weight or hassles either. You will have one less case to carry but that will be off set by deep feelings of regret and then disappointment when you hear the sounds coming from your new rig and remember your old one.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2023 11:35 am    

I agree with Bob keep the Kline and the electronic Dobro effects do not sound like a real DoBro in an acoustic or studio setting.
Bearing in mind that an MSA 10-6 has a $8-$9,000 price tag. At live electric stage volume they sound passable to me.
Also getting an acoustic resonator guitar up to some live stage volumes can be difficult.
Different amps respond differently to effects as most tube amps work better with guitar effects.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2023 12:30 pm    

Do you realize this post is over two years old?