The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing with a new band and feeling like a new player
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 10 May 2021 6:52 am    

Hey all,

I recently started playing with a new band (mostly classic country, some swing and blues). It's big, by my standards: rhythm guitar, upright bass, drums, electric guitar, piano/accordion, and me.

I was feeling pretty good about my playing when I was stuck at home this past year, but now that I'm back in this live situation, I'm feeling much less confident. My fills are repetitive, my solos are boring at best, and I find myself reverting to strategies I used when I first started playing ten years ago.

I think most musicians and artists go through a cycle of feeling great and feeling terrible about their output. If anyone has any favorite rut-busters or similar experiences to share, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:25 am    

Most of us haven’t played with a live band for over a year. I fully intend to fall back on my own cliches and contrivance until things start to click with the band. The growth you have experienced during personal practice time will work its way into your new situation eventually. Pick one song a week to start with, and vow to stretch out on it.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:39 am    

oh.... to play with a band again... in front of people...
what a wonderful thought Neutral

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 8:47 am    

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:
oh.... to play with a band again... in front of people...
what a onderful thought Neutral

That's great like Eric would love to play with a band again it's been 5 year's my chops are getting rusty
P.w

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 11:00 am    

Andy, I know what you mean! I'm back in business too, and it feels strange after such a long layoff from playing live gigs. Feeling a little out of sync. Smile As far as practice routines and rut-busting, I practice to tracks a lot, especially BIAB tracks. I also try to play solos that I hear other instruments playing... guitars, horns, keys, etc. Even if I never play those riffs in a band, it helps me to learn new positions on the pedal steel, new sounds and new ways to get those sounds.

The good news is... the outdoor gigs are back! I have 50 on my calendar now. This one was yesterday at the Hardwick (Mass) Winery, pickin' on the porch with Rosie Porter. A great day. Things are looking up.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 1:15 pm    

Andrew that is very normal, When the surroundings and situation put a humans mind and body into a stress situation, The mind and body goes back to its previous training and practice to survive the situation.

That is where all the perfect practice takes over and pays big dividends.

Glad you got to go back playing venues, Getting the stage rust dusted off.
We are looking at June 15th to open some local venues I played before Covid 19 hit.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 11 May 2021 3:24 pm    

Thanks, everyone. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Sometimes it feels that way!

Also a good reminder to remember how much I like playing with a band and how fortunate I am to have that.

BIAB is a great idea. I should bite the bullet and just buy that. I think one of main issues is that I'm too addicted to the A pedal. I'm going to try reworking my approach by using a different "home" position to try and stop that.

I read some good advice from Fred the other day about keeping solos on the same string group as well, and I tend to jump around (which can be neat but risky if I'm inaccurate).

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 May 2021 1:12 am    

When Andrew announced "feeling like a new player" I thought he meant it in the sense of "I feel like a new man" (which is only bad if your wife says it).

Then I realised he meant "like a novice". I have survived re-entry by keeping it simple and playing less, so this pandemic has literally taught me a lesson.