The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal use between E9 & C6 question
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 8:01 pm    

I own a D10, but only play the E9th. I play around C6 on a few things but don't understand it at all (but I will someday).

When I do things on C6, I find it awkward regarding the left foot. I have to retract my left foot right lever. Is this normal? Also, at pedal 8 I'm often bumping into my other foot or volume pedal. Man it just feels unnatural.

Pedals A,B&C are for E9, and 4-8 for C6th (on my guitar).

Is there any reason not to assign pedals 1 through 5 to the C6 as they normally are on pedals 4 through 8? Would it make the pedals too stiff or hard to pull?

I assume it's never done this way but I'm curios as to why-again I need to lift up the left foot right lever to get my leg over there and I know real players switch easily but I don't know how they do it-thanks.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 9:41 pm    

It's completely normal to move you left leg to the other side of the left leg knee levers when playing C6th.
Alternatively you could fold up the LKR lever to get it out of the way.

A lot of playing pedal steel guitar feels unnatural until you've done it a lot. Don't do radical things to your steel when just starting out.

When I play pedal 8 it's either with the left side of my left foot, or the right side of my right foot (which means taking the right foot off the volume pedal). I never strike pedal 8 straight on. With practice you'll get comfortable with the spacing of the pedal and the volume pedal.

If you are suggesting making pedals 1-3 work both necks, you will probably find the pedal action is far too heavy. The more raises and lowers you put on any one pedal, the heavier it gets, and the harder it is to get everything to work correctly.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 1:57 am    

Paul is 100% correct. I used to have the same problem with hitting pedal 8 without hitting my right foot and volume pedal. Through the years, I have moved my volume pedal to the right to where the right side of the pedal almost lines up with my right end plate. That gives more room between it and pedal 8. I was never any good using my right foot on pedal 8 and getting it back on the volume pedal cleanly. I ended up having pedal 8 changes on pedal 4. Many,many players have done that. I used to play "Hold It", having to move quickly between p8 and p5. That is where I used to have the most difficulty in hitting p8 cleanly. Moving p8 to the 4th pedal cured that problem. Since 1999, I have had p8 on a knee lever in my LKL center cluster. Love it there and have no inclination to ever move it back to the floor.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 5:16 am     Re: Pedal use between E9 & C6 question

Jon Voth wrote:

Is there any reason not to assign pedals 1 through 5 to the C6 as they normally are on pedals 4 through 8? Would it make the pedals too stiff or hard to pull?

That's an interesting question. Is there a mechanical reason for the placement of the pedals or is it just a convention?

Early pedal steels like the Harlin Multikord had pedals clustered at the changer end of the guitar.

A later, but still early, Fender moved the pedals more to the middle of the guitar. I've seen a few Sho-Buds that also had their pedals placed more in the middle.

Granted, these are single-necks. But if you're building a double-neck, is there an ergonomic or physical reason for moving your E9 pedals all the way down to the keyhead end?

OK, it might get a little crowded under the 12th or 15th fret if you've got 4 KLs over there. But if I'm not mistaken, early D-10s came with the current 1-8 pedal configuration despite only having RKR.

So what the hey?