The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Player Looking for Options and Advice
Richard Jaroski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 7:20 am    

Hello everybody! I have been creeping around the forum for a couple of years and have finally decided to commit to buying a PSG. Been playing guitar for 18 years, but my knowledge of music theory is limited. Seems like it will be a bit of an undertaking. I've looked into a lot of the older posts about newbies and first steels, and I pretty well had my sights set on a Zum, but Doug told me he isn't even adding anybody to the waiting list until the end of the year. I should have gotten on the waiting list a year ago when I was considering it! I'd like to start playing before 2022, so I've been looking into other options. I am currently considering a new GFI S-10 SM 3x4 (on the GFI website for $1675). I know a lot of people suggest for that price to go ahead and get a used pro model, but I don't really want anything that I have to work on or change the copedent on. A factory setup just seems easier to start learning the basics of both the musical theory and the mechanics of the instrument.

What are everyone's thoughts? Here are a few key points to my current situation:

-I am willing to spend up to $1800.
-I am open to buying used if somebody could point me in the direction of one for sale (I'm so unclear about brands and some of the lingo that digging through the classifieds is a little daunting for me). I would like it to be the standard S10 E9 3x4, though.
-IF is stick with it, I will likely upgrade to a pro model at some point, though I imagine this would be a couple of years down the road. I hobby jump a lot, hence the big IF.
-I live in a pretty rural area, so the couple people I have ever even seen in the area who play PSG work on their own instruments.

Any help would be appreciated, and I hope I'm not posting a dead horse for everyone to beat on. I tried to dig through the older posts as much as possible.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 7:39 am    

I would definitely say buy used - if you eventually sell it, there's a good chance you'd get back what you paid for it - obviously not the case with a new instrument.

Richard Jaroski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 7:48 am    

That's my natural inclination, but I'm so lost as to what is a good deal and what isn't that by the time I am able to do any research into the brand and model of a posted guitar, somebody has already snatched it up! That's why a factory setup is appealing. Any ideas on resale value of a GFI student model? BUT, if my basement guitar collection is any indication, I probably will not end up selling it anyway and would just buy another. Haha.

Terry Pendlay

Effingham Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 9:58 am    

Look up Johnnie KIng he usually has a group of good used steels

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 4:49 pm    

I saw a Stage One on Kijiji (Canada’s version of Craigslist) in London Ontario for $1400 CAD, about $1150 USD. Might be worth checking out. Looks to be mint.

Richard Jaroski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 3:08 pm    

Thanks for the tip, Jamie! It's brand new in the box for barely more than one from Doug. The guy is unwilling to ship, though, and prefers a local deal. Some Ontario native is about to get lucky!

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 5:42 pm    

Hi Richard, where in Illinois are you located.
We may be close. I'm 10 miles south of Marshall.
Carl "Lucky" Kilmer

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:15 pm    

"As New Condition" would be a more accurate description of the guitar advertised in Canada.

That guitar is several years old, possibly as old as 2012. Not that it matters, it is the same as the current formica finish guitar other than the finish of the underside of the cabinet.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:18 pm    

Welcome to the world of Steel Guitar.

With you already being a guitar player, I would suggest you get a copy of Mel Bays Chord chart for E9th tuning steel guitar. b0b sells them here on the forum. It is listed under the instruction section on about page 4 or 5. The best $7.00 you can spend. It will allow you to take your guitar knowledge and transpose it to the Steel Guitar Fret board.
The chart shows all Major, Minor, 7th, Augmented, and Diminish chords, And use of pedals and levers to obtain the chords.

I went to a 12 String Universal about 3 years ago. I am putting my MSA S10, 4 pedals 4 knee levers, Set up DAY system, Born in July 9,1974 on the market, If you are interested.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 7:29 pm    

I bought a used D10 Fessenden 8 years ago. I have no complaints about the guitar. I paid $2200.

That is only a little higher than your top dollar number. They are out there. I found this one on Craigslist.

IMO buying a starter or any kind of limited instrument is a bad idea. Buy something that someone else will want. A good guitar doesn't lose much if any value.

I recommend getting a D10. I say that because no one knows for sure what he will end up playing or wanting to play.

I am 71 and have been buying instruments since I was 15. An important lesson I have learned is to avoid spending money twice or more.

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 8:04 pm    

Richard,
My advice to you is find someone that knows a good deal on steel guitars, that you trust, that is on the forum often and could keep an eye out for that deal for you. It may be the best way for you to know of a good deal on the forum and be able to react quickly.

For example, the Justice S-10 that was for sale today at 1500.00 is a screaming deal imo.

I'm also one that didn't buy a D-10, as I knew I had little interest in swing/jazz and I knew the sounds that I wanted to make with a steel guitar were made with E9th.

Of course, everyone has an opinion, ymmv.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 8:38 pm    

A new Justice S-10 Jr with 3+4 is $1595. They are well made and well designed instruments. Call Ron and talk it over. It’s the best deal for a quality guitar.
http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/S10%20Jr.html
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Richard Jaroski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 5:19 am    

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I do think at some point I will be interested in Western swing, as I like a lot of those 40s and 50s bands. A D10 would be the best option, but I do really want to see if I stick with it before I dive that deep.

Also, is there a way to tag certain people to reply to in a discussion thread? Sorry, new to the forum.

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 5:29 am    

Richard Jaroski wrote:

Also, is there a way to tag certain people to reply to in a discussion thread? Sorry, new to the forum.

Like that? Use the quote button at the upper right corner of the post.

Richard Jaroski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 5:30 am    

Edward Dixon wrote:
Richard Jaroski wrote:

Like that? Use the quote button at the upper right corner of the post.

Yep! Thanks.

Richard Jaroski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 5:35 am    

K Maul wrote:
A new Justice S-10 Jr with 3+4 is $1595. They are well made and well designed instruments. Call Ron and talk it over. It’s the best deal for a quality guitar.
http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/S10%20Jr.html

I am still looking around the classifieds for a while, but if I end up going new, I am either looking at the GFI or the Justice.

Richard Jaroski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 5:57 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
Welcome to the world of Steel Guitar.

With you already being a guitar player, I would suggest you get a copy of Mel Bays Chord chart for E9th tuning steel guitar. b0b sells them here on the forum. It is listed under the instruction section on about page 4 or 5. The best $7.00 you can spend. It will allow you to take your guitar knowledge and transpose it to the Steel Guitar Fret board.
The chart shows all Major, Minor, 7th, Augmented, and Diminish chords, And use of pedals and levers to obtain the chords.

I went to a 12 String Universal about 3 years ago. I am putting my MSA S10, 4 pedals 4 knee levers, Set up DAY system, Born in July 9,1974 on the market, If you are interested.

Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Thanks Bobby! PM sent.

Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 5:24 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=369713

Richard Jaroski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 5:29 am    

Ah. I saw that one. It sold a couple days ago.