The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Elevating a pedalboard. 1/24/22. Solution Found!
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 8:54 am    

Anyone have any pictures of ways they've elevated their pedalboards? Especially if it's partially supported by steel, amp or pedal.

I was thinking that if I could get 2 points of contact with the side of my steel (or maybe amp or seat) a single additional leg would be enough to elevate my pedalboard to be in easy reach of my right hand.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Karl Paulsen on 25 Jan 2022 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 9:29 am    

I specifically use a board with a hard case so that I can use the case as a stand. I've tried some radical stuff and found it unwieldy or halfassed and not gigworthy. This method is pretty bulletproof.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 10:28 am    

Jon Light wrote:
I specifically use a board with a hard case so that I can use the case as a stand. I've tried some radical stuff and found it unwieldy or halfassed and not gigworthy. This method is pretty bulletproof.

That's perfect. I built my pedalboard specifically to fit inside a hard case that I found at Goodwill. It's not as tough as the road-case you've got ( mine was probably a Harbor Freight case originally) but I bet it would work just fine.

Thanks!

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 11:06 am     Pedal Board

Karl,
I don't have my pedal board configured the way you're asking about but I did build a homemade board that works okay...here are a couple of pic's:

David Hodan

Denton, Texas; USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 1:01 pm     Studio Seat

I use a re-purposed GFI pac-seat that contains a complete recording setup.
Both the PV6-BT and the Boss GT-1000 core can serve as audio interfaces to the laptop.
In the music room I use a large external monitor for charts and the DAW interface.
There's a small touch-pad attached to the guitar leg to control things when it's folded up.
I can convert the guitar audio to midi and be any instrument I want with pretty darn good poly-phonic tracking.
I can record dry, wet, and midi at the same time.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 1:54 pm    

I bought a unit from Joe Naylor that resembled a steel seat but the top came off to expose a flat surface for mounting stomp boxes.
You could leave the stomp boxes in place, replace the cover and they were good until the next time you needed them.
The legs folded up and everything. Very Happy
Erv

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 7:00 am    

I put my FX board in a rack box turned on end with wheels on the bottom (power supplies inside). Easy to reach, everything is already connected, sets up fast. The volume & wah pedals live in the bottom with cables and there’s room for a sandwich or two. All I have to do is plug in one AC cord, one 1/4” to the amp, one to the steel, set the vol/wah pedals on the floor and I’m set.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 12:41 pm    

Pedaltrain Classic

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTCLJTC--pedaltrain-classic-jr-tc-18-inch-by-12.5-inch-pedalboard-with-tour-case

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:45 am    

Thanks for all the advice and pics folks. There are some pretty sweet setups here.

Tried balancing it on my roadcase but unfortunately it has shoulder strap hooks on the side (very usefull) but no ball corners so it's not a stable platform.

Got me thinking about adding ball corners now. Even if it isn't perfect as a stand, it would certainly help reinforce the cheap plastic rounded corners it has now.

That said, at rehearsal last night I was reminded that the board is rather compact and sits very well on a regular restaurant style chair. Perhaps I'm creating a need I really don't have?

Michael Stover

Kansas City
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 11:26 am    

I keep things light (Sarno Black Box + 3-4 pedals max) and use a simple Manhasset music stand.

The cheap Rondo pedal cases work great & last awhile when they aren't on the floor!

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 1:16 pm    

I use a 4 space rack, but it does have to be raised up so I can push buttons and turn knobs-- in that sense it's got the same issues as a pedalboard. For a long time I carried a couple of milk crates around to stack up.

Then I "liberated" the Mrs' unused piano stool, put a briefcase-that-impersonates-a-road-case on it, and the rack on that. Just the right height!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 7:21 pm    

Dave, also use those folding keyboard bench for my stuff. I do have a couple floor racks built by Justice that are taller, and work alongside the steel.

Donn Lewis

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 3:19 pm     Re: Elevating a pedalboard with help from seat/amp/steel

Karl Paulsen wrote:
Anyone have any pictures of ways they've elevated their pedalboards? Especially if it's partially supported by steel, amp or pedal.

I was thinking that if I could get 2 points of contact with the side of my steel (or maybe amp or seat) a single additional leg would be enough to elevate my pedalboard to be in easy reach of my right hand.

I bought a stand from Gator GFW-UTL-MEDIATRAY1 which fits my Pedalboard Classic just perfect.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 3:33 pm    

This is all I need ... my Sarno Earth Drive (Toggle switch) attaches to the leg of my guitar, along with the midi controller for the TC Electronics G Major unit mounted in my Telonics TCA500 amp -- the controller also accesses the Dobro simulator in the amp. Everything is right there at my fingertips! I can even tweak the parameters of each EFX setting with the midi controller on the fly to suit the room. (Designed by Mark Dunn) ...

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 7:55 pm    

Finally figured something out for elevating my pedal board. Luckily I worked this out after realizing what I really wanted was for the pedals to be about the same height as my steel.

Starting with a keyboard stand from Goodwill. I cutoff the top T sections and reattach them at the height of my steel and width of my pedalboard.

The screws sticking up on the right side serve as pegs. I drilled two matching holes in the bottom of the pedalboard so it sits like this and can't fall off. Legs are wider than top in both directions and it's super stable.

Since these pictures were taken, I've added a rubber leg cap/bumper on the end of each top arm to better support the pedal board and so it won't scratch the mica on my steel. Still undecided whether to set it on the right side or in front like this.

Doesn't quite fold flat anymore, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Bringing it to rehearsal tomorrow.

$5 Stand, maybe $5 in hardware (bolts, locking nuts, washers and 2 toggle bolts), and another 2 bucks or so for the leg caps for a total of about $12 all in! Not bad and certainly in keeping with the budget pedalboard build.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 4:32 pm    

I used an amp stand and mounted two pedal rails using velcro so they can easily be removed and packed for travel.

Initially, I used the one spot pedal power chain, but there was constant interference for some reason. I went back to using the power supply for each pedal and the problem was solved.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2022 8:37 am    

Another quick setup fix is one of those folding luggage stands that you find in motels. Works well for a PA or effects stand.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 6:26 am    

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 7:21 am    

Nice pedalboard eye candy.
I don't see any Goodrich Baby Bloomers.
I've grown fond of mine.
To describe it, I woulds say that it "widens the sound and adds dimension".
Last in the chain ($200).
https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/product/bloomer-preamp-pedal/

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 9:16 am    

I have my NV400 made into a head unit and sit my pedal board on top of it. It sits to my right on the floor. My guitar plugs into the loop box (or sometimes the Source Audio EQ, then loop box, as it is in this pic) that switches the effects in and out of my signal chain. It is prewired with cables to plug into my guitar, plug into my volume pedal, the Zoom Effect box (for reverb & delay) plug into my front panel effects loop on the NV400. There are LED strips on the edges of the board that I can switch on so I can see the amp controls.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 26 Apr 2022 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2022 1:21 am    

👀

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 4:59 am    

Nice to see the additional boards.

Here's what I've settled on for playing arrangement.

Height is perfect, and right next to my right hand. When I started this topic, I didn't realize how much I'd value the specific location, but for switching within a song, this setup is gold.