The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fishman Aura Spetrum
David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 5:42 pm    

Hi. I was looking to get a used Aura Spectrum pedal for my resonator. I think I can get it for $150. But there`s no cable,box or anything. Just the pedal. I know the JD one is the one to get, but here in Canada it`s hard to get and I`d probably have to mortgage my house. Can I still download Images if I buy used? I did a few searches and can`t find any info. From what I understand there are some in the pedal and some you could download. Thank`s in advance for any info. Dave

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 7:05 pm    

You can download images, but there aren't any of the JD Aura-type to download. It comes with 4 reso images. People have said that they aren't as good as the JD Aura ones, but some folks are quite happy with having everything that pedal provides in one box and say that the images are good enough. And your price is quite good.

I have a JD Aura on my big pedalboard and probably will get an Aura Spectrum for a grab'n'go acoustic-to-a-PA minimalist gig...it has all the functions of a good DI that the JD Aura does not have, plus the tuner...

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 9:14 pm    

I think the Aura Spectrum is a good one-piece unit. I have the JD pedal also but use the Aura a lot. There are new reso images that can be loaded into the “user images” bank but I usually use the ones already provided mixed about 50/50. That minimizes feedback at higher volumes and still sounds much better than the pickup alone.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 9:24 pm    

Hmmm- I couldn’t find where new reso images are- I looked in the image library…any hints?

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 1:43 am    

Another Question, do I need a special wire cable or just a plain USB cable for computers, laptop type. Thank-you all for the info and replys. Dave

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 5:47 am    

You need a camera type usb cable like this

I recall when I downloaded software for the image gallery a few years ago there were some new Scheerhorn images so I loaded them into my Spectrum. I used a long-gone laptop and don’t remember details.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 12:29 pm    

I was checking out the Aura III Gallery today - hadn't looked at any of the versions in quite some time.

It appears that they have deleted the Beard Mike Auldridge images which at one point were referred to as "Finnish Birch," the wood laminate used for that model. As I recall these were recorded with the player being the late Stacy Phillips.

Kevin mentioned Scheerhorn images. The original Scheerhorn images were recorded many years ago and weren't very good. Maybe these are better?

They must be different because someone at Fishman spelled the name as "Steerhorn"...no doubt Tim Scheerhorn would be thrilled if he read that. Shocked

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 5:21 pm    

I`m just no good at electronics. I think I can find 4 on the fishman website with the title Scheerhorn, but I don`t see no Beard ones. I know in the end it`s just $150. but still , I will have to experiment and try to figure it out. Thanks for the reply's. Dave

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 1:55 pm    

I think the 4 that are there for download are the ones that already are on every Aura Spectrum in the "Bluegrass" category, images 16-20 (I think)....they aren't additional ones.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 1:07 pm    

Ah ok thanks for the info

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 2:00 pm     I was wrong!!

The ones in the image gallery are NOT the ones built into the Aura Spectrum...see screenshots from the Spectrum User Manual and the image gallery ...so they might be worth downloading...and I just bought one, on eBay...

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 6:54 pm    

Ok thanks for the heads up. I`m still waiting on a reply from the seller. Maybe to good to be true. Thanks, Dave

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 6:42 pm    

I got mine. Big differences in the images...for me, the DPA 4011 image from the Aura Gallery, downloaded to my Aura, was the "best"...meaning it sounded, to me, the most natural. Image 15 from the stock images (bluegrass setting, Neumann M147) was pretty good also, but didn't quite make it, compared to the Library download image.
Now, I was playing through a Beard road-o-phonic (with Fishman pickup), so I assume it would be different with a full-size reso. I had the blend up about ¾, because the image just (unsurprisingly) sounded better than the pickup straight from the Roadie...

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 2:01 am    

Hey Steve. Do you have a JD Aura? just curious to compare. I know the JD images are not transferable to the spectrum and are some of the best. Thanks for your reply. Dave

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 9:30 am    

Yes....my big gig rig has a JD Aura on it, with a bunch of other pedals. I just got the Spectrum to use as a standalone "grab 'n go" rig for practice and small gigs....

I haven't had time to compare them yet. Remember, though, that I'm using them with a Beard Road-o-phonic now, so I'm not sure it is a good test. It sure sounds better with both the JD and the Spectrum!

As some have said in other threads here, some prefer the JD Aura images, while others are fine with the Spectrum. On the JD the images seem actually to differ mostly by treble content, increasing as the number increases. JD says he goes further up the scale when he needs to cut through...on the Spectrum (with only a short time to test so far) the images all seem just to be different in a way I can't articulate.

The one I picked seemed to have the "fullest" sound, not thin, whatever that means (just less bass?) while also having the best representation of the trademark dobro nasal tone, especially noticeable when sliding.

And I was not going for copying my acoustic tone, with the Roadie...so that wasn't a test that the rest of you might be happy with

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 11 May 2021 10:59 am    

Thanks for your reply Steve. I really appreciate all reply s.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2021 3:05 pm    

OK...been playing around with the Spectrum...there is a big range in realism in the images...but the one I like the best (a user image) seems also to generate a ringing in the sound whenever a double stop is played...so I backed off to a built-in image that sacrificed a bit of realism but didn't sound electronic...

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 1:47 am    

I haven`t had a chance to play with the resonator yet. I was able to download all the images from Fishman so I`m hoping at least one is decent. I did play Mandolin and found a few that would work. And I did see the same model in the pedal as my Martin acoustic but I haven`t tried that one either. The true test will be live tho. Steve do you have the EQ set on the pick up or the Image? Don`t know what is the best way.I think I read you can have either or. Thanks for all the reply's. Dave

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2021 8:45 am    

I ended up setting it for both image and pickup, not just pickup. YMMV. I felt that the tone was pretty similar on both pickup and image and that I'd likely want to use it to EQ the room or the particular instrument, and apply it evenly. I play through the blended signal mostly but switch to just pickup (no image) when using some effects pedals that don't play well with the processed image signal.
So you need to play with it and see where it works - just pickup or both - for you.

David LeBlanc

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2021 10:49 am    

Thanks Steve. Will do. That`s what I figured that a combination of both might be best.