The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Solution for speeding drummer!
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 6:25 pm    

A couple of these may do the trick:

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 7:43 pm    

Quote:
So I guess it's settled. It's all the drummer's fault.

I did not say that. Quite to the contrary, time keeping is everybody's responsibility. But some drummers make that hard. Also some bass players, guitar players, keyboard players, even steel players - you get the drift.

Quote:
I played with that guy. I didn’t think he was “otherwise excellent” though.

This guy really was a great swing/bebop drummer. When we'd launch into a fast swing or bebop tune (yes, we did some in this blues band), he was truly great. He could play a mean shuffle if he wanted to, but I think he just got bored after a while. I think that is common among good drummers.

I think it's important to let band members stretch out and play to their strengths and interests at least part of the time, even if it's a bit tangential to the main bag, and especially if they can play. For example, a blues or country band can play a cool, fast swing or even bebop tune that gives everybody, including the rhythm section, a chance to stretch out and not really be straying from the genre. That blues band almost always included a few barn-burning rockabilly tunes to keep me happy. There was never any question about this being a blues band, but one lumpty lump blues after another can drag on.

But IMO, someone has to be the "enforcer" to keep everybody in the right bag. That's where a strong band leader is critical.

Oh, did I forget?. Um - yeah, it really helps if there's enough money in the gig to motivate people to exert some self control. Ahem. Muttering

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 8:28 am    

I haven't red this thread but I saw a picture on FB that is quite funny.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 1:08 pm    

Our Drummer does a great job. He counts off and we all come in. Stays in perfect timing. Never a issue. Not bad for 72 years old!!!!

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 9:04 pm    

Have you tried a rehearsal without the bass player and just the drummer to confirm it is indeed the drummer? Or vice versa, a rehearsal with just the bass player to confirm if it is the drummer?

I have found some drummers are easily influenced by a bass player that likes to speed things up. With a bass player that doesn't speed things up, the night is fine.

The bass player and the drummer are supposed to lock together like glue and at times, the drummer will follow trying to do so and hence the "speeding drummer".

I think the best you can do is try and confirm which has the speeding problem and then address it.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 9:13 pm    

I worked for years as a bass player with a drummer I considered rock solid. I was later informed that playing with anyone but me (or my brother, also a bass player), he raced like Usain Bolt.

There may be some symbiosis involved.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 12:19 pm    

My biggest gripe is drummers that play over your pickup notes and solos so much so that you can't be heard. I've had two drummers in a row now that were great when they were unfamiliar with the song. As familiarity gained, they started to mock my solos and intros with the drums. It's maddening!

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 9 May 2021 2:59 pm    

I used to do a road gig with a drummer that over-filled big time. Every now & then we'd be at a sound check and someone on the local crew would ask me for the drummer's name, and I would say, "Phil"...
Which, of course, wasn't his name.

When they called him that, he knew he'd been busted by me...again.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 9:58 am    

Keith;

At the gig record some of the tunes. Have the drummer count the songs off. Then get a metronome and sit down and listen to them together.

(You'll find that the steel doesn't have to even be playing for the tempo to go up. Might have to count some tunes off really slow)...

Best of luck resolving your problem.

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 3:27 pm    

I’ve worked with acts that had the BPM on a master set list, and started each tune with a metronome aided count.

At least you started every tune at the correct tempo. If someone consistently jumped the tempo, it was dealt with.