The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Going to Austalia next January; any steelers playing then?
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 9:31 pm    

Next January I am realizing my bucket list trip & going to Australia (want to be there during their summer, as our summer & winter are opposite theirs)

I am going to rent a camper, as I will NOT camp out in AU since everything that crawls,slithers or swims there will kill you). I have a female pen pal there that I have never met, but she has graciously offered to be my tour guide. I plan on hitting all the major cities, Including Alice Springs & Darwin, and I know this is kinda far in advance, but I would love it if any of you Australian steel players would let me know if you will have any gigs next January, and I will try to be in your area to catch your gig as I really have no itinerary other than to just wander . Also going to try & catch Martin Cilia, AU's #1 surf guitarist, if he is playing anywhere. Also going to try & make New Zealand, too. You can message me here on the forum when the time comes.

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 5:14 am    

I really don't know where you guys get the impression that Australia is full of nasties that will end your life Smile. Yes we have all the lethal snakes here, fish that will kill you, octopus too, spiders are very dangerous. The Sydney Funnel web spider is not confined to Sydney at all but found everywhere. OK that spider will kill you. Sleeping off the ground may not save you from that one either. Check your bedding before you get in.
You may see a snake occasionally and will most likely be brown in colour. Do Not approach this snake. This Eastern Brown snake is the second most venomous snake on the planet and is seen all over the continent. Black snakes are not as bad. Tiger snakes are nasty. the Taipan is a big long brown snake. RUN. Of course the Death Adder is named with good reason. But..... Most snakes will keep away from you. (except the Brown snake that killed my dog last year at my back door. Dog killed it too)
In north Queensland do not swim in summer. Box Jelly fish will ruin your holiday and confine you to a hospital for a spell. There are few sharks in North Queensland as the Saltwater crocodiles ate most them. Laughing Don't eat the puffer fish and if you see a cute small octopus with blue rings that change colour, DO NOT pick it up under any circumstances.

Snake bite is not common. Shark attacks seem to be in the news a lot in the last few years. Just be sensible. I have an agreement with sharks: I don't go in the water if they dont go to the pub. Works fine.

Otherwise OK. (Kangaroos and Koalas are just lovely. Emus are just dumb). Enjoy your trip.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 8:50 am    

Yeah, but what about robber crabs?

Brett Foster

Bellbowrie, Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 4:18 pm    

The last week of January each year is Australia's largest country music festival in Tamworth NSW. It has the usual mix of has-been and wanna-be rockers but some good western swing and "proper" country can be found with a smattering of nice PSG. Hopefully the covid restrictions will allow it to go ahead next year
(Shobud Maverick 3+1)

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 4:40 pm    

Never heard of Robber Crabs, Frank. But looking at them I think we can add them to the list. Christmas Island is rarely if ever visited by most of us on the mainland. It is a long, long way from Australia and actually closer to Indonesia. Who knows what happens up there!

Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 10:43 am    

Find out where Lucky Oceans is playing. I think he lives near Perth.

Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 7:43 pm    

Rich, check in with me when it's closer to your trip and I'll point you in the direction of some steel players here!

PS - I've lived in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney for 44 years and have never been attacked by anything worse than a mosquito or a small child...I think you'll be fine on the deadly creature front.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 2:11 pm    

Rich:

Are you planning for a 14 day quarantine?

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 5:45 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Rich:

Are you planning for a 14 day quarantine?

No; I have my vax card & already had the 'Rona last month, so I should be good to go.
Just heard from my friend last night & she said she thought that AU was going to be quarantined till '024, but she said she wasn't sure & I would imagine there would be exceptions.

Yes; I plan on making the Tamworth festival. Also want to visit Steve Irwin's place; I always followed his exploits.

I can identify all the nasties & crawlies; the ones that scare me the most are the funnel webs & Taipans. Definitely NOT going swimming!

Damien; I will definitely PM you about a month before I go; thank you.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 11:03 am    

Look up Lucy Oceans. He is on Facebook. Wonderful guy. I am sure he would fill you in on where to go and when and where and when he will be out and about playing, that is, if COVID hasn't totally shut things down, down under.

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 4:06 am    

Any trip to Australia should include seeking out Michel Rose. Wonderfully nice man, and a beast on pedal steel.

https://www.facebook.com/michel.rose.9083

Been there twice! Have fun!

Sincerely,

David Spires

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 6:31 am    

What David said! Michel is amazing! He plays with such fire! And a nice gentleman indeed!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 4:20 pm    

Yes Michel is a top bloke and wonderful steel player --- he is now living on the Gold Coast, Queensland - after decades in Sydney !! you should be able to get hold of him via facebook to see what he's doing if your in that area of OZ

:-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 7:05 pm    

Rich I am jealous of your trip. I went in conjunction with The Army Band in 2000 and stayed after three weeks (red enter and top end). As a tuba player, the didgeridoo came natural and I brought back six.

I remember flies, flies, and flies-biting flies. There was no end to the flies and we had to buy one of those hats with the mesh that goes down over your face.

Also in Brisbane they let us just rent a car and off you go. Probably the single most frightening experience I've ever had in my life.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip next year.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:18 am    

Jon Voth wrote:

Also in Brisbane they let us just rent a car and off you go. Probably the single most frightening experience I've ever had in my life.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip next year.

Why was it so frightening? Sounds interesting!

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:33 am    

Having to drive on the other side in a car with the wheel on the other side as well!

In a fairly big city right out of the gate. Pure craziness!

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 6:35 am    

Jon Voth wrote:
Having to drive on the other side in a car with the wheel on the other side as well!

In a fairly big city right out of the gate. Pure craziness!

One of my favorite scenes from a movie is in European vacation where Chevy Chase is told my his wife "You are on the wrong side of the road" and he says "I am on the wrong side of the car".