The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First gig w. Brownell Tuning
Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 8:56 pm    

Yesterday was the first gig our group had in 14 months. Also it was my first gig using the Brownell tuning on my 8 string lap steel. I did fair. Missed a few grips by one string. At first I found learning the tuning too difficult and I gave up for a short while but a little later decided to continue to learn it. Now I am really enjoying the tuning and the options it provides. It seems a little like playing my former Bb universal peddle tuning. Before I used 13th tunings on lap steel & the Leavitt tuning which I still like for some songs.
My instrumentals were greenlight, just a closer walk with thee, midnight in Amarillo, & Bubbles in my beer. It was fun to play out again. I mean outside on a large patio.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 9:28 pm    

Isn't the Brownell tuning the same as the Alkire Eharp tuning, except on a longer scale? Claude Brownell was a master player.

Joe A. Roberts

Seoul, South Korea
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 10:42 pm    

How did you scale back the tuning for 8 strings?

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 5:14 am    

Yes, the Brownell tuning is the eharp tuning tuned down a 5th.

the top two strings of the 10 string tuning repeat on the bottom two strings, so it is possible to just use the top 8 strings of the Eharp tuning and get the same chords, just not all the inversions.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 8:19 am    

Perhaps someone is willing to spell the tuning out in this thread?
Low to high, or better yet, stacked vertically?

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 9:35 am    

Actually, I tune one fret lower than Claude BrownellÒ€ℒs tuned down Alkire tuning. The reason I did that is because for years I played a 12 string Bb 6 Universal so I wanted to use basically the same frets. I credit Bill McCloskey for inspiring me to play the tuning.
The Brownell Version of the Alkire tuning is based on 10 strings so I dropped the bottom two strings for the eight string version.

My tuning low to high: B C C sharp D D sharp F G Bb

Claude Brownell had a custom made console steel guitar with a 30 inch scale neck. The lap steel I used for convenience has a 22.5 inch scale. I also put the tuning on one of the necks on my fender Stringmaster quad that has 24 inch plus necks. That seems a little better for me when playing those high positions. Later I hope to get a single eight string with a little longer scale like the stringmaster.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 9:56 am    

Don; Those chromatic low strings would be fun to work with!
I would love to hear some sound clips of you playing with this tuning. It looks like a major triad is easy to grip on strings 4-2-1 a minor chord is a bit more tricky with strings 5-2-1 and there are so many other cool chords and harmonized runs possible.

Do you use a lot of slants with this tuning as well?

Shocked I would be completely lost... Dom

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 10:28 am    

Don Crowl wrote:

My tuning low to high: B C C sharp D D sharp F G Bb

Mixing sharps and flats in a tuning makes my head hurt. Laughing Here it is as one or the other
Tab:
Bb    A#
G     G
F     F
Eb    D#
D     D
Db    C#
C     C
B     B

Following Alkire, the 9th string would be Bb (A#) making it a complete octave. The 10th string would be G.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 12:06 pm    

i listened to what i could find of brownell and i liked his playing. the 30" guitar has a very nice sound to it.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 1:11 pm    

I've posted the tracks from his CD to https://soundhost.net/2021/05/claude-brownell/.

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2021 4:01 pm    

Dom: I've only used a slant for one inversion of a diminished in "Midnight in Amarillo" & that being in the bridge where it is convenient to play all the spreads/grips within a few frets. I've only been working with the tuning this year. During that time I went from quitting for a short while due to intimidation to inspiration. I would get inspiration listening to CB's playing, which I often did. My way of learning the tuning is probably unusual, that being a combination of by ear and studying a contrived matrix. I really should make basic tabs because if I don't play a song for a few days I find it difficult to remember the grips and fret positions where I captured the sounds I want. It is a continual learning & memory challenge for me but I get real satisfaction & pleasure from the sounds.
B0B: You are right with the 10 full string tuned down Alkire tuning & more logical in describing the tuning. I often have an unusual way of thinking so I wrestle with how I make a matrix or describe a tuning.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 6:17 pm     Claude Brownell Video

Here's a full set of Claude Brownell from 1999.
https://youtu.be/PoDgTCDHCOw

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2022 6:41 pm    

In addition to his wonderful playing......he is some entertaining personality......