The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  To Practice or Not to Practice?
Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 7:40 am    

I'm 74 and I practice every day, because my memory is not as good as it once was. I play very few shows anymore, but I like to keep in shape just in case. Besides, I love learning new tunes, new licks, etc.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 7:51 am    

I played Pedal Steel on a local bands new Album a few weeks ago. The guy texted me last night to play a gig tonight! They are the headlining band at a local club.
He will play acoustic guit and lead sing (the guys sounds like Steve Forbert if you know who that is), Female upright Bass player/singer (ya don't see that every day!), and drums (and me on Steel). So I have today off and will be playing through the songs he sent me and possibly have the guy come over this afternoon to play through the set. He said there will be more gigs to come so that is cool. A new band to play with.
And so it goes! The motivation returns.
One other thing I did this last year that helped to keep me in the Steel Seat, I bought several of the Buddy Emmons Swing Series courses, and have had great fun playing along with many of those songs (my Dad really loves all these songs, so fun to play for him). Excellent Rhythm Tracks, and Bill Ferguson has posted a 1992 Steel Convention set of the full band playing all the songs live. I also bought two Country-Rock Rhythm Track CD's from Mike Headrick and have had a great time playing with those (Amie, Take It Easy, NRPS, Poco, Burrito Bros, etc). Jim Cohen also made several of his Rhythm Tracks available and I like playing along with the songs Java and Someday Soon and a few others. I also bought some Herb Steiner Country Rhythm Tracks which are really great quality and fun to play along with.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 2:10 pm    

Only when I have something coming up. Gig, Jam, rehearsal, etc. Otherwise I end up slacking.

I'm not good enough to gig much, but I have a duo and we're working up tunes for post-covid. Meeting every other week is just enough impetus to get me to the steel about every other day.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 9:13 pm    

Usually 3-5 hours a day

Someday I’ll get it, I’m pretty sure

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 10:26 am    

Christopher Woitach wrote:
Usually 3-5 hours a day

Someday I’ll get it, I’m pretty sure

You're already one of the best Jazz Pedal Steel Players on planet earth, Christopher!

Last edited by Pete Burak on 3 May 2021 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 11:56 am    

I practice at least 3 hours per day.

Why?, No particular reason. It beats TV or online stuff.

I started out just learning song after song.
Now I devote a lot of time practicing right hand technique, bar movement, using the volume pedal and phrasing.

I about have the right hand down but the bar and volume still need a lot of work.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 5:10 pm    

Steve Spitz, you're not alone. I too have been finding it hard to motivate myself to practice. I've done a little here and there, but I haven't been able to get into a routine.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 5:22 pm    

Steve Spitz, you're not alone. I too have been finding it hard to motivate myself to practice. I've done a little here and there, but I haven't been able to get into a routine. Oddly, the little playing that I've done has been really productive concerning finding new licks, so there's that.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 12:51 am    

Early in this thread Charley Bond made a useful distinction between what you want to play and how you're going to play it. On pedal steel, from What to How can be a bigger journey than on most instruments as there are so many options.

I don't have a settled routine because I'm not a full-time pro. I do enough to keep up with fortnightly rehearsals for maybe monthly gigs. Right hand technique is what I have to work on most as it's peculiar to this instrument. I accept any sign of overall improvement as a welcome bonus. I am over the moon that I get to play this amazing instrument in a more-than-competent band.

A few years back I heard another teacher tell a kid "Don't practise stuff you can play", a piece of advice I try to follow - but you have to give yourself a pat on the back now and then, don't you? Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 7:58 am    

Quote:
A few years back I heard another teacher tell a kid "Don't practise stuff you can play"

Ian, I understand what this teacher was getting at. But just last night, I tried to play a tune that I have not touched in a couple months. I knew it very well back then and could play straight through no problem. Well I butchered the crap out of it first time through.

I think there is a certain degree of “use it or lose it”, not just with steel guitar but with anything. My practice routine involves an occasional review of very rudimentary technique. Playing through that song reminded me to take that aspect a little more seriously, as well as including a regular review of material that I think I know.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 8:15 am    

I agree about the need to review stuff. I haven't figured out how long it takes me to forget things, but I know it happens eventually.

Thornton Lewis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 2:24 pm    

I know exactly what it takes me to forget stuff. Two days without practice, two drinks, or two people listening.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 9:22 pm    

Thornton Lewis wrote:
I know exactly what it takes me to forget stuff. Two days without practice, two drinks, or two people listening.

Laughing 👍

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 2:21 pm    

practice is a good thing but not when it becomes a burden laying off for a day or so can give you a fresh approach and might even make you smile.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 7 May 2021 9:17 pm    

'When you miss practicing:

One day, nobody knows

Two days, You know

Three days, Everybody knows!

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 8:46 am    

Fred... It amazes me how fast I can forget something I spent a lot of time learning. Someday Soon, Wheels, Ashokan Farewell, Sweet Memories, Rose Colored Glasses, Tears on the Bar and a bunch more; I spent a month or 6 weeks learning each one of them. And, If I do not run through them regularly, I forget! In some cases, I actually have to go back to the tab and relearn them.

I use Song Surgeon's "Play List" feature to pull up the backing tracks and go through the songs. The loop back feature also helps me smooth out rough passages.

I seem to be most vulnerable to forgetting what I already know is when I am concentrating on learning a new song.

However, the stuff I learned on the acoustic 6 string when I was in my teens... That stuff comes back in a heart beat! Go figure. It must be an (choking) age thang!

Practice! Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 11:49 am    

Dan - You, me, and Thornton must have gone to the same school. You know, that one that you thought you’d already graduated from once, but have to keep going back. That is so true, what you said about acoustic guitar solos. They’re no problem, even not having played them in 20 years. It’s all good though. Going back to PSG Academy the fourth or fifth time through, I learn something new each time. The growth is outward in 3 dimensions, not linear, and I’m sure it will be endless. Even Paul Franklin says something similar to what Thornton and Ron F said regarding practice.

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 5:26 pm    

There is another reason why I practice constantly.

I don't play well enough and practicing is the only way I know of to get any better.

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 8 May 2021 6:11 pm    

Fine. I'll practice. Jeez.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 11:58 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
Definitely, every day I’m home.
Obsession.
Driven.
Fanatic.
Lunatic.
Like some Thing is chasing me and will catch me if I dont get better.

Bingo. Me too

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 3:31 pm    

Thornton Lewis wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 5:38 pm    

I keep thinking Ron Wood may be on to something.