The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New To Lap Steel
Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 12:20 pm    

I decided to take the plunge into the lap steel world....ok compared to most of you on this forum, I've just stuck my big toe in lol....but any way I decided to buy my first lap steel....I tried for a vintage Fender but found nothing that seemed reasonable in a 6 string single (Reverb is a weird place to try to bargain with folks lol)....so I looked at at a Magnatone G-70 with legs (seller wouldn't ship even though offered to pay for)....several other Gibsons and such,,,,finally found a National 1956 steel (a student model called the 1065 I believe) at a reasonable price:

This should be delivered today.

BUT I saw a few different posts on the forum here about the late Tom Pettingill's lap steels....and I was blown away by the sheer artistry involved in his builds....his choice of woods....his choice of hardware....so I posted in the Wanted To Buy section of the Forum Classifieds that if anyone had a Tom Pettingill 6 string lap steel available I was interested in buying....and I was able to arrange to purchase one of Tom's lap steels:

This lap steel hopefully will be shipped in next day or so and make its way to its new Canadian home.

All in all a good start if not all the lap steels likely needed....I am a guitar player....preferring Teles and then Strats....but some hand issues got me thinking about trying lap steel and I think I made some interesting first forays down into the rabbit hole of lap steels....and I'm looking forward to getting to play both very soon....

Last edited by Mike Ormsby on 5 May 2021 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 12:53 pm    

LOL! Lap steels are like ukuleles and bunnies, they multiply when you're not looking.

The National was/is a very good choice. Those string-through pickups are great.
The Pettingill looks phenomenal! Enjoy them both.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 1:44 pm    

That National looks gorgeous.

I don't understand the phrase "all the lap steels likely needed" though Smile

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 1:50 pm    

Those are beauties, Mike! You won't regret learning to play. It's a never ending puzzle that is unlike any other musical instrument.

Last edited by Joe Cook on 5 May 2021 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 1:50 pm     new to lap

IF you need any learning material contact Roy Thomson he lives in Wolfville Canada he is a forum member.And a super guy and very talanted person. he can help you out with what ever you need. Good luck and welcome to the forum

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 2:07 pm    

Appreciate all the kind words....and encouragement....I've learned a lot from this forum just researching lap steels to potentially buy....AND since I already suffer from acute GAS....and I have half convinced the wife that lap steels are smaller and less money than most other guitars....so therefore take up less space and take a less hit on the bank account....you can never have too many guitars....which includes some more lap steels eventually...

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 2:14 pm    

Mike, I can tell you have the correct frame of mind for success! Laughing

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 5:24 pm    

Well I added one more lap steel....damn GAS lol....I love Fenders (Strats and Teles)....and have been trying to get my hands on a cool Fender lap steel.....think I got just the one today....a 1950s Deluxe Six String:

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 13 May 2021 9:24 pm    

Thanks for buying that one! It was tempting me.

I already have a 50s Champ, but the Deluxe with legs would be nice to keep “ready to play” in a music room. Congratulations.

You might want to keep your eyes open for a Rickenbacher bakelite, Reverb almost always has some, but they are almost always overpriced. If you’re patient you shoukd find one at about 1000.00.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 May 2021 4:51 am    

Allan Revich wrote:
Thanks for buying that one! It was tempting me.

I already have a 50s Champ, but the Deluxe with legs would be nice to keep “ready to play” in a music room. Congratulations.

You might want to keep your eyes open for a Rickenbacher bakelite, Reverb almost always has some, but they are almost always overpriced. If you’re patient you shoukd find one at about 1000.00.

Anything I can do to help out a fellow Canuck....lol

I think I'm done for a while....still waiting on this and Pettingill steel I bought....but a Rickenbacher bakelite with a horseshoe pickup? A Panda? Hmmmmmm....lol

Mike Ormsby

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 May 2021 3:52 pm    

So I got the Fender Studio Deluxe bought on Reverb finally yesterday....after some checking and sleuthing I realized it wasn't a 50s model....and not all original (especially legs included....not adjustable)....so not as described in listing....so I contacted seller and was approved to return asap for full refund....out couple of hundred for customs duty charges....and likely have to pay for shipping back....so expensive lesson....SO after weighing all options I decided to keep after all....and I still have two great lap steels....really loving both old 50s National AND especially the Tom Pettingill