The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal....which is the best.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2013 2:54 pm    

As a long time professional player and studio musician I have used just about everything over the years -- but I got a Telonics pedal when they first arrived on the scene, directly from Dave at the Dallas Steel Show the first year he was there ... IMO there is nothing else that comes close in playability and engineering quality and foresight. And the ability to be upgraded online pretty much makes it future proof.
Never had one issue with the 2 pedals I own and they have done a ton of work since I have had them.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Last edited by Paddy Long on 12 May 2021 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scott Hay

Portland, OR / Yucca Valley, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2013 8:18 am    

Guys.... I've been using pot. I keep it in my volume pedal. I'm sorry.

Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 9:30 am    

For you guys that like the pot pedals, do your pots have a linear or audio taper?

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 11:59 am    

I like pot. What was the question again ? Embarassed

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2014 2:00 pm    

Richard Keller wrote:
For you guys that like the pot pedals, do your pots have a linear or audio taper?

The audio taper is the de-facto standard, but either will work. It's just that the linear pot "comes on" faster, and requires far less foot movement. The zero volume and max volume are exactly the same, and there's no tone difference between the two.

Here's a clip made awhile back...me, at an unrehearsed, rough-as-a-cob, outdoor gig, with a pot pedal and Peavey solid-state amp. Guitar, pot pedal, amp, and nothing else. Now, I don't claim to be a great player, but listen to how the high harmonics ring out! Whoa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8psmkuBb14

Pot pedals kill the highs, do they?

Whatever you guys say. Oh Well

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 2:27 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:

Pot pedals kill the highs, do they?

Whatever you guys say. Oh Well

I don't think Scott Hays' pot pedals have any problems with their highs getting killed.

Nice sound,Donny.
I agree. If pot pedals kill any highs it wouldn't really matter much since we adjust for all that at the amp anyway? It's always a balancing act. I think its strange that when my high strings were sounding thin, my mentor suggested I turn up the low end a little and lo and behold, there were the highs that had been hiding.
I think there are subtleties that we all appreciate as individuals when we hear them, that don't make a lick of a difference to anybody else, except that when we are more comfortable with our sound, we play better. As long is my pedal has lots of audio-grade pot and lots of chrome, I am happy.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 8:42 am    

My favorite is the Hilton Low Profile pedal, followed by the Goodrich LDR2. I am really partial to the electronic pedals. I tried a friend's Telonics pedal and didn't really care for it. I even set it to the "Hilton" taper setting. But, I will admit, I only gave it a 1 hour test drive. I would have probably liked it better if it were mine and I could spend the time with it and tweak it to my taste.

But, I have had 2 Hilton pedals and had problems with both. The first one, I went through 3 wal-warts. I am sure it wasn't the pedal taking them out. All those gigs were outside and the power to the "stage" probably wasn't all that good. I sold that first pedal (needed the cash at the time). I kind of recently bought another one. Last Saturday, playing an outside gig in 90+ degree weather, the glue holding the rubber top to the pedal came "unglued" (so did I) and slid of the pedal as I played. For the first set, I kept putting it back on the pedal hoping it would stay. Nope. At break time, I got out my Goodrich LDR2. By the way all you guys that gig, carry some kind of spare VP with you. Today I'm going to Re-glue the top part of the pedal back on and be as good as new.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2014 1:54 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
...By the way all you guys that gig, carry some kind of spare VP with you.

In 50 years of playing, never have, never will. (I've used the same pedal since 1963. Through the equivalent of about 10,000 gigs, if it was ever going to let me down, it likely would'a happened by now. Alien )

James Woodall

Queens, New York
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 11:57 am    

I wonder if there are any new perspectives on this question as I am now in the market for a new volume pedal. Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one!

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 2:51 pm    

James I'd say the best volume pedal is the one you don't think about.
I use an active Telonics- because I got a good deal, the customization options (set it and forget it) and their customer service is outstanding. I also use a passive Moyo, for the size and ease- quick set-ups/changeovers,small stages,and frying an active VP in Europe-all good reasons to go passive. It takes a few seconds to transition between the feel of the two- the Moyo has the pot characteristic of less brightness early in the throw- not a problem, and sometimes I prefer that. I'd truly be happy using any Hilton/Goodrich, and I have.
In terms of newer developments, I appreciate Goodrich's Omni- smart design, passive/active, and the flexibility to plug in from either side- all great, and I'd pick one up if it solved any problems I had.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 3:14 pm    

I'm a pot guy, big surprise.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 3:44 pm    

Telonics best, Hilton best value.

The Telonics is crystal clear but has a stack of features I shall never use - the Hilton just works extremely well for a lot less money. I also have a Goodrich which I bought out of curiosity. It's very nice and I can see why it's kind of the industry standard, but I've had no occasion to use it yet.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 6:40 pm    

Goodrich pot pedal. I have a Hilton too. I guess old habits makes me prefer the pot pedal with no power supplies needed.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 8:30 pm    

James Woodall wrote:
I wonder if there are any new perspectives on this question as I am now in the market for a new volume pedal. Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one!

I'm still using Goodrich L120s with there new pots in them. I bought a pile of replacement pots and sold them after a while because the ones in them don't seem to ever wear out. I also use MOYO pedals. I use them for fly dates and I keep one in my seat as a backup. They are really awesome. They feel and sound like a Goodrich. Very well priced too.

If you are considering a more complex pedal I suggest a careful study of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 7:27 am    

Purchased a Lehle 90 a couple months back and it is great.... I was planning to buy a Telonics but the price at 2x the Lehle just was a bit over the top. I have been a pot-pedal person for decades, but with no quality pots available for replacement there are not many options.

Robert

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 7:53 am    

Bob Hoffnar, that was hilarious. As a retired Chrysler dealer technician, I believe I had that instructor. I met Keith Hilton back when he introduced his pedals at his booth in St Louis. At the time I was studying advanced electronics and attending GM specialized electronics for the new Buick Riviera. I fully understood his concept and was impressed. I already had a Morley volume pedal for guitar and Goodrich for pedal steel. Good pots were plentiful so I dismissed the need for advanced pedals for steel. Besides, everyone I admired used pot pedals at the time. I now own several Goodrich, Ernie Ball, and others including a Hilton. I do notice a tone difference in the various designs. I still use the Goodrich with a buffer in front as my go to pedal. Old habits are hard to break.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 8:32 am    

I don't think there's a lot new under the sun wrt volume pedals since this thread started except the Goodrich Omni, which you can read more about here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=332166

The Omni looks like a winner to me (IMO, there is no 'best', but lots of good choices) since it has the option of both active and passive operation. I guess the passive operation is "backup" in case the active has an issue like the battery going dead. I think if I was in the market for something new, I'd be looking at one of these because I absolutely will not mess around with a power supply wire going into a volume pedal that sits under my pedal steel.

Personally, I generally prefer potentiometer pedals - 500K for pedal steel, but 250K is generally OK for guitar. I actually like the fact that you lose a little brilliance as the pedal is backed off. When I turn down, I usually want to be less present in the mix. I have buffers (my fave is Sarno Freeloader) if I really need one, but I haven't really needed it much lately. So I have a few old Sho Bud volume pedals and what I believe is a lifetime supply of Allen-Bradley 500k pots. But honestly, I can't remember the last time I had to change one of these, and those old Sho Bud pedals are built to withstand plenty of abuse.

Ha, the Chrysler thing is hilarious. I worked at Chrysler (OR/IE/Materials) in Detroit in the 70s - early 80s. That one looks like it was made right after I left. This kind of technobabble goes back a long way - e.g., https://youtu.be/raPNZc5ehYM?t=87 and I'm sure earlier.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 8:43 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:

I'm still using Goodrich L120s with there new pots in them. I bought a pile of replacement pots and sold them after a while because the ones in them don't seem to ever wear out. I also use MOYO pedals. I use them for fly dates and I keep one in my seat as a backup. They are really awesome. They feel and sound like a Goodrich. Very well priced too.

If you are considering a more complex pedal I suggest a careful study of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

But...but...but...is the Turbo Encabulator passive or active? Does it need a power supply, have a pot, no pot? Maybe people on pot understand.

Last edited by Jim Cooley on 26 Apr 2021 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 8:56 am    

I love my Moyo. No wires, tiny size

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 12:19 pm    

Robert Parent wrote:
I have been a pot-pedal person for decades, but with no quality pots available for replacement there are not many options.

Robert

Robert and all concerned,
There are good pots available now. They are at least as good as the old military grade ones. They are available straight from Goodrich and other places. They last forever and work perfect. I have been using them for years and have never replaced one.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 12:32 pm    

Hilton

Thornton Lewis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 11:51 am    

I'm going to second the Moyo. Cheapish, tiny, built like a tank, no power supply. I have a Hilton low profile and it is great, but too darn big. The Moyo stays out of the way while a two foot my Uni 7x5 which I do a lot.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 7:36 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Robert Parent wrote:
I have been a pot-pedal person for decades, but with no quality pots available for replacement there are not many options.

Robert

Robert and all concerned,
There are good pots available now. They are at least as good as the old military grade ones. They are available straight from Goodrich and other places. They last forever and work perfect. I have been using them for years and have never replaced one.

Bob,

Glad you had success, but I have not with those and other so called 'premium pots'. The tapers are not even or they just don't last before the noise returns.

Robert

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 7:25 pm    

Love my Telonic’s !

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 11:12 am    

Caveat #1, I play more lap than pedal steel.

Caveat #2: I don't believe either the Telonics or Hilton are easily available in Europe so I make do with what I can get!

My first pedal was a cheap Bespeco. It is not even worth using as a paper weight!

I had a Morley for a long time and liked that till it started to squeak and I made the error of applying WD40. Don't ever do that!

I have a Boss FV50 which I found ok and its my back-up pedal to ...

... a second-hand Goodrich and I really like this but it does occasionally have a mechanical noise. Essentially its a length of string wound around the pot so it's easy to repair!

Now for something completely different. I often use a Roland Expression pedal because it's a one cable connection to my Boss MS3 FX unit so simplicity itself. In comparison to the Goodrich its a little too small and not so stable on the floor.

So I guess I am a Goodrich fan. I have often considered the Lehle which is made here in Germany, it's just a matter of finding a dealer, blindsiding the wife, etc..

\paul