The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  R&L Carriers (Shipping Discussion)
Nick Fryer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 6:45 am    

Hi -

I know there have been many threads about shipping but I thought I'd start a new one if that's OK.

Has anyone ever used R&L Carriers to ship Steels?

https://www.rlcarriers.com

I recently bought a pretty heavy piece of equipment for my shop and it was shipped to me via R&L Carriers. The equipment was delivered to me on a wood pallet, the pallet was taken on and off the truck via a lift and then wheeled up my driveway to my back door on a electric forklift. The equipment came from Colorado and was delivered to my home in Ohio. The total weight of the pallet weighed about 80lbs and it cost me $115. It got me wondering why people don't use this service for shipping Steel Guitars. There has to be a catch, because it seems too good to be true. I need to read up on their website more but thought it might be good to post here. Any thoughts or similar services used by others?

Thanks - NF

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 7:46 am    

I've never used R&L but I have used Forward Air to ship an engine and it was very economical. Never thought about using them for an instrument. You may be on to something...

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 9:04 am    

I have both shipped and received large / heavy items from R&L at my home. R&L seems to have a lot of trailers with the "lift gate" feature for deliveries to locations with no dock. R&L communicates delivery times and pick up times well and I have found them to be easy to do business with. Here is a pic of the trailer with the "lift gate:"

I believe R&L handles only palletized shipments. So... I can imagine that, properly packaged and protected, a steel could be shipped via R&L.

Even if palletized, the PSG would still need to be packaged well.

Mike Wilson

Mansfield, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 5:10 am    

I used to drive for R & L Carriers and I will tell you that anything that is labeled fragile is treated with the utmost care. I have never seen any of the drivers throw anything around. Everything for the most part is palleted and either fork lifted or handtrucked onto and off the trailer or truck. I too, have often wondered why they were not used to ship steel guitars. I don't know about the other LTL companies, but I would trust R&L with the most expensive crystal. They are a good shipping company.