The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  COVID idea to keep picks in shape!
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 11:58 pm    

I use plastic picks when I play an acoustic and use the hot water method to shape them to my fingers. Inspired by Sebastian Müller's videos. I attempted some Hoopii-esque pick-tremolos which resulted in both picks flying off my fingers. Now I had noticed they were looser than normal and assumed my hands were cold but after several attempts the problem repeated. So I checked my "stock" of picks and yep, most were looser than how I shaped them so I guess they revert back to their original form over time.

Well there are very few shops open in Germany right now so you have to use what you have at hand - I went to my basement to get some painters sticking-tape with the idea of bending and holding them into shape. Then I noticed an unused tool holder, the kind you screw to the wall for holding hammers etc..

Picks fit perfectly, mimnimal force neded and this seems to hold them into the size I need! Just thought I'd share!

\paul

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 5 May 2021 1:42 am    

Don't need it for picks, BUT the idea that you have just given me for something else entirely is PURE GOLD !

Thanks so much! Wink

Cheers,
Peter