The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel overhauls
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 11:50 am    

Anyone in the maritimes that do complete restoration of lap steels,electronics\ setup\ etc.
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 12:12 pm    

If you have a minimal collection of hand tools and can wield a soldering iron, it's pretty easy to do it yourself. Lap steels are not exactly fine violins. I've rescued/rehabbed/rebuilt dozens of lap steels -- mostly Gibsons, but a couple Rics, Fenders, and some oddballs as well. I'm certainly not the second coming of Antoni Stradivari, Chris Martin Sr, Orville Gibson, or Paul Bigsby, etc. Most any parts you'll need are currently available, and whatever isn't can be custom fabricated without a great degree of difficulty or expense. I wholeheartedly recommend giving it a try yourself. But be forewarned -- it's addictive.

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 2 May 2021 1:07 pm     overhaul

thanks i just might do that
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 7:42 pm    

Lap steels reduced to the lowest common denominator are basically a slab of wood (a 2x4 works fine) and strings.
(of course the strings must be able to old pitch, so zither pins, a tapered wooden peg or better yet a geared tuning machine is needed. If amplification is desired a guitar pickup is also necessary.

Anything beyond these basics is just icing on the cake.

Now when it comes to making it look great, shaping and sanding, painting, staining, sealing the finish is where the real craftsmanship is required. Gold or chromed hardware, electronics, fancy fretboards, laminated exotic woods, pearl inlays, edge binding etc. Can make it a work of art. But beauty is not necessary for playability or great tone.

JMHO:

Dom

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 3 May 2021 4:01 pm     Overhaul

Well i did it,i took it apart,lubed what needed lube,cleaned,adjusted pickup poles,with new strings,tuned to open G, my own guage selection, 56/46/36/26/18w/16. I like the wound 3rd.The strings are D'Addario Nickle,sounds and plays great except for a little wolf tones on 1&2 strings.