The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BL 712 exact dimensions without the base
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 1:32 pm    

I'm thinking of dropping a BL 712 in my D12 Dekley. As you might know, the routing is smaller than most. I'd like to do it by filing away the mounting base of the 712 and making my own base with the two adjust screws (like the Dekely pickup) and just attach it to the bottom with maybe velcro. Of course the top measurement won't matter but I'd need to fit the bottom into the routing so I'd like to find the measurement without the base. How small can I make it? I really don't want to enlarge the routing if possible. Anyone have that measurement without the base?
I already emailed Becky at Lawrence but haven't heard back yet.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 1:50 pm    

4.53"

1.34"

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 3 May 2021 2:14 pm    

Thanks a lot Jon! That was quick. I really wanted to measure that today so I can decide.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 3 May 2021 2:47 pm    

Shoot. The width would probably work. The hole is 1.43". The length is .15" too short. Maybe I could dremel away 1/8" on each end if I'm careful. I don't want to bung it up. The strings are a little closer too but I'm thinking those poles are big enough to cover that. The strings are at 0.27".

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 2:59 pm    

I just couldn't endure the same issue with my 12 string Sho-Bud and I took a Dremel to the aluminum cavity surround so I could get a 912 in it. It was NOT pretty. but not awful either. I pretty much shrug....I achieved what I wanted/needed. It's frustrating that there aren't universal cavity specs. But between your Dekley and my Bud, we're talking about some old guitars.

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 3 May 2021 3:19 pm    

Well I'll give it a go. I'll tape off 1/8" on each end and keep it as straight as I can. This is a pretty guitar and is that custom Dekley built for Bill Stroud. Good looks are nice but I think it could sound better. At least I won't be going into aluminum! Just Pakawood and the lamination.