The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter bellcrank bolts and position 1
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 5:37 pm    

I am re rodding a Carter I recently acquired. This my third one, so I am already familiar with the infamous dogbones (or barbells). I have a batch of Bill Liscomb's replacements, but I'm taking a zen approach to the original doodads for the time being. Serenity now.

There's another nagging issue, though, that I don't remember seeing discussed on the Forum. I'm hoping that's because there's a simple workaround that every Carter owner but me knows about. Namely, if a rod is in the lowest position on the bellcrank, I cannot find a way to remove it without first removing the bolt that secures the bellcrank to the cross-shaft; the loop on the end of the rod won't go past the bolt head. That's not the biggest deal in the world, but it is a hassle that seems like it shouldn't be built into the design. Is there some technique that I am missing? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 May 2021 5:41 pm    

...no cures that I know of. Of course the straighter you can get the rod, the easier the removal....I know, hard to do with the rod still in the changer.

Several other designs have the same issue.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 2:21 am    

I remove the screw, put the rod in, put the screw in and tighten it back up. With Bill's replacements, that shouldn't be an issue.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2021 2:28 am    

Yeah, I'm thinking of going through and replacing all the pulls in the lowest hole with Bill's parts. I have one extra long pull rod, so I could start with that as a replacement and use each one that gets the new collar to replace the next shorter one (allowing for cutting off the loops)