The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  6 string G tuned pedal steel
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 9:52 am    

I don't have a pedal steel tuned to G. However, I do have a couple of nonpedal steels tuned to a G-based tunings, and the reason is that the sonority is quite different, which I find useful for some things.

The solid-body console steel with a G6 neck has a sound of its own, but quite different than a resonator. But one of these steels is a '38 National Silvo which I use to approximate an amplified resonator type of sound, and it works pretty well. Not perfect, but in a band mix it's pretty cool. These Silvo bodies were built to make National tri-cone lap steels, but apparently when sales weren't so great, they replaced the cones with a plate with a pickup in it, dropped it in, and called it the Silvo. It's very unique.

If you tune to the typical intervals of (1=root) 1 2 3 5 1 3, which is the same as strings 8 through 3 of an E9 pedal steel, I don't see why it particularly matters what you choose for your root except for the tonality - you're gonna learn to play it like strings 8 through 3 of a pedal steel. I also don't see why you couldn't change strings to make an E add2 tuning (it's not really E9 owing to the absence of the b7th note on string 9). Of course, you'll need to select strings appropriate for whatever root you choose. For a typical resonator-range instrument starting at G2 on the bottom, the frequency range is lower, so those strings would be heavier than typical E9 pedal steel. Once you know the scale length of the guitar, you can use something like this string tension calculator to figure out what an appropriate set of strings might be for the G tuning - https://tension.stringjoy.com/. Just figure out the tension for E9 pedal steel, and then figure out which strings give you that same tension for the G tuning. This is important if you don't want to have to totally re-jig the pulls if you decide to change tunings.

Personally, for pedal steel, I would not substitute a G-based tuning for E9. I doubt the G tuning will sound much like classic E9 pedal steel owing to the lower range and different sonority. But as an extra neck or guitar for some situations, I think it's a great idea. The Franklin Pedabros do not go for big money just because they are rare. That's part of it, but it's also a great sound. I think Jimmie was building some at some point, I'm sure he can elaborate. Here's Paul Franklin mixing standard pedal steel (I assume E9 but with Paul you never know for sure) and Pedabro back when - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJXbIP83A8

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 1:30 pm     6 string E9

https://youtu.be/Q91h88b2TOo

That boy can pick cuz.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 3:53 am     Re: 6 string E9

Michael Sawyer wrote:
https://youtu.be/Q91h88b2TOo

That boy can pick cuz.
Yes and that was recorded the first day he got the Guitar. He came to the shop and picked up the guitar and in less then 4 hours made the recording.
He sure can play. Smooth as Don Helms.

Woody Lambert

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 6:45 pm    

Again I have much appreciation for all of the advice regarding number of strings and E9 tuning. Also, Jimmy makes G tuned pedal steels but that is not what I wanted. This is custom guitar for Gmaj9, hybrid D/G tuning. GBDF#AD
We are using this copendent that Bob created as a guide w 2F and 2K.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5PX2YWQTk6DGiqno8

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 3:39 pm     built

Woody Lambert wrote:
Again I have much appreciation for all of the advice regarding number of strings and E9 tuning. Also, Jimmy makes G tuned pedal steels but that is not what I wanted. This is custom guitar for Gmaj9, hybrid D/G tuning. GBDF#AD
We are using this copendent that Bob created as a guide w 2F and 2K.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5PX2YWQTk6DGiqno8
Your guitar is built and ready to ship.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 1:15 pm     Guitar done

Guitar is built.

Dave Dube

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 3:29 pm    

Jimmy it looks like your logo has evolved. That one there looks like a winner, especially on that tiger maple.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2021 3:48 pm     logo

Dave Dube wrote:
Jimmy it looks like your logo has evolved. That one there looks like a winner, especially on that tiger maple.
Yes I use the new logo on the steels now. Still like the old logo but time to change it up a little.

Woody Lambert

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 11:09 am    

I really like the contrast of the maple skirts and that mahogany top, along with a stainless wound pickup. Can’t wait to hear it!