The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paging Rick Aiello - Ric pickup diagnosis / fix needed
Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 11:02 am    

I have been trying without luck to get a hold of Rick Aiello.

I have a ‘37 Ric NS-100 with a horseshoe pickup and a weak 6th string output. Initially, I thought it might be due to pickup misadjustment, but, after optimizing the pickup height based on Rick A’s technique, the 6th string remains low in level. All other strings seem fine with plenty of output.

In physically examining the pickup, I’m able to see staggered polepieces which along with the pickup/bobbin are centered on the strings. The 6th string pole-piece is least noticeable as it’s close to flush (but perhaps this is as it should).

I’ve searched the net to try to find symptoms which match what I’m experiencing, but can’t find anything. If the horseshoes were in need of remagnetization, it would seem that the overall level of strings should be affected, though I’ve read the weakest magnetic field is at the bend of the horseshoe which is in the vicinity of the 6th string.

I am hoping that Rick or someone else on the forum may be able help me to diagnose and repair this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 11:55 am    

Before I go to trouble of disassembling the pickup, I thought I’d wait for some sage advice.

In the meantime, i have come to find a couple of potential explanations of the issue:
1) 6th string pole piece is not making good contact with the bottom of the magnet (oxidation)
2) Bass side magnet is much more degaussed (though it seems odd that this would affect only the 6th string, though it’s in the weakest part of the field).

Hoping for someone to say “been there, did this...”

M

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 6:54 am    

Have you tried changing the string?

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 7:21 am    

Thanks. I’ve seen this suggestion before, presumably also to a larger string gauge, but have ruled it out.

After I got the guitar, I put a new set of strings on it. Same issue with 6th string before/after. Not a small difference in output - 6th string comes through, but in essence I am constrained to 5-string approach.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 3:18 pm    

Maybe you could reverse the pickup hi-lo? Also possible to place a tiny magnet on the pole piece.

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 12:51 pm    

Thanks.....

Rick?

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 4:24 am    

Still hoping the mysterious Rick Aiello may reply here. Though I appreciate the suggestions thus far, before I roll up my sleeves I was hoping for the guidance of the Ric pickup expert.

If anyone knows how to best get in contact with him, please pass this along. Thanks.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 1 May 2021 4:31 am    

Pardon the obvious but did you try sending him a PM?

Martin Lindsay

Brevard, NC
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2021 5:55 am    

Yes, sent a pm.

Wondered if he was still active; saw a recent post from Rick in June concerning a fix to a noisy Ric pickup, so sent another pm to him today in hopes of fixing my problem.

While I wait to hear back from Rick, I welcome feedback from others on the forum who may have encountered this problem and an provide details on how to best diagnose and fix it.

Thanks.