The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  knee lever sticking
James Via

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 2:34 pm    

I have an Emmons push / pull The changer is sticking and not going back to neutral. Do I use springs to pull them back?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 5:20 pm     Re: knee lever sticking

James Via wrote:
I have an Emmons push / pull The changer is sticking and not going back to neutral. Do I use springs to pull them back?

That's a vague question, more info needed. What string(s) are having the problem? What is the pull, is it a raise or a lower? Does it happen every time you use it? Did the problem start suddenly after working correctly before?

Improper slack, poor lubrication or weak or under-tensioned lower return springs are common culprits, perhaps a loose bell crank that has shifted so that the rod is binding, it could be a lot of other things. The usefulness of the responses you get here usually depend on the clarity of the question asked. Some pics would help too.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 6:37 pm    

Did a string break just before the problem started?
Check the changer for the ball end of a broken string regardless. The ball end of a broken string can cause failure to return to neutral, Or not allow full pulls.
Good Luck on finding and curing the problem.

James Via

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 5:11 am    

The problem Iam having is with my knee levers that raise and lower the two E's. When I lower the E's ,the changer where the linkage connect does not move back to neutral when I release the lever. The same happens when I raise the E's. P/S What is a good cleaner to clean the changer with. I can;t remember when I cleaned the changer last. And also what is a goo0d oil to use on the changer Thank you for your help

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 5:38 am    

James Via wrote:
The problem Iam having is with my knee levers that raise and lower the two E's. When I lower the E's ,the changer where the linkage connect does not move back to neutral when I release the lever. The same happens when I raise the E's. P/S What is a good cleaner to clean the changer with. I can;t remember when I cleaned the changer last. And also what is a goo0d oil to use on the changer Thank you for your help

James,
If you haven't been lubricating your guitar at least yearly, I'd suggest removing the roller nuts and axle and cleaning and lubricating them, since the roller nuts are very important to allowing the strings the freedom to return to pitch.
Also, a few drops of lubricant where the bellcrank crossbars rotate on the front and rear apron can be very important to "strings returning to pitch".

Greg Cutshaw's website has an excellent explanation of critical lubrication points at: http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Lubricate/Lubricate.html/
Greg also offers good advice on which lubricants are best.

- Dave

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 6:52 am    

I had an Emmons that acted the same way.
The changer was sticky.
This is the product I used to loosen it up.
You can find it in sporting goods stores.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 7:42 am    

Right on Erv. That stuff is great. Make sure you put something under the steel and wipe down the nasty dripping after using. Probably best done in the garage or outside. I used it then cleaned off all the areas not associated with the changer.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 8:15 am    

Larry,
Yes, you are correct.
This product was developed to clean and loosen up shotguns. Very Happy
Erv

James Via

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2021 5:33 am    

I really want to thank everyone for their advice and . I'm sure I will have more questions in the future. Thank you