Author Topic:  Fender D6 Dating
Michael Gumpert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 9:10 pm    

Can anyone help me date my Fender D6?

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 9:51 pm    

It’s very hard to zero in on exact date. Looking at the codes on the volume pots isn’t accurate. Leo bought them in bulk so a 70s guitar could have a 50s pot in it. The black case puts it into late 60s or later, as does the logo in front. Taking up the tuner pan may reveal a date written on the wood or a piece of tape.
More info here- https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/002491.html
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 4:40 am    

If there's no date under the pans, the case might get you a bit closer:

http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html#cases
Quote:
In early 1964, Fender moved to a black tolex case with the (same) dark orange interior. This type of case was basically used till the end of the 1970's, with some minor changes (mostly the exterior logo). Early 1964 to 1965 cases have no exterior "Fender" logo.
mid to late 1965 to the 1970s use the same black case but with a Fender logo. This logo had two black plastic rivets holding the logo to the case exterior. There was no "tail" under the "Fender" logo.
About 1967: Still used the black tolex case, but now the case exterior has a plastic Fender logo with a "tail" under the "Fender".
about 1972: The logo on the black tolex case changes to have no "tail" and a small "R". Also the white piping around the leather case ends becomes more pronouced.
Mid to late 1970s: The logo on the black tolex case changed yet again. No "tail", a bigger "R" (registered) mark, and a "Made in USA" marking. Also the interior of the case got more padding.

From what I understand of the above, and what I can make out of the pic, maybe '67-'72ish? (I'm not an expert by any stretch)

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 10:16 am    

K Maul wrote:
It’s very hard to zero in on exact date. Looking at the codes on the volume pots isn’t accurate. Leo bought them in bulk so a 70s guitar could have a 50s pot in it. The black case puts it into late 60s or later, as does the logo in front. Taking up the tuner pan may reveal a date written on the wood or a piece of tape.
More info here- https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/002491.html

thats quite a stretch. i have repaired thousands of fender guitars and amps over the last 40+ years. i have NEVER seen a 20 year old NOS pot in one. one or two years at the most. fender would buy stock when they got low. 20 years worth of parts??...no way.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 10:45 am    

Bill Hatcher wrote:

thats quite a stretch. i have repaired thousands of fender guitars and amps over the last 40+ years. i have NEVER seen a 20 year old NOS pot in one. one or two years at the most. fender would buy stock when they got low. 20 years worth of parts??...no way.

Yes, 20 years is a bit of an exaggeration but the story goes that Fender bought a huge stock in 1966 that lasted about 10 years.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 12:15 pm    

Jeff Mead wrote:
Bill Hatcher wrote:

Yes, 20 years is a bit of an exaggeration but the story goes that Fender bought a huge stock in 1966 that lasted about 10 years.

I have never seen that either on fenders built in the 70s. The stock of pots purchased in 1966 was used up through only 1969.... not for 10 years. Research it if you like.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 8:24 pm    

I apologize for my exaggeration. It was made out of ignorance, but I’ve read alot about Fender pots not being reliable for determining dates of manufacture. I overstated the amount of time the parts were kept.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2021 6:36 am    

K Maul wrote:
I apologize for my exaggeration. It was made out of ignorance, but I’ve read alot about Fender pots not being reliable for determining dates of manufacture. I overstated the amount of time the parts were kept.

none needed. info and ideas shared and half way documented helps us all.

Michael Gumpert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2021 4:55 pm    

I have further info. I took the tuning pans off. No dates. I took the front control plate off. Pickups have stamp of 5162 each. Look unmolested. Blend pot stamped 015487 250k AUD 504 6612. Front 1 meg pot reads 015461 1 MEG LIN 504-6617.

Your thoughts?

Mike

Michael Gumpert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2021 5:10 pm    

Im thinking this is a 1962?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2021 7:27 pm    

Poly finish with kidney bean tuners (not hexagonal) puts it right around '69. '66 pots are correct for that guitar... I have a '68 Deluxe with the same config... the pickups have pencil dates on them.

Michael Gumpert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 12:16 pm    

So these pickups are stamped 5162. Did Fender load '62 pickups in a '69 D6?

Michael Gumpert

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 12:19 pm    

So these pickups are stamped 5162. Did Fender load '62 pickups in a '69 D6? I believe you are right on the date, especially given the case attributes.