The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copedent
Paul Buckingham

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 11:21 pm    

Hi team , as a relative new kid to e9 psg I’m struggling to understand where strings 1 and 2 with the levers fit into the scheme of things, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Bucko

James Polk

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 10:16 am    

Also a newbie here! My understanding is that these were added as a melody strings, giving you the additional notes in the scale depending on what pedals/levers you've got engaged. The place I've found to use the top one at least is in a V7 chord with B+F(I think, levers are named sometimes confusingly) and I can play the chord, release the lever, then string 1 is the next note in the scale going to the I chord.

That may not make any sense but that's my basic understanding.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 11:36 am    

Yes, they were added (according to legend by Buddy Emmons) to give extra scale notes, either singly or in thirds.

When levers came along, the D# could be lowered to D so that it was a scale note with pedals down.

Paul Buckingham

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 8:31 pm    

Thanks everyone for your valuable guidance, I now have a new set of eyes to help tame the beast that is E9 psg, cheers, Bucko

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 8:06 am    

Dear Paul - Here is one way to think about the tuning. The bottom 8 strings are in fact the "E9th tuning", and they can be played all by themselves without using strings 1 and 2. You could take them off your guitar (Don't!) and you would be surprised that you could mostly play the same music you are playing now. That's how the tuning evolved was that 8 string guitars became 10 string guitars by the addition of two extra strings on top adding new possibilities of harmonies and single note runs. The structural base of the tuning is formed by the bottom 8 strings. For example your highest open string note and your lowest open string note are already included in those 8 strings. The two extra strings operate within that range, not outside of it. That's why it's still possible to play the instrument without using the first two strings. Can't play everything of course, but you could play a lot. So in summary its the bottom 8 strings that form the underlying structure of the tuning, and the top two strings are "extras" added to make the old 8 string tuning more versatile.

Last edited by Richard Alderson on 28 Apr 2021 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 4:57 pm    

One exercise that may be valuable is to try substituting string 1 in licks that you'd normally play with the C pedal.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 2:18 am    

Some great info here and links to videos.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=306795

Paul Buckingham

Post  Posted 15 May 2021 6:10 pm     Strings 1 & 2

Richard Alderson wrote:
Dear Paul - Here is one way to think about the tuning. The bottom 8 strings are in fact the "E9th tuning", and they can be played all by themselves without using strings 1 and 2. You could take them off your guitar (Don't!) and you would be surprised that you could mostly play the same music you are playing now. That's how the tuning evolved was that 8 string guitars became 10 string guitars by the addition of two extra strings on top adding new possibilities of harmonies and single note runs. The structural base of the tuning is formed by the bottom 8 strings. For example your highest open string note and your lowest open string note are already included in those 8 strings. The two extra strings operate within that range, not outside of it. That's why it's still possible to play the instrument without using the first two strings. Can't play everything of course, but you could play a lot. So in summary its the bottom 8 strings that form the underlying structure of the tuning, and the top two strings are "extras" added to make the old 8 string tuning more versatile.

Thanks Richard