The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Emmons Parts
Jeff Brewer

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 9:02 pm    

I am new to this gig and trying to get set up as a great guy Pete Grant has suggested. He's teaching me well.
I have an Emmons Push Pull 2635D, 1979 I think.
I need the following:
4 new spare legs. I need to cut them down and don't want to mess something up without a recovery plan.
Also need a new trim pot. Or the type and resistance value of the pot, so I can just get one from Mouser.
If anyone knows where I can find these things I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You,
Jeff Brewer

Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 9:54 pm    

New trim pot? You're talking about the tone pot on the Emmons? If so I think the A500K from the Emmons schematic is this one: https://www.guitarfetish.com/Full-Sized-A500K-Volume-Pot--Super-Quality_p_274.html

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 3:51 am    

If you shorten the legs, you will also need new, shorter pedal rods. It's a good idea to save the original legs and pedal rods to include when you decide to sell the guitar.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 1:15 pm     Emmons tone pot ?

Liam: The link takes you to a VOLUME pot. I think he means a tone pot. Although, I wonder if that's a good enough pot for volume pedals. It's 500K ohms and it's very inexpensive. Thanks Tommy.....

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 7:40 am    

You can order new legs here: http://steelguitarparts.net/guitar/steel_guitar_legs_catalog.htm

They can be ordered to length, measure the length of your current legs and subtract the desired amount.

You will indeed need to shorten your pedal rods as well, this is fairly easily done with a hack saw, and a 10-32 thread die to add the same amount of threads that were cut off.

A 500k audio taper pot should work fine for the tone control, they’re available everywhere from Reverb to StewMac.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 8:26 am    

I have a bunch of spare legs...message me. They came in a case with Emmons parts so it’s possible the thread size will work

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 4:10 pm    

Emmons(and 98% of other steels) legs have a 1/2”-13 thread, pretty easy to check with a 10 cent nut from any hardware store.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 5:21 pm    

Kelcey ONeil wrote:
Emmons(and 98% of other steels) legs have a 1/2”-13 thread, pretty easy to check with a 10 cent nut from any hardware store.

It is not like you are trying to determine if the threads are 3-48 or 4-48, you don't need a trip to the hardware store or have a machinist's thread gauge. A ruler or tape measure will be enough. Diameter likely to be 1/2 inch and you will have 6 1/2 threads in a half inch of length, which means 13 threads over an inch.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 6:54 pm     Re: Need Emmons Tone Control potentiometer

Jeff Brewer wrote:
I have an Emmons Push Pull 2635D, 1979 I think.
I need the following:
Also need a new trim pot. Or the type and resistance value of the pot, so I can just get one from Mouser.
If anyone knows where I can find these things I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You,
Jeff Brewer

Jeff,
Here are the specs for the Emmons tone control potentiometer from the 1973 Emmons catalog: "Tone control potentiometer, 0.5 meg ohms (500K ohms); 1/2 watt".
It is an audio taper. The shaft is a 1/4” diameter round shaft that is 1/2” long.

I believe that Emmons used a Fender guitar tone control potentiometer that fits those specs, and is still available.

I just ordered one a few days ago, and expect it by end of this week. I'm not sure if the shaft length is correct.
If it is a match, I'll post where I got it.

-Dave

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 10:02 pm    

I don’t mean to be a wise guy but have to ask why you need to cut down the legs. Could a higher seat fix that problem?
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 8:53 pm     Re: Emmons Tone Control potentiometer--a Fender replacement

Dave Magram wrote:

Here are the specs for the Emmons tone control potentiometer from the 1973 Emmons catalog: "Tone control potentiometer, 0.5 meg ohms (500K ohms); 1/2 watt".
It is an audio taper. The shaft is a 1/4” diameter round shaft that is 1/2” long.
I believe that Emmons used a Fender guitar tone control potentiometer that fits those specs, and is still available.
-Dave

I just installed the Fender tone control pot today and it works great! It looks just like the old pot on my Emmons--except the new one has a shaft made of brass.

Here's the label...

I ordered it from https://www.angela.com/fender500ksolidshaftpot0990835000.aspx
"Fender 500K Solid Shaft Audio Taper Pot 0990835000"
Price: $6.99
Item Number: 0990835000
Manufacturer: Fender
Manufacturer Part No: 0990835000 UPC 717669511890

The shaft is 3/8" long, slightly shorter than the original with a 1/2" length shaft. However the set screw in the plastic knob is just 1/8" from the bottom of the knob, so it fits perfectly.

There are wiring diagrams at: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=338927&sid=dca41d478c101769ba63d3439b4a03bc

-Dave