The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First Pedal Steel: Carter Starter VS GFI Student
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 2:09 am    

To avoid any possible misunderstanding, I edited my earlier comment to change the phrase "knock on" to "criticism of", and deleted the off-topic replies which undoubtedly would stifle any potential further discussion on this topic.

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 5:29 am     carter starter

This guy seems to be learning quickly using the Carter Starter. lots of natural talent. Smile
https://youtu.be/gT1TvjnlYHM

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 6:04 am     th

Lloyd Green only had a 2 raise, 1 lower guitar without splits on virtually all the classics he recorded. Seems a lot can be done with what a Justice S-10 Jr offers. I have one(as well as an EXCEL and Bud Permanent) and can report that it’s materials, design and workmanship are as solid as any other Pro pedal steel.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dave Dube

Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 8:01 am    

Joe

That's Terry Crisp playing Green Green Grass of Home.

I agree he shows that technique/skill is more important than the axe. I have seen similar videos of players on a 3x1 Red Baron, maverick, and Sidekick. They didn't miss splits or even half the changes and sounded fantastic.

So the bottom line is: Learn to play what you have as well as is possible and enjoy. Donny Hinson, can I get an Amen?

Joseph Lichnovsky

Magnolia Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 11:04 am    

So....What IS the best wat to tune a steel guitar

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 8:30 am    

Jason

As there are limitations to all starter type models....

Having demonstrated both of these starter instruments I honestly think the Carter was a bit better overall. The gfi is not bad, by any means. But overall the Carter to me had a better sound and stayed in tune very well. The gfi stayed in tune well but I didn’t care for the undercarriage so much. Also, I’m basing this on guitars built in the late 90s. Both products were meant to be guitars to introduce a person to pedal steel without the big dollar investment.

I might the Carter should take you a long way. It’s a decent instrument for the money.

Jason Boucouras

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 11:08 am    

Update here: got the Carter in the mail today! I started learning right away, and am having a great time. Worked through basic grips and inversions for a couple hours, and really enjoyed it. Only problem: I am having some serious wrist and forearm pain in my left hand using the tonebar. I tried backing off the pressure as much as I could without getting rattle on the strings, but that didn't seem to help. I'm sure something is wrong with my technique, any tips on how to combat this? Using a Dunlop 920 Stianless Steel tonebar, 7.5 oz, 7/8"x3 1/4".

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 11:34 am    

Take it a little slower. You have to build up your muscles in your hand and forearm to control the tone bar. You’re probably gripping it too tight which many people do when they first start so relaxing is also part of the technique. That is something that comes with time.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jason Boucouras

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 11:41 am    

K Maul wrote:
Take it a little slower. You have to build up your muscles in your hand and forearm to control the tone bar. You’re probably gripping it too tight which many people do when they first start so relaxing is also part of the technique. That is something that comes with time.

Will do. Playing for hours as soon as I got it was probably a little ambitious. Going to rest my wrist the rest of the day and take another try at it tomorrow, for shorter durations with breaks mixed in.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 9:14 am    

If you have never played with a bar before, its going to feel weird. Or if you are used to lighter bars the regular pedal steel bar feels heavy at first. I remember starting with dobro bars in my teens. Many years later for pedal steel, starting for me in 2001, it seemed like a funny thing to hold a larger bar with no grips after using dobro bars 15 years or more, but now the pedal steel bar seems normal and the dobro bar is a small tinny sounding piece of crap that's so light it will blow away in the wind.