The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuner offsets
George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 9:32 pm    

Hey guys...This question is for any Rittenberry owners out there...What tuning offsets are you using? I have been using the EM9-EP9 on the Peterson strobe tuner but I have to do some tweeking to really get the beats out and that is next to impossible at gigs where there is a pre-show (Sarcasm) before the show.

Thanks George

Andy Zahnd

Switzerland
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 1:11 am    

Rittenberry are different! You can't get in tune with the regular Peterson setups.... you may ask Joe Rogers from Louisiana, he's the man who showed me how to tune the Ritty! He may have now even a better programm made....

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 4:15 am    

I am curious. Why is a Rittenberry tuned any different that any other brand?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 6:55 am    

Dale McPherson wrote:
I am curious. Why is a Rittenberry tuned any different that any other brand?

I agree 100%. Its the individual's ear and what they perceive as being in tune. There are hundreds of forum posts on tuning and it can be discussed forever.

I played an early model Rittenberry at a jam. It was tuned to the Newman tuning and it sounded and played in tune.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 8:36 am    

I have owned 2 Rittenbrry Sd-10s, right now, I own 1 Rittenberry. Since 2010, when I got Rittenberry 1, I have owned about 10 other steel guitars, several of which I still have. I have never noticed any difference in the method needed to tune any of them. I basically use the Newman settings, except with the E's at 442 and the F lever raises at 438. The other guitars included; Emmons, Carter, GFI, Derby, Desert Rose, Fessenden, Justice. They all sounded in tune to me.

George Frachiseur

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 1:43 pm     Offsets

The Rittenberry has very little cabinet drop so some of the old sweetened tunings that are used on guitars that have more cabinet drop has to be modified....I want to load the sweetened tuning that works best for my ritt onto my peterson tuner so I don't have to try to tune with all the other instrument racket on stage...BTW there is nothing quite like a Rittenberry Prestige! Its awesome!

Thanks for the replies

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 2:08 am    

My GFI Ultra D-10 has very little cabinet drop. The Newman sweetened tunings (E's at 442.5 hz) work perfect on it.