The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9 tab for choo choo cha boogie?
Johnny Pal

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 9:53 pm    

Nwbie here. Anyone happen have an E9 tab for Choo Choo Cha Boogie and maybe the YouTube video they may have tabbed from so I can follow? I can cop most of the single note stuff but its very difficult to comp the chord rifts, especially those with a 7th or 9th type of tension and whether they are F/A inversions, 7th string pulls, what fret position, etc.

I was watching Jeff Newman (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EiqHdlayFM) and Bill Ferguson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFgIN8vhYfE) and get all screwed up trying to identify the pedals to get the right inversions, fret positions etc. My chords sound far too vanilla.
Thanks!, Johnny Pal

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 6:11 am    

I just played along with it several times, Jeff is playing it in the Key of F.
Jeff is playing it on a Universal, so you can mimic much of his approach on S10 E9th by lowering your E's at Fret-6 for the F6th on strings-10-8-7-6-5-4-1.
Jeff actually starts the song 12 frets up with the opening lick.
Adding the B pedal changes the F6th to an F7th.
Releasing the E's and hitting string-9 with your thumb (skip string-8 ) gives you the Bb7th chord (a standard E9th shape), and then it's two frets up to the C7th chord.
When it goes to the Chorus, go up 3 frets with the F-lever and pick strings 5-6-8, 9F=Bb7.
He does some lower note stuff on the first verse that you can do an octave higher on the same fret. You might not have the lowest note he uses.
It's a super fun song that is totally doable on S10 E9th.
If you are anywhere near San Diego I will be there May 13-15 and could show you some 6th on 9th stuff.

Johnny Pal

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 12:31 pm     E9 Tab for Cho Choo Cha Boogie

Aloha and thank you Pete for that very comprehensive analysis! That is an outstanding step by step, section by section breakdown complete with recommended solutions. I couldn't ask for a more thorough review.

I'd luv to take you up on your generous offer to spoon-feed some PSG material, lord knows I need it. But unfortunately I'm 175 miles from San Diego! Used to gig down there when I lived in Torrance, CA but I moved even further away to Ventura County. Thanks again!!!!

p.s. If you enjoy Hawaiian here's a number called Hana with an arrangement I borrowed 80% of from a true Hawaiian Master Lap Steeler, Uncle Duke Kaleiolani Ching (B11 on top, C6 on the bottom). Mahalo again!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSyjMetBR3k