The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty Young RIP
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 10:13 am    

What a loss, he was so influential on many of us.

RIP, Rusty

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 10:14 am    

Very sad news. I saw Rusty play just about 3 years ago and he was terrific. RIP to a Country Rock legend. Think I'll listen to Indian Summer.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 10:54 am    

This is very sad news to hear! R.I.P. Rusty - too young to have passed. As was mentioned, Rusty was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2013.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 10:55 am    

This is sad. He was still young. No pun intended. I know he did inspire so many of us who maybe would have never caught the steel bug had it not been for his creative country rock style. RIP Rusty.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 12:32 pm    

very sad news indeed.
Rusty was so much more than a fantastic steel player... he could play anything and even front the band if need be. he was the one constant in Poco's sound for over 50 years. what a professional, what a musician, and yes what a steel player. his tone and phrasing still excites me to this day.

thanks for everything Rusty Young.

Eric Reeves

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 2:25 pm    

Man! That's an amazing picture!

Paul Vassallo

Long Island New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 3:35 pm     Rusty Young

This is a post from my first Cuz’s David Vanacore who played Keyboard for Poco. He knew Rusty personally.

Wow I’m shocked and saddened by rustys passing.
When I was a 25 year old musician I auditioned for a band with a new album release.
I got the gig and that was the start of my touring career.
That band was Poco.
And what a band it was. I was young and naive keyboard player and really had no idea the legends I was about to tour with for 2 years. Rusty young ,Jimmy Messina ,Randy meisner ,Richie furrier ,George granham,Jack Sundrud.
They all truly were amazing musicians and incredible individuals.
They accepted this kid as an equal as I watched fans waiting in line to get a autograph or a glimpse of these giants of country rock.
We toured with the likes of Jackson Brown ,Dave mason and many many others and the respect they got from their piers was unmatched.
Thank you Rusty and the guys for letting me into your band for an experience that would shape my life for years to come. You showed me how to be a pro to have compassion and respect and integrity for everyone you came in contact with.
You even let me leave for a few gigs to get married
And bring my wife on the bus and to Hawaii for our honeymoon.

These were Great times in my life and the beginning of my career.
I’ll will remember those ripping searing pedal steel solos through your distortion and pedal board as you tore that thing up. Most nights it would Smoke !!
I would listen to your solos nightly as they were always brilliant and would always give me inspiration to play differently and boldly every night. You brought it and you always left it out there on the stage for all your fans to see and hear.
Your voice your steel playing are a tapestry inside me forever. I can hear it in my head still right now.
You have left a Legacy !! You will be missed by millions and the very few of us that were very blessed musicians that we were all lucky enough to share the stage with you.
Thank you, Rusty Young..

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rusty-young-poco-dead-obit-1156578/

Last edited by Paul Vassallo on 16 Apr 2021 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 3:37 pm    

One of the most talented, most inspiring and most gracious musician I ever met.
The real deal.
Bob T.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 8:14 pm    

You guys have said it all. I’m without words. First saw Poco at the Fillmore West the last night Jimmy played with them. Rusty with his steel up on end at the edge of the stage for the climax....

I’m sad, but praying for his family and those who were close to our hero.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 1:17 am    

Reflecting back to the Poco era, Rusty may very well be responsible for influencing more players to the Steel Guitar world than any other player. Many of us came into Pedal Steel and Country music thru the back door, not the front door. I am clearly one of them.

My path, along with countless others, was Buffalo Springfield > Kind Woman > Rusty Young > Poco

If you haven't listened to this track, Kind Woman,in a few years, give it a listen to hear how good Rusty was way back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQUOGpzAVVo

I bought this LP because of RUSTY. This LP opened my horizons. I still have it. And I'm still living in the past . The bad news is my Fringe Jackets don't fit anymore.

Thx Rusty, you planted more seeds than you can ever know.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 5:41 am    

Sorry to hear this sad news! I have been listening to his music for years. I never knew him but appreciated his musical talent and work. He was a real Pioneer and helped bring the Steel Guitar into a whole new genre of music. My son Zane and I were there at Scotty's 2013 Steel Convention when Rusty was inducted into "The Steel Guitar Hall of Fame." A honor Rusty truly deserved. We send our Prayers for his Family and many Friends! RIP Rusty!

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 6:57 am    

Rusty came in to my music store in Sullivan Mo 2 or 3 times always had a good conversation about Steel Guitar, but I 1st met Rusty at Scotty's show back a few years ago. He will be missed.

Richard McDonald

USA.
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 8:24 am    

🙏’s up.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 12:19 pm    

I’m having a tough time with this sudden loss of Rusty. Very sad for Mary and their children. Big loss and really hitting home that the hourglass of time for many of us is running pretty low. RIP Rusty. Here’s a vey heartfelt piece from band mate Tom Hampton:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2021/music/news/rusty-young-poco-appreciation-died-tribute-1234953138/amp/

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 1:25 pm    

Scott Murray - Killer photo! That sums it up in a very cool way.

I knew the New York Times would write an obit on Rusty Young:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/17/arts/music/rusty-young-dead.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Obituaries

Fans of Rusty and California Country Rock will be gratified to know the Country Music Hall of Fame's next major exhibit is on Country Rock in California and features Poco. Richie, and many others, have been interviewed on film and artifacts gathered. An exhibit catalog will be published and more. I will keep everybody updated.

Last edited by robert kramer on 17 Apr 2021 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 5:43 am    

Thanks John for the link, great heartfelt tribute, I wanted to post this video of the reformed Poco as a reminder of what a great singer Rusty was as well.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+poco+call+it+love&view=detail&mid=B2E3AAE14C6E7AB64D9DB2E3AAE14C6E7AB64D9D&FORM=VIRE0&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dyoutube%2bpoco%2bcall%2bit%2blove%26form%3dCHRDEF%26sp%3d-1%26pq%3dyoutube%2bpoco%2bcall%2bit%2blove%26sc%3d1-25%26qs%3dn%26sk%3d%26cvid%3dE05DDDC39C334174A5B1EBA22A6E785D

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 7:10 am    

I too count myself among those who might not even be playing at all if not for Rusty's early influence, and his friendliness and patience with fans was off the charts. I bought the first Poco album in 1969 and fell in love with his playing. Washington was one of their big cities in the band's early days when they were kind of struggling; I got to see them play maybe four times in about 18 months with Jim Messina still in the band. At one college concert in late 1970 (I was 15) I stuck around after and went up on stage while Rusty was packing up (no guitar techs then!) and he was so open and friendly. I saw the underside of a pedal-steel for the first time and he explained it all, and I distinctly remember him saying that he'd really kind of rather be playing "real" country music but felt that he was in a unique position to get the instrument exposed to a different generation and audience (he was right, and he did!).

Years later when he moved to Nashville we became friends and I owe him for one of the best gigs I ever had; sometime around 2003 (?) he called to tell me he'd just been offered the upcoming Dixie Chicks arena tour and had turned it down. He said he thought I'd be perfect for them and I should get in touch with their management, and that he had recommended me. I did, and while Robbie Turner ended up doing that tour they called me for the next world tour in 2006, which was an amazing experience. There were plenty of others Rusty could have done that for, and I'll never forget his generous spirit.

So I agree with all the above posts; a one-of-a-kind musician and a truly wonderful human being has gone too soon. It leaves a big hole for sure; a very sad time.

Dirk Edwards

Homedale ,Idaho USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 6:26 pm    

Wow!! He was such a great dobro player too!!
A real inspiration to me!!

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 6:53 pm    

I am so saddened by Rusty’s passing, as all of us are.
I loved and respected Rusty’s playing from the first time I heard him play.
It was such an honor to be inducted to the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame the same day as Rusty. Neither one of us could believe it. He was so humble and kind. We really enjoyed each other’s company and fellowship that day. I ordered a Poco ball cap from Rusty soon as I got home. He sent me two! Rest In Peace compadre. Your legacy lives on!

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2021 8:47 pm    

Above, you saw my photo of Rusty with his HOF Plaque. Here is Tommy White with his HOF plaque, the same year, 2013.

Following are those members who were present who have been inducted into the HOF, taken in 2013. You can see Rusty standing just behind Tommy.

Dirk Edwards

Homedale ,Idaho USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2021 9:13 am    

tasty stuff from Rusty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1nN6fpARc

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 4:25 am    

Dirk, do you know if that was from an album or just a single of some sort? Smile , I really liked it

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Dirk Edwards

Homedale ,Idaho USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 7:04 am    

I wish I knew too??
Just stumbled on it. Surprised

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2021 7:27 am    

It’s from the Suite Steel album.
https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Album/dp/B07BF7BP91

Dirk Edwards