The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Synchronizing Raise/Lower on a newer Excel Superb D10
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 9:05 am    

Hi: I know there are experts out there. I love my Excel, and maybe I'm splitting hairs. On both my Excel and on my Franklin, RKR raises 2 (D#) a whole (to C#) and drops 9 (D) a half. I have feel stop halfway so when I start to push the lever, 9 stays the same while 2 drops to become unison with 9 (D) then I hit a feel stop. When I continue to push past the feel stop, 2 and 9 drop together to become unison at C#.
My Franklin has an independent tunable half-stop on the lever so its easy to time the pulls so 9 stays the same when 2 drops to D and even slightly lower, I first tune the final unison at C#, then I tune my independent half-stop for a D on 2.
The Excel on the other hand lowers 2 right away and uses the start of the pull of string 9, (and to a lesser degree, the raise of string 4 on the C6 neck) as the feel stop.
It's close enough now for me to get by, but when I drop 2 to D, it is sharp (+30 cents) at the feel stop, and If I keep going of course 9 starts to drop too. When they are both dropping, 2 stays sharper than 9 all the way down, until they both finally converge at the C#. I only have fixed positions in the bellcranks (who doesn't?), so I wouldn't be able to continuously tweak the relative pull rates. I could maybe try a different string gauge on 2? Any suggestions?

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 12:05 pm    

Ha: I was messing with it, and by moving the bellcrank pull rod one notch closer to the axle on string 2 (then retuning the string 2 whole step drop to that C#), it turns out that the half-stop lands dead-on the D. That was just lucky.