The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vince Gill leaving the Time Jumpers
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2020 9:10 am    

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/vince-gill-is-leaving-the-time-jumpers/

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2020 3:59 pm    

Yeah, I saw that news on their FB feed. To be honest, I'm not sure it's a big loss musically. Vince is a great musician, but the TJ's had their own style and vibe that is different from Vince's. I'm sure it helped the band gain fans, but I will always miss Dawn Sear's contribution to the band far more than Vince's.

Wendy Moten is listed in the article as a member of the band. Her joining was announced just over a year ago, and I am looking forward to her having a bigger role in the future - love her voice!

A Time Jumper fan, but too far away to see them live.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 10:43 am    

Wonder why? Maybe he is just tired of fighting the nashville traffic or maybe he is too worried about coronavirus with them starting up again, I would. Would be interesting to know!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2020 8:12 am    

Great read, the most wonderful set of musicians and human being's on the planet. I hope this band never dis-bands and will continue for many more decades, sure artist's come and go, life commitments, work, other avenue's etc it's all part of it, sure going to miss Vince's velvet voice and those smoking guitar chops, Vince is killer at everything he does... it's on my bucket list to take a trip down to TN to see these awsome players when they get going again.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2020 9:14 am    

Quote:
Over their tenure, The Time Jumpers have seen many other members come and go, and have lost numerous members to death, including Dawn Sears, fiddle player Hoot Hester, and drummer Rick Vanaugh.

ummmm..... John Hughey

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 6:11 pm    

Vince is a great player and singer and will be missed for sure. But the band has to evolve as they have in the past. It adds color and variety to their respective performances. It keeps things fresh. And Vince will find new areas to explore with his many talents. He has an awesome studio at his home. Perhaps that's his focus for now.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2020 7:31 pm    

Last week Stuie French filled in for Andy Reiss who was sick. Stuie is an unbelievable guitar player who moved his very talented family from Australia last year. He mentioned on his Facebook page that Vince Gill apparently had to step down because of his commitments with the Eagles.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 7:17 am     Vince leaving

Does this imply Paul & Billy aren’t far behind?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 12:03 am    

While I am a big Vince fan as well as a Time Jumpers fan, I think its a mistake to make too much of this. Vince is a seasoned pro with his OWN career. While he can indeed be a sideman, he is a premier front man . The Time Jumpers have had multiple personnel changes, all for the good , they are a complete unit, not driven by any single person. Vince is a busy guy, at some point, as we get a tad older, we gotta find some time to be less busy ! I've been very fortunate to have visited the Time Jumpers shows multiple times over the last many many years at the Station Inn, the first time was when John H was with the group as well as Carolyn Martin singing alongside Dawn Sears. The evolution was incredible. Wishing Vince good luck but he probably doesn't need it as he soars around with the Eagles.

A nice memory here, when we first went to see the TJ's at the Station Inn way back, John Hughey saw me and came over and said " Hey Tom how are you " ! I didn't correct him I just said Hey John great to see you ! He remembered my from St Louis. I told my wife, from here on out just call me Tom ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 1:03 am     Time Jumpers

Yes I agree, while it would be a change it’s always been a good one.. similar to the years of Asleep at the Wheel. The possibilities are diminishing though in terms of substitution musicians.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 5:19 pm    

Joey Ace wrote:
Quote:
Over their tenure, The Time Jumpers have seen many other members come and go, and have lost numerous members to death, including Dawn Sears, fiddle player Hoot Hester, and drummer Rick Vanaugh.

ummmm..... John Hughey

And let’s not forget the steel seat was originally occupied by the incomparable Johnny Cox!

Nic Sanford

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2021 4:31 am    

Oh dang, Craig Stock. Thanks for keeping people up on the news.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2021 4:51 am    

Nic, I'm surprised he stayed that long, he is one busy man.

I was lucky to see both Vince and Paul with Jumpers at City Winery in NYC a few years back, what a treat.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2021 1:00 am    

I should have added, one of the last times we were able to see the TJ's at the Station Inn when Vince was there , some folks sitting next to us commented that they didn't let Vince do enough songs. My wife commented , nicely, that this is NOT a Vince show , he's part of the band. They still replied back that if Vince is playing you need to let him run the show. Then I commented, nicely, "If you came to see Vince and expected to hear him play his songs all night , you came to the wrong place".

This is a danger when you add a Main Stream Artist to the lineup , even if its only temporary.

As much as I am a big fan of Vince, I would pay big bucks to see his show but I don't want to pay big bucks to hear Vince sing Eagles songs with the Eagles ! IF that makes any sense.

By the way we did pay big bucks to see the Eagles a few months before Glen passed.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Alan Rudd

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 11:53 am    

I have seen the TJer's without Vince, when Dawn was alive and saw them with Vince, both trememdous shows. I am sure Vince is pretty busy with his own shows and he is also working with the Eagles...only so many projects one guy can keep up with.