The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Replacement Keystone Tuners for P/P
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 1:59 pm    

Does anyone know where I can find this tuner with metal buttons? The Gotoh seems like a perfect drop-in replacement but the plastic buttons are not my first choice. I've seen a few possibilities but I was kind of spooked by some post hole specs. The StewMac specs for the Gotoh seem dead on perfect.
I need two six packs so I can't be throwing money at a possibly wrong item.

As a plan B/C/D, does anyone have experience pulling the plastic keystones and replacing them with metal ones? I won't even consider it unless it can be done with zero risk of destroying a whole tuner or two.

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 3:16 pm    

Big $$$, but here are a couple of alternatives:

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Head-Kluson-Keystone-Buttons/dp/B00ZYU6QPE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KD-3-NMDR-KLUSON-TRADITIONAL-3-3-METAL-KEYSTONE-BTN-DBL-LINE-NICKEL/114142489235?hash=item1a936c2a93:g:BysAAOSwK6RZMeZ9

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 3:26 pm    

Thanks. Yeah -- I found both of those.
I guess the question is, has anybody used these and can confirm their fit in a p/p? The beauty of StewMac is their great technical drawings. Plus I've read here that the Gotoh is a perfect drop-in.
I'm needing either a good seller giving me good tech info or someone's experience with the exact product before I can lay out $100+.

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 6:42 pm    

I’ve used these ones with no problems at all, they are the same with the exception of the knob. These were the style used on the classic Emmons of the 60s, so it’s not really unbecoming to use them I wouldn’t think.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/solid-peghead-guitar-tuning-machines/gotoh-vintage-style-oval-knob-3and3-tuners.html

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 7:43 pm    

Hi Jon -

I just sent you an email

I have spare original Kluson Keystone tuners - just like what you're looking for

Look for the email and get back to me

Thanks -
Ron

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 9:33 pm    

Ron -- I replied to your email. As I said there, if it were only a couple, this would be great. But after replacing a couple that are pretty hurting, I'd still have more that could use upgrading so I'm in it for a full 12 and new machines will be really nice. Thank you!

Kelcey -- thanks for that. I was considering those and the more I think of it, the better I like the idea. I feel that the plastic ivoroid look might be perfect on some guitars....especially a nice lacquer body with inlays and all....but on this black and chrome guitar, it's not doing it for me. You can't go wrong with simple chrome butterbeans.

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 3:03 pm    

Kluson doesn't give a lot of dimensional data for their products, but they do spec a .250" diameter post 1" tall, and .781" to the string through-hole. Those dimensions sound compatible with the Gotohs.

The relative positions of the post and the screw holes have been standard for so many years on vintage-style replacement tuners that I would be very surprised if the metal button keystone Klusons didn't fit. And if they didn't, you could always return them.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 3:13 pm    

If you haven’t tried already, you should get a hold of Billy Knowles. He’d be my first call for anything like that. He’s a member here or you can find his website online, steel guitar east.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 3:21 pm    

Ah....somehow I missed that data of the .250" shaft on the Kluson. That might have given me the confidence. I do agree with your thinking, in general.
But I got turned by Kelcey's post. The PP that I sold a number of years ago has the small buttons and it suits me as a proper look for a guitar like this so I went ahead and ordered the Gotoh butterbeans. The Stew Mac price is pretty great too.
If I should end up second guessing myself, between a kind offer from Ron, above, to replace my bad tuners (or maybe all of them) and your logic about new Klusons, I have options.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 3:24 pm    

Forrest -- you are right. I didn't do as much research into resources as I could have. But one thing I've been leaning toward is new parts. It seems like not as much of an improvement as I'd like, replacing old, worn tuners with old....not yet as worn tuners. These old ones are pretty hurting and the idea of fitting this guitar with brand new smooth operating machines is exciting.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 5:00 am    

Jon,

In many cases, Billy will have new or new old stock items. I don’t know if that is the case here, but I did get a full set of tuners for my bolt on from him and they were used. If anyone had new ones, I’d wager it’d be him.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 5:20 am    

Thanks Forrest. I appreciate your giving this thought and it's a good reminder that there are people in our community who should be at the top of my go-to list. PP parts are sort of new thing for me. I've got a big order coming from Michael Yahl -- he IS at the top of my go-to list (and he's got some PP stuff in stock....I'm rooting for him to get the other stuff back up & running).

As it stands, I ordered from StewMac yesterday, I've got the shipping # and I'm good for now. When I get a bug in me, patience is not my strong point.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 5:45 am    

Outstanding! That you’re fixed up is all that matters. I may well have overlooked that fact in a previous post.

Push Pull guitars are something of an addiction, but you probably already know this! Lol

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 6:14 am    

forrest klott wrote:

Push Pull guitars are something of an addiction, but you probably already know this! Lol

Yikes. Tell me about it. My first one, some years ago, needed some setup changes and I tackled the job and succeeded well enough to feel like "I can do this".
I sold it to someone who loved the guitar even more than I did.
I just got back in the PP game and I can't get over how much I am learning and how I can keep finding ways to tweak it just a little more right (as I learn more).

Tragically, I think I may need an S-12 to go with my ST-12. But that's a secret.

William Gallagher

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 9:10 am    

Try ol' Billy Knowles at Steel Guitar East. I just bought some Kluson replacements for my '75 Emmons:

http://steelguitareast.com/

billyk1144@gmail.com

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 8:27 am    

I have a set of 10 original tombstones (1977). dirty but ex cond. $125 shipped conus.
widcj@hotmail.com

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 10:58 am    

Hey John. Thanks! But I already bought 4 used keys, should get here Monday. That should take care of my needs. This is after buying 2 sixpacks of new small button Gotohs.....then someone saw my keystones and said 'those look cool!' And he's right.
And if I were thinking about a whole set, it's a 12 string so....
Thanks, though.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 11:01 am     Kestone

I have enough for a twelve if you go that route.

Best,

JW
widcj@hotmail.com