The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Black box
Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 3:52 pm    

Was curious has anyone put a Sarno black box in front of a Quilter steelaire amp? If so what was your outcome?

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 6:40 pm     Re: Black box

Chris Robbins wrote:
Was curious has anyone put a Sarno black box in front of a Quilter steelaire amp? If so what was your outcome?

Chris, I've got one in front of my Quilter 202 Combo... Its the first thing my guitar see's and it "LIKES" it. Wink Smile Very Happy
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 5:44 am    

I used a "black box" coming direct from the pickup, then to my volume pedal, then into my Quilter Steelaire.

I since replaced the black box with a "Free Loader" because the "Free Loader" attaches to the guitar leg and has an easy to reach dial.

If you have an "active" volume pedal, that has a tone control, you don't need an additional "pre-amp" type attachment (black box/free loader) in front of Quilter.

Patrick McHenry

PNW
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 7:26 am    

Tried both and the freeloader was way easier for me to dial in, it has hence become sort of like a volume pedal for me, I turn it up when it’s my turn to solo

Email: patrickwmchenry@gmail.com

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 5:05 am     Black Box

Patrick, can you elaborate on your statement about using your Freeloader sort of like a volume pedal and turning it up when it's your time to solo? The Free loader does not change the volume, only the tone. When I recently acquired a used 74 Emmons pp with single coil pickups,the Freeloader was acting like a volume control instead of a tone control. I have two Freeloaders and had used them in my Zum, so I knew they weren't supposed to change the volume. The problem was a bad pickup. I got Scott Schwartz to check it out and rewind it. Solved the problem and the pickup sounds much better. When you said you turn it up when you solo, maybe you are talking about boosting the highs to cut through the mix. I am just confused and thought you may also have a bad pickup and are unaware of it.

Patrick McHenry

PNW
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 10:18 pm    

Nah I just crank it up to ten when I want to be heard over everyone and dial it down when we go back to the verse.... kind of like a volume knob but not cuz it changes your eq only

Patrick McHenry

PNW
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 10:21 pm    

Nah I just crank it up to ten when I want to be heard over everyone and dial it down when we go back to the verse.... kind of like a volume knob but not cuz it changes your eq only

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 7:30 pm    

Hi Chris -

I use a Black Box in front of my Quilter Amp when I record. I sometimes take with on other gigs. It does make a difference in the tone. I love mine!

Steel (BL705 pu) > Black Box > Telonics Vol Pedal > Quilter Amp

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 7:17 am     Re: Black Box

George Kimery wrote:
Patrick, can you elaborate on your statement about using your Freeloader sort of like a volume pedal and turning it up when it's your time to solo? The Free loader does not change the volume, only the tone. When I recently acquired a used 74 Emmons pp with single coil pickups,the Freeloader was acting like a volume control instead of a tone control. I have two Freeloaders and had used them in my Zum, so I knew they weren't supposed to change the volume. The problem was a bad pickup. I got Scott Schwartz to check it out and rewind it. Solved the problem and the pickup sounds much better. When you said you turn it up when you solo, maybe you are talking about boosting the highs to cut through the mix. I am just confused and thought you may also have a bad pickup and are unaware of it.

George,
he means adjusting the gain knob on the
freeloader...boosts or cuts your decible level
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 8:23 am     Black Box

I have two Freeloaders and would'nt be without them. One is the early model with only an output jack and the other one is the newer model with the addition of a tuner out jack. Neither one has a gain knob, only one knob that controls the tone. Is there a 3rd model that has a gain control as well as a tone control? When you solo and turn it full open, it would boost the treble which would cut through the mix better. Maybe that is what Patrick is talking about.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2021 9:08 am     Re: Black Box

George Kimery wrote:
I have two Freeloaders and would'nt be without them. One is the early model with only an output jack and the other one is the newer model with the addition of a tuner out jack. Neither one has a gain knob, only one knob that controls the tone. Is there a 3rd model that has a gain control as well as a tone control? When you solo and turn it full open, it would boost the treble which would cut through the mix better. Maybe that is what Patrick is talking about.

George
I guess I was mistaken then. I assumed that knob was gain. Guess I was thinking of the newer Hilton digital sustain boxes. They have one knob for gain now as opposed to the older ones have one for tone and one for gain.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Dustin Elmore

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 10 May 2021 11:14 am    

I love mine.. AND.. the Black Box is on sale!! check out the website and get a BRAND NEW unit for close to used prices.