The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nux Atlantic reverb/delay
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2021 4:57 pm    

Just looking for opinions on this reverb/ delay pedal. Anyone tried one?

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 4:17 am    

I have one and it is awesome. So versatile. Easy to use.

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 12:07 pm     Reverb

Thanks Dale.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2021 11:10 pm    

I also own one, its the BOMB ! Very Happy Should've had one when they first came on the scene. A single footprint, double duty Reverb/Delay Pedal, which sounds great, whats not to love !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2021 8:54 am    

I'm another happy user. I've been using the Boss RV-3 with the Lloyd Green settings for a longtime. Switched to the NuX Atlantic by recommendation of Mike Sweeney, Now I'm considering selling my RV-3's. Haha... It's very Versatile and of great quality for the price. You can't go wrong.

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2021 4:56 pm     Nux Atlantic

Thanks guys, Mike Sweeny sent me a video of the
NA and I really liked the sound he got with it.
So I ordered one. Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2021 4:40 am    

I just got one of these (before I saw this thread). I think my Quilter TB202 amp is great but the reverb sucks. The reverb and delay in one unit is what I wanted.

This is what the RV3 should have been. I tried 3 different RV3's and wasn't impressed.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2021 5:15 am    

I find the Quilter 202 reverb MUCH better than the one in my MicroPro Mach 2 but still not as good as a good outboard unit (not to mention I'm hooked on having a reverb/delay in one box).

I've been using the Keeley Caverns. I think I like the sound of the Nux demos a little better but there's one unfortunate thing -- I have little use for "shimmer" but I play with one artist with whom I made the mistake of hitting shimmer at the very end of one song. ONE SONG. She loves it and won't be happy without it. The Nux appears to need you to hold down the button for shimmer which just won't work for me. The Keeley has a switched setting.

It's a lousy reason for not getting the Nux but here I am.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 8:43 am    

Anyone care to post their delay and reverb settings?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 1:48 am    

Jack, here are some pix.

I did notice something this weekend which caught me by surprise, I put the NUX in my small Pedal case,( 3) the Peds would not fire up , no sound , I was really baffled, I kept changing cords, each pedal worked but not together, finally for some odd reason they did work. I thought it was a cord.

NOPE... I checked it all the next day at home, the 9V PS I used was a 100 MA supply, not powerful enough to drive 3 peds. All of my other 9V supplies are either 1A or 500 MA, no issues.

I actually had another 9V/500 MA supply with me but never thought it was the supply. While there are no specs on the NU-X I suspect it draws more than many other PEDs . Just be aware. Not all 9V DC supplies are equal !

I believe my delay setting is right around 275-300 MS , single repeat. The Reverb is set for Spring. The pad switches are set for -10DB and parallel

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 1:59 am    

Thanks, Tony. I'll give them a try.

I've got a 1 Amp Hot Spot power supply I'm using. I noticed there are no published power spec's for the unit.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 2:25 am    

Per this page, 120 mA

http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

I don't know the reliability of his info.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 2:48 am    

WOW thx Jon, I didn't even know that site existed ! Makes total sense now ! As luck would have it, the supply I was using is the only one that I own ( several) which is 100 MA rated. Luck of the draw evidently !

Live and Learn ! Laughing

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 4:33 am     Nux Atlantic reverb/delay

How does the reverb compare to the Wet Reverb?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 5:30 am    

Some of those published current draws seem low, and are low. For example the Boss DD5 published current is 65 ma but the current listed on that site is 57.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 7:02 am    

Here are my settings. I am using a One Spot for power. I am using 80's delay and plate reverb. I just like that combination.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 1:05 pm    

Thanks, Dale.

I'll have to try the Parallel mode. You and Tony both use that. Mine is set to Serial with Delay first and Reverb last.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2021 2:17 pm    

Update, I compared Tony's delay and reverb settings to what I came up with and they are nearly the same except I'm using Serial instead of Parallel mode. I tried Parallel and couldn't hear much difference just testing. Maybe would make a difference if I ever get to play a live gig again.

Dale's delay is a little more that I like for most. It would be nice to have a couple settings that could be programmed into the unit.

I'm using it in the effects loop on my Quilter TB202 amp. I tried the single TRS plug in the Input jack to two TS plugs for the amp Send and Return, and it works. Nice Feature.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2021 3:41 pm    

On the power supply -

User manual here - https://v2sources.siiite.com//enclosure/sources/OEAqGTdwrWdDVJOQ/NUX%20NDR-5%20Atlantic%20User%20Manual.pdf

Spec says 9V DC (Negative tip, Optional ACD-006A Adapter)

ACD-006A is a 500 ma supply - https://www.thepedalguy.com/products/nux-acd-006a-switching-power-adapter

But the link Jon gave is a summary of actual measured maximum power draws for various pedals. I would add at least 10-20% to any measurement like that. I'm pretty confident any responsible manufacturer would do the same, so a 65 ma rating for something measured at maximum 57 ma seems very reasonable. In fact, I think some makers significantly over-spec the required supply to make sure to avoid issues.

But maximum power draw is only one issue in deciding what one needs to power a pedalboard. Some pedals simply do not play well with others on the same non-isolated power supply. That is why many higher-end power supply bricks have several separate isolated supplies. You can drop some serious coin on these. I try to avoid pedals that require these kinds of mondo power requirements. Most of the issues I have noticed are high-draw digital pedals.

My experience is that most relatively low-current-consumption analog pedals work fine on a single non-isolated supply with plenty of reserve current capacity. I typically use a One-Spot (1700 max current draw capacity) to power anything from 5 to 8 of these low-draw 9V DC negative tip pedals without big issues. I keep extras of these supplies around. But there are exceptions, and the only way to know is to add one pedal at a time and see if the noise gets worse as new pedals are added.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 12:48 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Update, I compared Tony's delay and reverb settings to what I came up with and they are nearly the same

Jack, I may change the settings slightly based on the room etc. What I posted is probably ABOUT right ! Laughing

these are knobs with no exact numbers correlation , we adjust to our ears ! Very Happy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 2:08 am    

Tony, have you compared Serial and Parallel? I've always used serial with the POD X3. I set the Atlantic Serial and noted I tried Parallel and didn't hear any real difference.

In ref to the NUX 500ma power supply. That is their stock power supply for many devices, still don't have their (un)published current draw.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 4:43 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Tony, have you compared Serial and Parallel? I've always used serial with the POD X3. I set the Atlantic Serial and noted I tried Parallel and didn't hear any real difference.

In ref to the NUX 500ma power supply. That is their stock power supply for many devices, still don't have their (un)published current draw.

Jack I never noticed a difference between the two so Parallel it is ! Very Happy

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 5:02 pm    

On Serial Mode, you can create a deep-reflection reverb with wet or dry repeats, or you can split your guitar signal, and add both effects in the parallel chain. Each effect will be mixed with separated dry signals.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 4:32 pm    

I just got one of these and experimented with the settings for about an hour.

Input level switch set on +4 db

Routing Switch on Serial
I like the delay to effect the reverb. It gives the reverb a little more tail (lush).

I settled on 70's delay because of it's simplicity, clean and control.

Reverb is on Hall. I like to have a longer tail and be able to adjust it to trail off.

The delay level knob is shown for fast songs. I dial it clockwise for slower songs. Since I'm set in Serial mode, the delay level knob will also give the reverb a little boost or cut for slow or fast songs.

I've always used Buddy Emmons live delay settings that he used with his Echoplex during the early 70's. First repeat half the volume of the intitial note. Second repeat is half the volume of the first repeat. The last repeat is barely audible. Then I use the reverb to trail off at the end. The Hall reverb gives me a lot to contour. The tail on the spring reverb just never sounded natural to me. Plate reverb doesn't sound spacious enough for trimming.

1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Walker Owsley

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2023 8:13 am    

Jumping in here late to say that I just bought a Nux Atlantic and am returning it. After a few hours of playing through it, it started cutting out and resetting after only a few seconds of use. I read on here and elsewhere that a firmware update would solve the issue, so I tried doing that. It didn't solve the issue. It was a cool pedal while it lasted! And not everyone has the issue I did, so it's probably just inconsistent.