The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Baby Bloomer
Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 1:59 pm    

I’m really excited to share this.. Jay Dee Maness had already told me about it then John Macy stopped by Lubbock a couple of days ago and let me try out his new Baby Bloomer pedal by Goodrich Sound.. This thing is really almost indescribable. The best way I know to describe what it does is that it gives you a tube vibe without changing your tone like some of others I’ve tried.. It seemed to enhance the growl that my Zum Hybrid already had.. Anyway, I just now ordered one and should get it next week.. Can’t wait to get it here..

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 3:35 pm    

Sounds way cool Wally. Thanks for the heads up.

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 5:44 am    

Looks like they are out of pedals at this time are they going to be making more of them?

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 9:45 am    

We have 20-ish Baby Bloomers shipping next week. If you would like to pre order, we are making that available today. Thanks Wally!! Glad you like it. I played one on at least 30 gigs while developing this and love it. Guitar too. Check the website to order.
https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/product/bloomer-preamp-pedal/

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 10:35 am    

kevin ryan wrote:
We have 20-ish Baby Bloomers shipping next week. If you would like to pre order, we are making that available today. Thanks Wally!! Glad you like it. I played one on at least 30 gigs while developing this and love it. Guitar too. Check the website to order.
https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/product/bloomer-preamp-pedal/

Kevin,
Cant wait to start using mine!
What a cool pedal!

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 10:49 am    

Just now ordered one. Butch in NC

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 3:27 pm    

Butch Mullen wrote:
Just now ordered one. Butch in NC

Congrats, you will love it!

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 3:51 pm    

Ordered one earlier today . Thanks Kevin and Wally for the heads up.
Dale

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 3:59 pm    

DALE WHITENER wrote:
Ordered one earlier today . Thanks Kevin and Wally for the heads up.
Dale

That's great, lets us know what you think when you get it..

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 8:05 am     Baby Bloomer

It appears this and the Black Box are designed to do the same thing, so I'll beat everybody to the obvious question. How do they compare? The Black Box has the variable Z tone control. Does the Baby Bloomer have a tone control?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 10:30 am    

George,
I think you are comparing apples to oranges.
The Black Box comes right after the guitar, the Baby Bloomer comes right before the amp. Very Happy
Erv

Larry Beem

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 1:48 pm     Bb

I have been running both, Black Box right after my pickup, and the Baby Bloomer at the end. So BB, VP, Wet Reverb, BB, amp. Its glorious!!

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 5:46 pm    

Same here, Larry!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 4:46 am     Baby Bloomer

I have had two Black Boxes, but now I'm just using a Free Loader. I keep going back and forth between my Wet Reverb and the spring reverb in my Evans. They both sound good, but different. I just recently acquired a 74 Emmons bolt on. I like my AB 500k pot pedal with this guitar, better than my active pedal. I really like the tone and clarity I'm getting. I'm experimenting with just the pot pedal and the spring reverb in my 80's Derrell Stephens built Evans FET 500.

I had a Marsh 40 watt Meloverb tube head, but I traded it back to Mike and he's now building me an 85 watt head. I liked the large spring reverb with the 3 controls in the Marsh. I really would like to eliminate all electronic gizmos except the Free Loader and just get the pure sound of my Emmons pp with the original single coil pickups. I have the first gig tonight in 14 months. I'm going to start out with no electronic do-dads, just guitar, pot pedal, and spring reverb and see how it sets with the band. It sounds good here at home. I would like to try a Baby Bloomer, even though I'm contradicting myself by saying I'm trying to wean myself of electronics gadgets.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 10:53 pm    

Larry Beem, John Macy, if you could only use one of them, which one would it be?

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 6:48 am    

Like you George I have eliminated all the "gadgets" between the pickup and the amp...with the exception of my Hilton volume pedal.
My Hilton pedal is the "older" version that has a volume, tone, and on/off point control located on the under side of the pedal.

I can't justify laying out $1,000 for an amp. and then not being able to get the sound I want with the amps's controls.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 10:15 am    

For live gigs, the simplicity and placement of the Bloomer makes it easy. I’ve always done sessions with the Black Box and it sounds great with the Bloomer. However after I got back to my Texas place I realized I left the Black Box in Colorado and my recording rig here sounds great with just the Bloomer, too.

Bob Watson

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 11:35 pm    

Thanks for the reply John. I have been curious about the Black Box for quite sometime. Steel players seem to love them but I'm also curious to hear what it would sound like with my Takamine acoustic/electric guitar on live gigs, so it could possibly serve two purposes. The Baby Bloomer sounds interesting too. I understand that they both have a subtle effect, so I'm hoping to be able to try both of them out sometime.

Larry Beem

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 11:09 am    

Bob Watson wrote:
Larry Beem, John Macy, if you could only use one of them, which one would it be?

Thats a tough call. I just got the Bloomer obviously, and have been using the Black Box for a long time. I really dont want to sacrifice either one now. I play through solid state amps and I like what the Black box does for adding tube warmth. I think the Bloomer makes that sound more pronounced. The combination is killer!!
I know thats not much of an answer, but now if I shut down the Bloomer, the whole thing feels like it dies. I can turn down my amp volume and still get a rich full, loud amp kind of feel with the Bloomer.

Bob Watson

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 1:38 pm    

Larry Beem, Thanks for your reply, it speaks volumes (pun intended). In all seriousness, your description couldn't be better. I have a nice old Peavey Session 400 and a Fender Twin with a 15" speaker in it, but they are both heavy amps. They sound great but they have a lot of presence and seduce me to play a little louder than I should in some of the smaller clubs I play at. Consequently I've been using a Roland Cube 60 modeling amp for quite awhile and it has done a great job of serving my purposes. I just picked up a Gallien Krueger MB112 and it has the punch of the bigger amps but doesn't weigh any more than the Roland Cube. It sounds great, but I'm thinking a Black Box or the New Baby Bloomer might enhance it's tone even more. I need to get a few gigs with it under my belt before I decide if and when to pull the trigger on a buffer or a preamp, but both of these sound really interesting. I really appreciate your input.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 8:14 pm    

Is this basically recreating the preamp section of an echoplex similar to an Xotic Effects EP Booster but with some enhancements maybe? I built an EP3 booster pedal for my 6 string pedalboard and loved it. Always left it on. Fattened everything up and when you shut it off your tone sounded thin and lifeless so you immediately turn it back on. Sounds like an awesome product.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 12:27 pm    

So typical.

1. I don’t understand what this does or how it does it.
2. I need one.

Am I the only one ?

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 5:56 am    

To add to the fun, there was already a topic running shortly before this one was started.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=367513

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 6:13 am    

Steve Spitz wrote:
So typical.

1. I don’t understand what this does or how it does it.
2. I need one.

Am I the only one ?

Makes the world go around... Very Happy

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2021 10:11 pm    

So I listened to the demo and don’t see how it is different from an Echoplex set on short delay….or, I suppose, any delay pedal.
Help me out here! Of course I want one, because everybody seems to want one…but I’d like to know why!
Would you use this instead of a delay/reverb (I now use a little of each of those)?