The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ISO: Advice from the touring steel player
Parker Brown

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 9:14 pm    

I just got hired for a group that will be touring in October and beyond. I currently have an old Zum D-10 that sounds amazing, but it is very (very) heavy and I am also only going to be using the E9 neck. What advice can you give me? Search for a new and lighter single neck or just haul the Zum around? I appreciate anyone taking the time to help me out.
Best,
Parker Brown

Patrick McHenry

PNW
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 9:16 pm    

Mullen discovery is what i take on tour, very light, also can come along with you on a plane

Email: patrickwmchenry@gmail.com

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 10:40 pm    

I suppose it depends on whether you think you'll have some time to practice the C6 neck while your on the road, or if there might be a possibility of playing the C6 neck on a song or two later on. If not, you might as well go with a single neck.

Robert Pastore

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 9:58 am    

I bought a Justice Pro Lite for just such an occasion. It's 47 pounds in the case. You sacrifice a little sturdiness with such a light guitar but overall it plays and feels great.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 1:06 pm     Steel Weight

My Excel is S10 is 33lbs in the case , short with keyless feature...fits in the overhead if you fly... Very Happy

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 2:11 pm    

Congrats on the gig. This thread was about flying on commercial airliners, good beta

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=367991

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 2:48 am    

Parker I went out once with s10 push pull only. And found myself missing the c6. From then on I bought flight cases for d10 emmons and d10 sho bud and on some trips paid to take both guitars.

If I ever tour again I would take d10...just because I tend to play as much as possible on c6. This is just a personal preference

I imagine if the show had an absolute standard set list that the artists would absolutely stick to, I can see the benefit of taking the single neck for certain.

Just my $.02

Chris Johnson

USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 9:35 am    

If you don't already, get a flight-ready high quality case w/t wheels (under 50lbs total), get a TSA Pre-Check and stay away from the bar

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 7:56 pm    

Flying or driving? Either way, only take what you need!

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 7:01 am    

If you take the heavy Zum you will for sure be harassed by the weight and depending on the check in assistant, you will be stopped and told your case is too heavy and to pay more money. I used to fly with a heavy ShoBud, and I took the pedal bar and leg/rod pouch out and placed them in a sport/bat sports bag. Bag traveled fine and I never had a problem. But airlines kept damaging my steel. Top of the case ripped off on one flight. Damaged pack a seat another flight. So if you are flying just be prepared for the damage. The Musician Union has a great insurance program for traveling musicians. I would suggest to join your local and get the insurance. They specialize in the traveling musician and will support you and take care of any damage.

Anthony Parish

Austin
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 9:20 am    

The biggest part of the "light single-neck" option is finding one that can give you what you already get from your D10. I have a Zum Encore and had a GFI Expo, and they're both great guitars weighing under 50lbs in the case. However, when you play them they feel very different from the old D10 guitars. They have a different vibe. They require a different touch (especially with the levers). A step in between the heavy D10 and the light S10 could be one of the heavier SD10s (think Sho-Bud LDG, etc). That may provide a similar playing vibe as the E9 neck on your D10, but it wouldn't help much on the weight problem.

Bottom line: if you find a single 10 that does the job, go for it. But finding the *right* one is the key.

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 6:52 pm    

Just my two cents regarding traveling with heavy stuff. I'm a career musician flying often with a tuba & case.

Do what you can to get under the regs (50 lbs or whatever). Single neck, split case perhaps, whatever.

If you fly, every leg of the flight you never know what they will do. I'm government so sometimes they give me a break and it's never on me but it's at the will of the agent at the time.

Make it easy on yourself.

Parker Brown

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 7:31 pm    

Thank you everyone! This is all very helpful. I've had two recommendations for the Zum Encore so I may pursue that. I have a short run with the group during the first two weeks of June so I'll have to act fast or just see how the D10 handles out there (or my back). Again, thank you so much and if anyone has any leads on an Encore, please let me know. I am in the middle of Montana and there's not much for steel shopping around here.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 8:11 pm    

Parker- Encores sell FAST!!!!

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 12:38 pm    

I have an Emmons P/P D10 and a Zum D10 and a Zum Encore. Unless I know I'm going to be able to play 2 or 3 songs on the C6 neck on the gig, I take the Zum Encore. It's a great sounding and playing steel.