The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two months in and I've been asked to join a band!
Blake Cannon

Golden, CO
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 1:37 pm    

Hey guys,

I made a post a few months ago about getting my GFI Expo, it being a bit broken, and got it fixed.

Just thought I'd share some exciting news.

I've been asked to join a band. The band (Derek Hall & The Possibilities). We'll be playing a mix of originals which I'll play pedal steel on and some rock covers which I'll either play pedal steel or 6-string for.

I've had one jam session so far where I learned a couple originals, and didn't get run off Very Happy but a more formal rehearsal is next friday. With more songs to learn.

We'll be working on the following:
    1)Savin Money (Derek Hall)
    2)Roll the Dice (Derek Hall)
    3)G in Jeezus (Derek Hall)
    4)Rivers Move On (Derek Hall)
    5)Yer So Bad (Tom Petty)
    6)Mama Tried (Haggard)
    7)I’ve Just Seen a Face (Beatles)

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. I'll be playing pedal steel on everything but Yer So Bad (it's too fast). I actually found Mama Tried on this forum, such a great place.

What I've been doing is taking his chord charts, translating them to Nashville Numbers, and then I use that to figure out the chords.

The gigs will come assuming COVID takes a bit of a break. Kind of a nice thing cause I'll have more time to practice.

I guess it's time to finally get a Steelers Choice seat instead of using my 60 year old fold up chair.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the exciting news! Take care everyone.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 1:52 pm    

Quote:
Any tips or pointers would be appreciated

"Melody; Melody; Melody"
Ricky

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 2:02 pm    

I like your attitude.
I was already playing lap steel in a band when i got my first pedal steel.
I took it to rehearsal the first week,and for 2 months only used AB pedals.
I aint got much advice; but you"ll get better quicker playing in a group like you are doing.
Record yourself with the group,helped me alot.

Larry Beem

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 2:33 pm    

Something I see a lot with new players in a band, remember not to overplay. Its ok to ease off the volume and just move some air in the background, but its real easy to catch yourself playing all the time and overdo it.

Congrats and have fun!!

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 3:00 pm    

Same as Larry and Ricky.... Relax and have fun....

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 3:12 pm    

Good on you. Good to see another steel player willing to tackle all styles of music.

I've Just Seen a Face is on the list at the jam barn. I do just fine with the chorus, but haven't found the right stuff for the verse. Maybe you can offer this old timer a tip or two when you get to it.

David Ellison

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 3:15 pm    

My advice is to record your rehearsals and live gigs. The first time a friend recorded a live gig I played, I learned so much from just hearing it once... things about dynamics and volume that you don't pick up on until you hear the whole band from a distance. I became a much better player by doing that.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 3:28 pm    

All of the above, plus the best way to learn is on the job. The other guys will be so mystified by your instrument that you'll be able to do no wrong. (My band think I'm a genius when in reality I'm just about adequate Smile )

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 7:16 pm    

Congratulations Blake, Good Luck on your adventure.
Glad I could help you get your guitar problem worked out and enjoying your new challenge. bj

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 11:36 pm    

congrats ! have fun and don't forget to record every gig ! Very Happy Zoom H2 will become your best friend. And don't share the recordings, they are for your educational purposes only.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 3:45 am    

keep it simple ! support the vocals, less is more, play to the tune ! congratulations on the gig !

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 5:26 am    

I joined a modern country band (Country Roads) this past June with 3 years under my belt, great advice here. Don’t overplay, less is more, insert tasty licks. My PSG playing has advanced rapidly since joining the band.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 6:57 am    

Way to go! The advice here is solid: relax, listen, and don't overplay.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 7:11 am    

Get recordings of the songs (without Pedal Steel on the recording), and play along with them on your own time, and figure out the general pedal/lever/fret/string(s) playing positions you are going to use.
Record everything you play with the band, and go back and listen and check your string/pedal/lever tuning, and bar-positon in-tune-a-tion, to ensure you are in tune with the group.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 7:47 am    

Congratulations, Blake!

You're likely to progress rapidly. I was also fortunate to join a band early on. I discovered that six nights on the bandstand were worth six months of weekly private lessons, and that's not a knock on the exceptional players I took lessons from. It was infinitely more enjoyable playing along with other live, warm, breathing bodies, than it was playing along and practicing with a cassette (remember them?).

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 8:45 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Get recordings of the songs (without Pedal Steel on the recording), and play along with them on your own time, and figure out the general pedal/lever/fret/string(s) playing positions you are going to use.
Record everything you play with the band, and go back and listen and check your string/pedal/lever tuning, and bar-positon in-tune-a-tion, to ensure you are in tune with the group.

I have even recorded the band I was playing in without me and used the recording to find my parts. A simple live recording can be very useful for days between rehearsals. This might be what Pete was saying. If so, just do what Pete said! Haha
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 9:47 am    

Rick Abbott wrote:
Pete Burak wrote:

I have even recorded the band I was playing in without me and used the recording to find my parts. A simple live recording can be very useful for days between rehearsals. This might be what Pete was saying. If so, just do what Pete said! Haha

Yes!
Also, Can you tell us what the other instruments in the band are?
For example, in my experience, the only instruments that should play from the beginning to ending of every song are the Drums, Bass, and Acoustic strummer if there is one. Try to establish a musical conversation with the Lead guitarist. You play while I lay out, then I play while you lay out. It's not a conversation if one person is talking all the time.
Try not to play Rhythm-Steel. It often makes the whole band sound out of tune.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 11:21 am    

As others have said, play simple. Don't try to get fancy. Play more single notes than chords, and more two note chords than three note chords.

Don't venture much above the 12th frets. It's too hard to stay in tune in the upper register when you are new to the instrument.

Trust your ears on intonation. Don't just play the fret lines and think you are in tune. Really pay attention to intonation. If it sounds out of tune, it is.

Blake Cannon

Golden, CO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 6:38 am    

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm doing lots of padding mostly with two strings. Nothing fancy cause I've only been playing for a couple months.

Highest I'm going is 10th fret to play in D key.