The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fiber cases
Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 7:14 am    

Who is currently taking orders for making custom fiber cases?
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2021 5:05 pm    

I'd be interested in a fiber case also.

Peter Leavenworth

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 3:12 am     Fiber cases

Len, after a search of previous discussions on this topic here on the forum, the only company I found that's currently making cases is the Philly Case Co. They told me they don't do fiber cases any more but do custom high density polyethylene cases which they said were lighter and stronger. I'm waiting for a quote from them for two D-10 cases. They have had experience making steel guitar cases but the company rep said to very specific about dimensions.
I may have over-explained my description but the rep advised sending a photo as well. I hope to hear back from them today, I'll let you know what they say.
Peter
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 6:03 am    

Is Steve Hinson's "Brand X" fiber cases still in business?

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 6:07 am    

Forum member Steve Hinson was making Brand X cases.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=312725&sid=85ed8504f556572f706b3dc3986267dc

I also recall reading that some members adapt foam lined keyboard cases like those that are available from musician's supply companies.

Peter Leavenworth

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 1:14 pm     Fiber cases

I was in touch with Steve last August/September to make some cases but lost contact. He did say that he was very busy with his regular job, haven't heard from him since. I hope he gets back into making fiber cases since they were very good. I understand that fiber case aren't for folks who are doing serious travelling/touring but for us weekend warriors
they're a godsend.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 2:14 pm    

My Williams keyless has split anvil-type flight cases that are very heavy. I would like to get a lightweight split case for the limited number of times I play out.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 5:31 pm    

That darn Steve Hinson was too busy earning a living as a musician to make me a fiber case a few years ago.

The nerve of that guy!

Smile

Here is what I ended up doing.

Click Here

My gigs are all a short drive from home. This case is perfect for my needs.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 9:06 pm    

Hi Peter- I toured with only brand x fiber cases in the last ~ 4 years-although the last one doesn't really count. That's a rough 2-5 shows weekly, buses and vans, the occasional few months straight at a time, a few flights a week some months-D10's and S10's- I'd take a good fiber case over a 'flight case' in any real life situation, unless I somehow was certain I'd never have to carry my gear/pay airline overages myself again. I'd contend they make life easier for musicians in any situation, and I see a hole in the market - best of luck.

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 10:30 pm     Re: Fiber cases

Peter Leavenworth wrote:
Len, after a search of previous discussions on this topic here on the forum, the only company I found that's currently making cases is the Philly Case Co. They told me they don't do fiber cases any more but do custom high density polyethylene cases which they said were lighter and stronger. I'm waiting for a quote from them for two D-10 cases. They have had experience making steel guitar cases but the company rep said to very specific about dimensions.
I may have over-explained my description but the rep advised sending a photo as well. I hope to hear back from them today, I'll let you know what they say.
Peter

I have a Philly case that was custom ordered two years ago for some touring. Despite exchanging many emails with photos and a couple phone conversations, it was... not right. I was adamant about the weight being under 50 lbs with my steel in it, and was convinced *over the phone* to go with thicker material for durability while being assured the weight wouldn’t be an issue. I relented and paid more. When it arrived, the weight was nearly 10 lbs over and they claimed those details were never discussed! I referenced follow-up emails but the actual number wasn’t mentioned so I was screwed. I could have returned it but the shipping was very expensive because it was too heavy. UGH.

The case is very well-made, I would just STRONGLY suggest getting every detail in writing.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2021 11:42 pm    

Has anyone compared the weight of a fiber cases against say a case made with 4mm Luan plywood top and bottom capping 3/4" pine sides?
I got this idea from Jerry Fessenden and made myself an extremely light weight yet stiff case.
It's also very easily constructed. I speculate it's easier than trying to make a box from fiber.
It's material science. The best case will use extremely stiff material that is lightweight.
I personally think fiber is not stiff enough to protect its' contents against the tine of a fork lift for example.
In addition it seems to gather moisture and distort. I speculate it is heavier than the luan/pine. I got this impression from my experience moving a drummers fiber cases around.
I suppose one advantage of fiber is cost. Typically, a fiber case is not covered with anything - less labor.
With this in mind I simply stained my Luan/pine case darker so top bottom and sides looked similar then applied polyurethane. I didn't use corners but simply rounded over the vertical edges. It's held up fine for the last 10 years.

Peter Leavenworth

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 4:43 pm     Fiber cases

Marc, were the case you ended up with the high density polyethylene cases or a different materials?
Peter

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 3:04 pm    

Polyethylene I believe Peter.

Peter Leavenworth

Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 5:17 pm     Fiber cases

Marc, PM sent

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 5:35 pm    

Hi fellas!

I got COVID in October and almost checked out...

I missed the whole last quarter of 2020...

I've been busy in the studios since mid-January...

PM me...

SH

Gary Newcomb

AustinTexas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 11:29 am    

Not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for but these are made here in Austin and are pretty awesome (but definitely not cheap) custom cases.

https://www.calton-cases.com/