The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  To recone or not to recone....
Jeffrey Shu

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 5:44 am    

As a vintage-gear fan, I'm increasingly aware of my obligation to pay it forward - to maintain these jewels for the next users, whomever they may be. Along those lines, I bifurcated and modified a '78 TRSF Ultralinear model before eventually moving to a '74. I can keep the '78 easier than selling it right now, but figure at some point someone will love this amp like I did. However, one of the original speakers has a bad coil.

I'm thinking future, not my own use - but if and when I sell the '78 head, should I have the bad speaker reconed to keep the originals together (this isn't going to be a collector's item - definitely a rat-rod)? If I do one speaker, should I get the other done too? Or are these easily replaceable or otherwise undesirable, so best not to bother? $250-$300 is a lot of paying forward, of course, for a rig that already has been modded so won't interest some, but I get sentimental at keeping the set together.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 6:30 am    

IMO sell it with the caveat that one speaker is toast... the new owner will probably opt for a boutique (or other) speaker setup. Not very often you buy a Twin Reverb because of the speakers in it... and a '78 is not going to win any vintage amp awards. You should have a good 4ohm load for the prospective buyer to test with... your other SFTR would do that.

That said, I recently bought what amounts to your '74, 100w push-pull MV, for the speakers in it... a pair of EV12L's. It has a new quad of matched final tubes too. I did have to replace the final sockets, but I'm qualified to do that and I took the opportunity to re-wire with solid core for the final section.

Jeffrey Shu

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 4:27 am    

Thanks, Stephen. Hate to not pass on a fully functional cab, but I bet you're right that it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for anyone looking for this kind of amp. The EV's you mentioned were custom? I'm assuming mine are Oxfords in a '78, but haven't verified.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 4:33 pm    

Jeffrey Shu wrote:
Thanks, Stephen. Hate to not pass on a fully functional cab, but I bet you're right that it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for anyone looking for this kind of amp. The EV's you mentioned were custom? I'm assuming mine are Oxfords in a '78, but haven't verified.

Custom? Well, some owner put them in, back when you could get them. They look like OEM's from Ray Hennig, he sure sold a lot of EV12L and EV15L back in the day.

Jeffrey Shu

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 6:58 am    

Could be wrong, but as I understand it, you could custom order JBLs in the cab - I assume that was a factory option.
I'm not familiar with EVs - from what you said, sounds like an owner mod. Apparently, I should find out more about EVs Smile