The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dennis Payne R.I.P.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 1:26 pm    

Dennis Payne, Nashville Guitarist, Songwriter, and Recording Engineer passed away Thursday morning (4-8-21) at 10:30am. He suffered with complications following a recent back surgery. For those of you not familiar with Dennis, he wrote the song "Highway Patrol" that was recorded by Junior Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ivRyVz6Rc

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 6:40 pm    

Used to see Dennis on Dave Stogner’s Country Corner a daily CM TV shoe here in Bakersfield in the mid 1960’s. It featured Norm Hamlet on pedal steel and Red Simpson. A funny story I remember about Dennis on one of the shows is when he started to sing a song and suddenly stopped and said “ I forgot the words”. He was really good on ballads. RIP !!

Laney Hicks

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 7:06 pm    

This has saddened Russ and me so to the core. We both loved Dennis as a musician and fine singer. But, there was something good in the man, himself, that we just admired and thought a lot of......and will miss very much. Just knowing he awoke in the tender arms of Jesus helps our human sense of loss....a little bit tonight.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 7:17 pm    

So sorry to hear this. Great writer, picker, singer, you name it, and a nice guy. I used to go see him playing with Smiley whenever I could find him playing in Nashville when I'd be in town. He just kicked butt with that '57 Tele into a Peavey Bandit 65. He made that thing talk. RIP Dennis.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 10:06 pm    

So sad to read this. Dennis was a great guy, great musician and singer and has a pretty cool Bakersfield-related history. He put out records under his own name on various labels in the 60s and 70s and did sessions as a guitar player; he's featured on the recent Bear Family box-set on Bakersfield.

I've known Dennis since the mid-eighties when I'd just moved to town and he married a good friend of mine; he always had some great stories. More recently he was playing guitar and singing with Becky Hinson and the Nashville Palace Band a few years back and I got to play some gigs with them and renew our acquaintance. I knew he was not in great health, but sure hate to hear this.
RIP Dennis

Here's a link with some of his history:
http://www.rockabillyhall.com/DennisPayne1.html

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 7:07 am    

Talk about a coinsidence . . . last night we were watching "Hee Haw" on Circle TV about 8:15pm or so. Buck Owens started singin "The Girl from Japan" with his Buckaroo's. I noticed the guitar player standing behind Buck was real tall and playing a brownish-sunburst Telecaster. He had a beard and dark hair. But low and behold it was young Dennis Payne back then playing guitar for the Buckaroo's. Seemed weird knowing he had just died about 9 hours before this show aired.